Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, thanks for accepting me, I’m a 49 year old Male, I’ve just been accepted to surgery( not sure which option yet) had bloods done etc so very early !, probably 1st step!, so I’ve got some questions I’d get advise on that I’m worried about?
basically I’ve had a **** ! 6 months, prior to being accepted I had my gulbladder removed and developed pancreases!, I was discharged only to be readmitted 1 week later with pneumonia, 1 week later discharged,,, 4 days later back in with infection that made pneumonia return!!, was in for 2 weeks then discharged again!!,, 3 days later still shortness of breath,, in and out of hospital for well until now really!!, inbetween all this I had my 1st chat with weight loss surgery team at Whittington hosp!, I’ve got my tier 3 plan etc but they are doing all the tests north mid are doing!, for shortness of breath, so I’m worried that if they find something doing the gut test etc would they stop going forward with the surgery or will they give me time to get back to health?, ,, sorry it’s a bit long winded but it’s taken me 2 years to get this far , I don’t think I could stand being told they will not go ahead with it , Martin x

Whew, you've been through a lot! I'm glad to see you're doing better! What gut test are you worried about? I'm sure if they found something, you'd be right back on track once it's resolved.

You will most definitely have every test done in the world to make sure your body can handle the surgery. Hopefully as you heal and stay healthy you can continue on the weight loss journey! Good luck to you!

I had an EGD/colonoscopy as well as low Iron and other side issues. They found polyps in my stomach and I was sure they wouldn't go forward. I suppose it's up to each individual surgeon to proceed, but mine approved the surgery with no questions. I am just waiting for the scheduler to call me! But I should say, if you are having a lot of health issues, it might not be the best option to press forward until everything is resolved. You don't want any complications post op. Good luck!

Thank you all for replies so far, up until 6-7 months ago I was health free( apart from the liking of buns!!) I played sport, had/ have a manual 12 hour day job etc. Then I had gullstones!!,since that operation I’ve been out of breath and developed bad reflux!, I’ve had every test regarding my lungs, my bloods are fine, my heart is fine.... but I can’t walk 100 yards without getting out of breath!, the thing is both hospital are doing the same tests, I don’t want cross complications and misunderstandings from both teams!, I’ve got my 1st group talk this Thursday and I’ve got the results of my 2ct scan on Friday so I’ll be asking lots of questions by the end of the week!, thanks again for all your help!, Martin

Hi Martin, have you been checked for a hiatal hernia?

I found I had a fairly large one after. Ct scan and my dr told me it does push up on the diaphragm; I had it fixed during my surgery on Wed and I swear I can already tell a difference in my breathing now! Might be something to check into!

I’ve just googled this and I’ll certainly ask questions this week about the possibility of it,.. I’m convinced something happened during my gulbladder removal, they put stents in prior and they had to stop as there was an obstruction!, I’ve not been the same since !, but I guess that’s me just being paranoid!

I had an endoscopy that caused my surgery to be postponed. I had ulcers on my esophagus and had to take medicine and then have another endoscopy to prove that the meds worked. That need to make sure that your in good shape for the surgery.

If you have a hiatal hernia they won't postpone the surgery because they will repair it during that surgery.

Good luck with your pre op tests!