Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Cool New "Smart" BMI Calculator

Oh wow! @Cheeseburgh shared this new tool on another thread and I thought it was so awesome, that I wanted to start a new thread where we can come do our tests and post them so we can keep track of our progress!!

It's called the Smart Body Mass Index and is supposed to take into account your personal metrics. So go ahead, let's try it out and see if we think it's accurate! I love mine. Let's all post our reports!

Here's the LINK!!

Thanks for sharing the link Cheeseburgh!!!

Thanks, Fluffy.

I got a BMI of 22, SBMI of 33/70. They are pretty consistent with each other.

9 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Thanks, Fluffy.

I got a BMI of 22, SBMI of 33/70. They are pretty consistent with each other.

Yay!!! That's outstanding!!! Congrats on being at goal and being at a BMI of 22!!! Woot!!!! And congrats on your SBMI score of 33/70!!!

What's cool for me (cuz remember I'm so average), is that it does affirm that the old BMI chart works for me too. The two are I think almost identical. But I loved how in depth this tool went into explaining things. I'll post my write up below, so others can see how cool the info is! :D I love it when science works. ;) Don't you?

Edited by FluffyChix

Ok, so I used my weight today of 135lbs. My SBMI score is 34/70 (Normal range is 30/70-39/70). My BMI is 23. And here's the cool write-up it gives for my age and activity. (click to enlarge)

073119_135_BMI23_SMBI34-70.thumb.JPG.0a5ad4f82ff6a307d7aa3fad33304306.JPG 073119_135_BMI23_SMBI34-70p2.thumb.JPG.a1264e72e41d3575ad836030b3b82497.JPG

Here's mine:

Health aspects

Your weight is at a somewhat elevated level; in our view, it may be less than optimal for your health. Contrary to the WHO classification of "obese", we hold the statement that you are only "overweight".

Your body fat mass seems to be a slightly above average. But health ought not be affected provided your blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels remain at moderate values. This could be more likely if you have a higher muscle mass and a lower amount of body fat.

SBMI = 43/70

This assessment is based on the newly developed Smart Body Mass Index. Its ideal range is between 30/70 and 39/70.

Your Smart Body Mass Index (SBMI) is calculated as 43/70 or "43 points out of 70".

Weight stability

At this weight level, you are at risk of gaining more weight. If you manage to maintain your current weight, you have reached your first and most important goal. Weight loss should only take the second place.

Your SBMI will decrease by about one point within ten years if you manage to keep your 195 pounds stable. This is due to the fact that the optimal, i.e. the "healthiest" BMI range increases with age, thus reaching higher BMI values.

Weight management

The best you can do is eat healthy food and increase your fitness. This will boost your health, whatever the case. If you lose weight in the process, all the better.

Your target weight of 140 pounds

Your weight target is in the right direction but very ambitious. A fast weight loss of 55 pounds kilograms could be the initial phase of a yo-yo effect. It may be safer to try 11 pounds first, stabilize on the level of 184 pounds and then set a new target, if this seems sensible.

By the way, being fat without tobacco is better than being slim due to nicotine. The best advice for smokers is to postpone the weight loss and stop smoking first. To curb a weight gain, the following suggestions may be helpful.

Nutrition

Think over your diet. Eat a variety of foods that you like, optimally including five servings of fruit and/or vegetables a day. Avoid eating too sweet, too fat and too much.

Your current low-carb diet

Low-carb diets may help to reduce body weight and improve blood sugar an lipid levels. However, in contrast to a Mediterranean diet, low-carb diets are much less sustainable. Moreover, they likely increase disease and mortality risk, despite short term improvement of some risk factors. If you want to stop dieting, do it step by step.

Physical activity

Do physical exercise at least for half an hour daily at moderate to vigorous intensity. Walking or cycling may be better for your joints than jogging.

BMI.PNG

Congrats lady!!! Congrats on your amazing hard work and diligence!!! Woooot!!!!

You are so close to your green area!!!! And I love the advice of doing small stepping stones. Throughout my WLS journey, I'd "set" a goal. But I actually only focused on a single decade. Cuz anything else always overwhelmed me and made me feel hopeless like I'd never achieve it. I knew exactly how many days it took me to get through a decade of weight. LOL!!!

You got this girl!!!

Edited by FluffyChix

You are already in your optimal weight range. Losing weight would add no benefit to your health.

Nutrition

Think over your diet. Eat a variety of foods that you like, optimally including five servings of fruit and/or vegetables a day. Avoid eating too sweet, too fat and too much.

Your weight is below average: Do you really need this diet?

Low-carb diets may help to reduce body weight and improve blood sugar an lipid levels. However, in contrast to a Mediterranean diet, low-carb diets are much less sustainable. Moreover, they likely increase disease and mortality risk, despite short term improvement of some risk factors. If you want to stop dieting, do it step by step.

Good information @FluffyChix @Cheeseburgh

Just now, Healthy_life2 said:

You are already in your optimal weight range. Losing weight would add no benefit to your health.

Nutrition

Your weight is below average: Do you really need this diet?

Good information @FluffyChix @Cheeseburgh

:) Is this your reply? Or are you pointing out mine? ;) I'd love to see your print-out. It prolly says:

Congrats! You are a brick sh*thouse and power woman! Don't change a thing! (And btw, GREAT LEGS and booty!)

:D

And it would be signed:

Hopelessly Devoted To You,

SMBI

I got a BMI of 22 and and SBMI of 33/70.

I really found this chart useful as I was losing. It made me feel more optimistic and realistic. I’m glad others might too, I figured everyone knew about it.

@GreenTealael Congrats on your inspiring success!!!! I know you are already at your goal, so I love that you are positioned for health and reduction of risky health events for the future!! You rock girl!!!

Do you have a new goal after your revision surgery or is it remaining at 150? Any fitness goals?

3 minutes ago, Cheeseburgh said:

I got a BMI of 22 and and SBMI of 33/70.

I really found this chart useful as I was losing. It made me feel more optimistic and realistic. I’m glad others might too, I figured everyone knew about it.

Congrats on your success and on reaching goal so quickly girlie!!!!

No way! I knew nothing of it and would have loved to have been able to check in with it!! TY so much for sharing it. It has become my new toy in only a matter of minutes! :D I will hug it and squeeze it and call it George!

Edited by FluffyChix

6 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

:) Is this your reply? Or are you pointing out mine? ;) I'd love to see your print-out. It prolly says:

Congrats! You are a brick sh*thouse and power woman! Don't change a thing! (And btw, GREAT LEGS and booty!)

:D

And it would be signed:

Hopelessly Devoted To You,

SMBI

*laughing* We have been the same weight for quite a while now. Yep, our print outs are the same.

Thanks for the compliment. Oh girl, my booty, tummy and boobs are issues. My butt is a melting pancake that ripples down the back of my thighs. Things look so much better with spanks, a good bra and clothing.

After seeing @BlueCrush plastics and reading some of the threads. Humm I thinking about doing it.

1 minute ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Thanks for the compliment. Oh girl, my booty, tummy and boobs are issues. My butt is a melting pancake that ripples down the back of my thighs. Things look so much better with spanks, a good bra and clothing.

After seeing @BlueCrush plastics and reading some of the threads. Humm I thinking about doing it.

OH Lort! I thought you had escaped the melting candle old-lady ass outcome! You look round and bubbly! :D So well toned. How do you disguise that in your running shorts? Cuz I don't see a bit of it!!! But yeah, tums and boobs...sigh.

You should totally do the plastics girl! Doesn't @BlueCrush look fabulous and smokin'?!!!!! Woot! Very inspiring pics for all of us with the baggy saggies.

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

@GreenTealael Congrats on your inspiring success!!!! I know you are already at your goal, so I love that you are positioned for health and reduction of risky health events for the future!! You rock girl!!!

Do you have a new goal after your revision surgery or is it remaining at 150? Any fitness goals?

NOPE 😂 my goal weight was 155-160lbs bmi 28 according to my Surgical PA & I achieved that long ago (150 is just a number I put in long ago and never removed)

So no further bariatric/fitness goals to achieve

Edited by GreenTealael