Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for Right After Surgery



Recommended Posts

Hey all

I had my sleeve on Monday and overall I feel pretty good, but have some questions for some of you veterans:

1. Does anyone know a liquid Tylenol without sugar? I am having a terrible time getting my medication in me in a reasonable amount of time.

2. Does the nausea feeling fade? I am having a difficult time choking down Protein drinks; I tried a protein Water but it was so sweet and chemically I threw it back up. I can tolerate the taste of Iconic Protein Drinks (have Stevia instead of the other fake sugars) but after 4 to 6 ounces I get nauseous and cannot finish the drink;

3. Did anyone else have headaches? I am wondering if it is from a bit of dehydration and just plain hunger. Once I get the Tylenol in it goes away.

4. Any ideas for protein water that does not taste so sweet?

5. When did you weigh yourself?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm too far out to remember some of this stuff, but as far as weighing yourself goes, wait a week. They pump you full of salt Water (IV fluid) during your hospital stay, so most of us come back home weighing more than what we did when we went to the hospital. But it's all Fluid. If you wait a week, that fluid will have worked its way out of your system - and you may be down an additional couple of pounds as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I'm too far out to remember some of this stuff, but as far as weighing yourself goes, wait a week. They pump you full of salt Water (IV fluid) during your hospital stay, so most of us come back home weighing more than what we did when we went to the hospital. But it's all Fluid. If you wait a week, that Fluid will have worked its way out of your system - and you may be down an additional couple of pounds as well.

Thanks. I feel really large and bloated, so I've avoided the scale. (I've had lots of practice in avoiding that thing...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I'm too far out to remember some of this stuff, but as far as weighing yourself goes, wait a week. They pump you full of salt Water (IV fluid) during your hospital stay, so most of us come back home weighing more than what we did when we went to the hospital. But it's all Fluid. If you wait a week, that Fluid will have worked its way out of your system - and you may be down an additional couple of pounds as well.

This is so true! I came home after 4.5 days in the hospital weighing in at 229 when I went in for surgery I was 214! It took almost 2 weeks to lose the Water weight from the hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't weigh myself for about 2 months out. I didn't need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

1. Does anyone know a liquid Tylenol without sugar? I am having a terrible time getting my medication in me in a reasonable amount of time.

2. Does the nausea feeling fade? I am having a difficult time choking down Protein drinks; I tried a Protein Water but it was so sweet and chemically I threw it back up. I can tolerate the taste of Iconic Protein Drinks (have Stevia instead of the other fake sugars) but after 4 to 6 ounces I get nauseous and cannot finish the drink;

3. Did anyone else have headaches? I am wondering if it is from a bit of dehydration and just plain hunger. Once I get the Tylenol in it goes away.

4. Any ideas for protein Water that does not taste so sweet?

5. When did you weigh yourself?

1. I do not think they make sugar free Tylenol the taste would be unbarable

2. Yes as time goes on you will be less Nausea, Try the Core Power brand of PDs The banana is reall good

3. I did not get headaches

4. Dilute the protein water Half and Half with water or a gatoraide

5. Do not get addicted to the scale - I logged and weighed myself twice a month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

1. I do not think they make sugar free Tylenol the taste would be unbarable

2. Yes as time goes on you will be less Nausea, Try the Core Power brand of PDs The banana is reall good

3. I did not get headaches

4. Dilute the Protein Water Half and Half with water or a gatoraide

5. Do not get addicted to the scale - I logged and weighed myself twice a month

Thank you for the suggestions. I know this is a short term issue, but all this fake sweet is making me nauseaus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

I didn't weigh myself for about 2 months out. I didn't need it.

Wow! That is a long while to wait, I think the curiosity will get to me before then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. I don't think they make a sugar-free Tylenol liquid. That being said, there are alternatives. Me, I used children's chewable Tylenol. I only used it for about a week or 2, so I wasn't concerned with the sugar in it. If you're that averse to any form of sugar: crush regular Tylenol (NOT EXTENDED RELEASE) and put it in whatever SF medium you like: Protein Drink, pudding, etc.

2. The only nausea I had was while I was in the hospital. It went away by the time I got home.

3. Headaches can be caused by multiple things. Yes, if you're dehydrated, you can get a headache. You can also get them from carb-withdrawal. 2 possibilities I see here. Stay hydrated and stay the course. It should get better.

4. Sorry, no suggestions for non-sweet Protein Water. BUT, Unjury brand protein supplements offer savory varieties. I like the chicken Soup one. *They're a little high in sodium content, but a welcome break from the sweet varieties.

5. I didn't weigh myself for at least a week after surgery. I honestly didn't really care. I was so focused on recovering that I wasn't worried about it. Besides, I didn't think it would be terribly accurate because of all the Fluid shifting related to surgery. They pump you full of IV fluids and your body itself is adjusting to the trauma of surgery. Be patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, S@ssen@ch said:

1. I don't think they make a sugar-free Tylenol liquid. That being said, there are alternatives. Me, I used children's chewable Tylenol. I only used it for about a week or 2, so I wasn't concerned with the sugar in it. If you're that averse to any form of sugar: crush regular Tylenol (NOT EXTENDED RELEASE) and put it in whatever SF medium you like: Protein Drink, pudding, etc.

2. The only nausea I had was while I was in the hospital. It went away by the time I got home.

3. Headaches can be caused by multiple things. Yes, if you're dehydrated, you can get a headache. You can also get them from carb-withdrawal. 2 possibilities I see here. Stay hydrated and stay the course. It should get better.

4. Sorry, no suggestions for non-sweet Protein Water. BUT, Unjury brand Protein supplements offer savory varieties. I like the chicken Soup one. *They're a little high in sodium content, but a welcome break from the sweet varieties.

5. I didn't weigh myself for at least a week after surgery. I honestly didn't really care. I was so focused on recovering that I wasn't worried about it. Besides, I didn't think it would be terribly accurate because of all the Fluid shifting related to surgery. They pump you full of IV fluids and your body itself is adjusting to the trauma of surgery. Be patient.

Thank you so much. I really am not adverse to the small amount of sugar that would be in liquid Tylenol for kids, but the nurse at the hospital said it could cause "dumping", which of course I don't want.

I'm hoping the nausea gets better soon! the thought of anything other than just Water makes me queasy. I had some chicken Bone Broth yesterday it was a nice break from the sweet stuff, but I could not get it all down. I am going to practice patience.

If I have to do the Protein Drinks 1 oz at a time all day alternating with water then I'll try that. I want to heal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

Wow! That is a long while to wait, I think the curiosity will get to me before then!

Naah...I didn't want it showing 3 digits of kgs...kind of an ease of mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Darbs4Mayor

      Met with my surgeon yesterday and he said that he is so excited for me and the progress that will be made! Waiting for insurance pre-auth and then will get everything scheduled! 
       
      So excited to start this journey and become a new person!! 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      New found appreciation for you all!
      So Im back in the US to take care of my aging father and it seems like more than ever that being bigger is the norm everywhere here. I cant say that Ive been the best, healthiest me at the moment, but I think you all Americans are doing GREAT to even be working towards the goal of getting healthier in face of all this temptation (even if you are a "slow loser"). So give all yourselves a pat on the back!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • zombierayvinn

      I am now 10 days post op and I am down 16lbs. I had an allergic reaction to the glue my doctor used so I am still sore and trying to keep moving to not get stiff. 
      · 1 reply
      1. Tory Myers

        Hello congratulations on your new journey I am 5 days post op and still trying to get the hang of things. I’m supposed to return back to work in a few days but still sore as well. Do you have any advice for me being 5 days post opt?

    • Tabatha529

      Hello,  I am brand new on here. 
      The doctor qualified me yesterday for the surgery, so now I have to take 12 weeks of education classes and then he said they will schedule the surgery 4-6 weeks after I complete the classes. 
      I am excited to start this new journey.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Anki

      Am at the half-way mark of the six month pre-op program.  So excited!  Got clearance from psychologist this morning, so I scheduled my surgery consult for early March.  It is becoming more real now.  Have lost 18 pounds so far, since I began this journey on 12/18/19.  
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×