Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

20 minutes can be hard to hit. But, you should base it on how small your meal is. I barely eat anything, so it does me no good to make a very small meal last 30 minutes. Just eat as slow as you can.

I've struggled with this rule too. I've always been a slow eater, but making a 1/2-1 c. of food last 30 min. is difficult for me. And the biggest issue I've had is that hot food gets cold and cold food becomes room temp...not very appetizing. I like to have one scrambled egg for Breakfast, but I don't like cold eggs. I just do my best and probably eat meals in about 20 min.

I'm one of those really slow eaters. I'm 9 months out and I take about an hour to eat a "regular" meal (I have become used to eating cold food!).

It takes so long because I wait about 5-10 mins between 3-5 bites. If I don't take my time, I run the risk of overeating and then get that uncomfortable/painful chest-pressure feeling or worse, get barfy.

P.S. back in my early post op days it was taking me 90 minutes to eat even less.

Edited by ms.sss

I'm one of those really slow eaters. I'm 9 months out and I take about an hour to eat a "regular" meal (I have become used to eating cold food!).
It takes so long because I wait about 5-10 mins between 3-5 bites. If I don't take my time, I run the risk of overeating and then get that uncomfortable/painful chest-pressure feeling or worse, get barfy.
P.S. back in my early post op days it was taking me 90 minutes to eat even less.
You do you, great job

Sent from my SM-S367VL using BariatricPal mobile app

90 minutes? Damn! i don't think I could do that if I really tried.

It was more a necessitiy than choice ☹️

Okay so I’m actually a pretty fast eater.
I don’t get lunch breaks at work. It’s always an “eat on the fly” kind of environment.
That being said, I also hate to graze, so it can get tricky.
I’ve actually done things like eat a single hard boiled egg in 2 minutes.

Not saying that I recommend it.... just saying I’ve done it. Multiple times.
My fave food for days when I know we’re gonna be slammed the whole day is one of those P3 packs. I get the one with turkey, ham, and cheese and can finish it within 10 minutes.

Again, not ideal, but better than skipping a meal (or drinking a slider-ish Protein shake).

I’m almost 6 months out and can only hold up to 1 cup food at a time.

18 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

I get the one with turkey, ham, and cheese and can finish it within 10 minutes. 

10 minutes! Wow, that's pretty impressive...and you don't get any chest pain?

On 07/31/2019 at 16:23, ms.sss said:

10 minutes! Wow, that's pretty impressive...and you don't get any chest pain?

Oh yeah, I’ll get some chest pains.
It doesn’t come without a cost, but there’s literally no other options some days.

When I do this, I have to not drink any fluids for about 90 minutes after or else the chest pains trigger again.

It’s not how I choose to eat when there’s an option. But it can be done

Oh yeah, I’ll get some chest pains.
It doesn’t come without a cost, but there’s literally no other options some days.

When I do this, I have to not drink any fluids for about 90 minutes after or else the chest pains trigger again.

It’s not how I choose to eat when there’s an option. But it can be done
Omg same. I only get 30 minute meal breaks. And if i have to buy lunch i might have less than 20 minutes to get it down. Im almost 3yrs out and it's still not the easiest. I can make it happen but I'll definitely pay for it. Especially if it's my first actual meal of the day. My restriction is more so a little goes longer than I'd like. Bitter sweet because i really just want to sit and savor it. But whether i have the time or not, it's a short lived pleasure lol.

But even when i do have the time, depending on what it is and how hungry i am 30 minutes is laughable. It'll be gone sometimes in less than 10 lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 8/2/2019 at 1:23 AM, Torriluv02 said:

Omg same. I only get 30 minute meal breaks. And if i have to buy lunch i might have less than 20 minutes to get it down.

That's how it was for me too before I retired...I worked in healthcare and got 30 min for lunch, which was really 20 after getting the food out and being ready to eat. I still lost weight anyway (80+ pounds by retirement date). I did eat slower for other meals. Just do your best and follow all the other rules.