Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure where to go from here

Hi all, I'm new here but have been following along for a few weeks now. I'm 3 weeks post op from my RNY. Started the pureed diet yesterday and have done well so far. Had cream of wheat, chili, and Soup yesterday. Had chili so far today. Didn't get in my liquid intake yesterday but I'm trying today. I feel like now that I'm a few weeks removed from surgery and hitting the pureed stage that I'm not really sure where to go from here with my recovery. I'll obviously keep taking my vitamins/supplements, have a 5 week post op appointment on October 9th, start my full food diet then as well. I guess I just feel kinda lost otherwise as to how to move forward with the rest of my life.

My surgeon/RD haven't really given me any information on what to do going forward. I have my hospital binder with general information. But that's about it. I keep reading it and feel like it doesn't really make things clear on where to go once I'm cleared for full food. How many calories do I aim for a day? What meals should I make? I have no interest in grilled chicken and broccoli for the rest of my life. I'm a variety eater. I need variety. I obviously know I need to stay away from high sugar foods/carbs/sugar in general. But I feel like otherwise I'm kinda lost and in limbo.

I know I have time and could probably ask my RD for help. And I will at my 5 week appointment. Just hoping maybe the veterans around here could chime in with some suggestions on how to not feel lost, their experience, words of encouragement, etc. I guess I should be clear that I don't feel like I'm failing or anything. I'm sticking to what I'm supposed to be doing (or close to it). I'm losing weight. I just want to make sure I continue to do what I'm supposed to. And I feel like I have a game plan until I'm cleared for full food on October 9th, but from there I'm on my own and don't want to fail.

The surgeon's nurse who lead the education class mentioned they have a support group and handed out a flyer on it. But that was about it in the way of support.

Congrats on your surgery and your smooth recovery. It seems like you are doing well.

This website has menus/food/recipes in the food and Nutrition section of the forums.

Also, these websites are helpful with menus/recipes labeled by the stage of food that you're eating:

https://www.bariatriccookery.com/

https://www.bariatriceating.com/bariatric-recipes.html

And an important tip: Not only do you not have to live on grilled chicken and broccoli forever, but grilled chicken will probably be one of the last Proteins that you can comfortably eat! For many of us, it was many, many months before we could handle grilled chicken!

Hope this helps and good luck on your journey!

So welcome and congrats! Yay on being on track and problem free. Make sure to MAKE yourself hydrate. It's more important than eating or vitamins!

Initially during the first 3-4 months (what the RD and doc call the healing phases), your job is very simple.

1. Get your fluids in each day.

2. Get your Vitamins in each day.

3. Get your Protein goals met in each day. Stick to the food stages in your manual! Advance foods per the doc/RD and how easily your pouch handles the new foods/stages.

4. Walk for 60 minutes each day--minimum.

5. sleep well each day.

6. Live. Love. Enjoy your new reality.

7. Stick to the plan. Remain focused. Do not revert to old partying ways that got you to the Obesity Ball the first time around.

8. Get to goal.

Those are your driving motivators each day.

Each day will have different challenges. Hormones WILL flow. You will have picky pouch days. You will have hungry hungry heifer days. You will have days filled with head hunger. You will have days filled with food apathy and aversion. Every day is different, but those 8 rules above never change. They are you J-O-B! And no one can do it, but you.

As you progress, they will give you a little more information with each visit. Right now, your sole focus is on fluids, vitamins, and protein. The calories take care of themselves and to an extent, so do the other macros. But honestly, I avoided things like cream of wheat or potatoes in favor of meeting my protein goal. If you have room for cream of wheat, you have room for protein, so no excuses for not meeting your protein goals each day, nor drinking too little.

Ditto what FluffyChick said. I would not be eating cream of wheat at your stage. Save those grain carbs until you are closer to goal. I am almost 8 months out and just now adding in grain carbs. For me, it is still fluids and Protein first, then veggies/fruit, and last of all (if I have room) some whole cooked grains.

we were told not to count calories at first - just focus on Protein and fluids. It'll probably be awhile before you'll be at risk for eating too many calories.

I don't think I was ever given a calorie range, but after the first few months I tried to stay in the 600-800 range, and after a year out I was around 1000=1200. I stayed there until maintenance when I had to experiment to find my "maintenance range".

I was given a calorie range of 800-900/day and was also told to eat cream of wheat in the pureed stage. Again it just depends on your team.

But as said above we should be focussing on Protein and fluids first!