Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Six Months



Recommended Posts

So I just saw my surgeon today to talk about things before surgery (which is MONDAYYYYY), and I had a few questions for you guys based off what he told me.

Has anyone's surgeon recommended following two shakes and a Protein for six months straight (once you can eat food)? He said because I have so much weight I need to lose (157lbs), that the best way is to knock out as much as I can in the first six months, and that it's "guaranteed" to help me drop at least 100lbs.

Even to me, that seems a little extreme, but I wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience or is actively doing so? Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was advised to drink 2 per day for 3 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told to drink Protein Shakes for first 6 weeks, but I can try supplementing with unflavored Protein Powder during the soft food stage if I get bored with shakes. My program is all about eating real, unprocessed food by the end of week 6 and do a liquid “reset” for a day if I find a food my body does not tolerate it.
My surgery is Monday too! Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Silvernova said:

I was told to drink Protein Shakes for first 6 weeks, but I can try supplementing with unflavored Protein Powder during the soft food stage if I get bored with shakes. My program is all about eating real, unprocessed food by the end of week 6 and do a liquid “reset” for a day if I find a food my body does not tolerate it.
My surgery is Monday too! Good luck!

Makes us surgery buddies.

I think he wanted me to do this because I have so much weight to lose compared to some patients. It makes sense, just makes me sad that it'll take me a little longer to get to real food more often, but I'm in this for the long haul, so I can do it. ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m almost 4 weeks post op. I was told over and over that I need to try and get my Protein in from shakes. As I add more food I still need to use the shakes. The longer I do that the more weight I will loose and the less hungry I will be in trying to eat the wrong food. My program is slower than most. I added purées of cookie veggies on my at 2 1/2 weeks. The 4th week I can add more mushie food like cottage cheese. My dr said to enjoy the honeymoon as long as I can so that’s what I will do. It’s hard sometimes but I do better when I’ve had at least 2 shakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on predominantly shakes 3x a day now for over 4 months; I do have yoghurt and hummus here and there but shakes that are high Protein keep me satisfied!

After 4 months and 1 week I've lost 118lbs and I only started at 322 highest.

I feel great and I plan on continuing until I hit my goal :)

Not everyone is lucky like me to rarely even feel hungry at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Superman84 said:

I've been on predominantly shakes 3x a day now for over 4 months; I do have yoghurt and hummus here and there but shakes that are high Protein keep me satisfied!

After 4 months and 1 week I've lost 118lbs and I only started at 322 highest.

I feel great and I plan on continuing until I hit my goal :)

Not everyone is lucky like me to rarely even feel hungry at all

insane weight loss for 4 months i was 347 surgery day and i lost about 100 pounds in a little over 5 months.. i don't see how you can live on that by that time your hunger must have come back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Taz Dillo said:

I’m almost 4 weeks post op. I was told over and over that I need to try and get my Protein in from shakes. As I add more food I still need to use the shakes. The longer I do that the more weight I will loose and the less hungry I will be in trying to eat the wrong food. My program is slower than most. I added purées of cookie veggies on my at 2 1/2 weeks. The 4th week I can add more mushie food like cottage cheese. My dr said to enjoy the honeymoon as long as I can so that’s what I will do. It’s hard sometimes but I do better when I’ve had at least 2 shakes.

This sounds very similar to my program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sammi_Katt said:

Makes us surgery buddies.

I think he wanted me to do this because I have so much weight to lose compared to some patients. It makes sense, just makes me sad that it'll take me a little longer to get to real food more often, but I'm in this for the long haul, so I can do it. ❤️

Yay! I’m happy to have a surgery buddy. We can do it together. The fact you’ve lost about 20lbs pre-surgery is amazing to me. I struggle getting to that point too. I just keep thinking about how wonderful it will be to get off meds and hopefully have energy instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im about 7 months out and I still do Meal Replacement shakes about 2x daily. Heck, I still like them. It keeps me from grabbing junk during the day and stress eating for lunch at work. My blood sugar seems to be on an even keel as well. BUT i do Water them down half way otherwise I could never deal with how sweet they are. In all, Ive taken off about 110 lbs during the last year both before (44 lbs) and after surgery (the rest) if that gives you any indication. I do however need to get some (coffee latte flavored) Protein smoothies going because the shakes can be quite expensive for the ones I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Krestel said:

Im about 7 months out and I still do Meal Replacement shakes about 2x daily. Heck, I still like them. It keeps me from grabbing junk during the day and stress eating for lunch at work. My blood sugar seems to be on an even keel as well. BUT i do Water them down half way otherwise I could never deal with how sweet they are. In all, Ive taken off about 110 lbs during the last year both before (44 lbs) and after surgery (the rest) if that gives you any indication. I do however need to get some (coffee latte flavored) Protein smoothies going because the shakes can be quite expensive for the ones I like.

I love my shakes. I buy powder in bulk 12lbs for $130-$150 which can last me up to 2 months..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • UniquelyMe28

      Exciting news for me. Found out I will be having my surgery October 25th! 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Jrule

      Any od 63 years old  or older having weight loss surgery or have had weight loss surgery.
       
       
      · 2 replies
      1. Ladidi

        I’m 67 and will be 68 when I have my surgery at the beginning of next year.

      2. Maylin

        I’m 67 and had surgery in September.

    • HeBrokeTheChains

      I had surgery on September 27th and I am one of the very blessed ones that have had no pain to speak of besides a couple days of gas pain. I have lost 9 lb since surgery, and I am feeling a little like I should have lost more by now. Is that realistic? Or am I being too fussy?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • QUEEN2021

      Hello everyone.. I had my surgery on Sept 30th 2021.. and it has been an horrible experience to me. I can't hold down fluids or soft food. so much mucus is coming up!! and I'm spitting all day. I'm so sad over this journey. is anyone having this same issue? if so, what are you doing about it. 
      · 1 reply
      1. SleeverSk

        Are you on meds for reflux? If not you should be at this point. If you are already on reflux meds get in touch with your surgeon asap as this is not normal. If fact i would be getting in touch with the surgeon either way. I hope your issue is resolved and you feel better soon

    • Meganator

      Tomorrow is the big day! Getting sleeved in the morning and possibly spending a dark and stormy night in the hospital after. I'm actually excited about that because rain on wedding days and birthdays is considered a sign of good luck- so wouldn't a commitment of re-birth qualify as well?
      Can't wait to see y'all on the other side!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×