Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Morning all,

Its that time where i am starting to think about skin surgery. I am down a total of 127.6 and will be a year out next month. I am thinking about having it done some time in April when i hit the 18 month mark. The weight loss is starting to slow and the last 3 months or so, I have lost 6, 4.4. 7.4 and 5.2. Anybody have any ideas of surgeons and cost? This will be self pay again unless my Dr. Appt on the 15th of this month deems some of it medically necessary, which i do not see happening as i have not had any issues. I am just ready to get the process started. Any ideas and thoughts, suggestions, recovery time, any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Happy Losing!

I can't remember if it was here or on another forum, but when I started looking for plastic surgeons about two years ago, I was told to expect about $8K-10K per procedure (with the LBL counting as two procedures). Of course, depending on location, you could be paying more or less than that, but that seemed to be the average cost. I had three consults, and I'd say that rule of thumb was pretty much on the mark...

P.S. supposedly body contouring surgery on massive weight loss patients is a difficult subspecialty, so try to find someone who specializes in it - or barring that, at least someone who does a TRUCKLOAD of these things (like half their caseload). Also, make sure they're a board certified plastic surgeon.

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I can't remember if it was here or on another forum, but when I started looking for plastic surgeons about two years ago, I was told to expect about $8K-10K per procedure (with the LBL counting as two procedures). Of course, depending on location, you could be paying more or less than that, but that seemed to be the average cost. I had three consults, and I'd say that rule of thumb was pretty much on the mark...

That is the pricing i got from the surgeon that works with my surgeon, but they are a private practice in south florida and do not accept insurance even if its for the panniculectomy. Somebody i used to work with went through the University of South Florida and had it done at Tampa General a few years ago for almost half the cost. The University of Florida offers the same thing which is closer to me. They also told me over the phone that some of the problem areas could be considered reconstructive and not cosmetic. I have an appt with my PCP on the 15th and will see what she says. The UF scares me some because its a college program, and even though there might be interns or residents, there are also Board Certified Doctors... but its almost half the cost. The Lower Body lift and Thigh Lift combined was 10k .. A consult appt is only 50 bucks. I am thinking it is worth the appt just to weigh my options. If somebody highly does not recommend this idea, please let me know.. At this point i am in the beginning stages of it all.

2 hours ago, Jazzy1125 said:

The UF scares me some because its a college program

I agree with @catwoman7 ... I would only go to a very experienced ps who specialized in post massive WL surgeries. There are obviously risk of complications, but also if I'm going to spend thousands, I want to be confident I'll be happy with my results.

I had surgery after my weight loss with the Lap-Band. What I learned for my surgery; you will permanently lose the feeling in the area's lifted or tucked. I liked tummy rubs, no feeling now. Even if you go to someone who has done a lot you may not be happy with the outcome. I ended up with what is called "dog ears" on my Tummy Tuck. It was an outpatient surgery 7 hours and sent home with drains everywhere. Then in about 30 days I threw 3 blood clots and was very lucky and I did not die. I did end up with all 3 in my lungs. It is a very serious surgery and not to be taken lightly. I nearly died and if I had to do it again I would not.