Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved 12/14/17. Everything went well, I recovered nicely and I have lost 99 lbs and my BMI is currently 23; weight 144lbs.

However, I know for certain I’m not getting nearly enough calories / day. There are so many foods I can’t tolerate (mostly all meats) and I only eat 1/4 of what I put on my little kid plates that I’m still using since surgery.

There is only one meal that I eat everyday that doesn’t bother me; it’s Breakfast. Everyday, I eat
1 egg, 2 pieces of bacon, and 1 slice of toast and I feel fine. But anything else, I feel terrible after I eat.

I get hungry but I feel so nauseous and bad after I eat, that I wished I hadn’t eaten. Am I eating too fast? I’m considering checking in with my surgeon to see if this is common or if I need to be checked out. Oh, I also have the worst problem with IBS. I notice that certain foods (Fried foods, Carbonation, anything breaded, and alcohol) sends me to the bathroom that there are times, I don’t feel I can hold it long enough to get to the restroom.

Also, admittedly, I do have an issue that I’ve never been able to conquer waiting 30 mins before I drink anything. So I wonder if my stomach issues with eating could be caused by me trying to drink while I eat.

If anyone has seen this before or knows what I could possibly be doing wrong, I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks!
Diahanna

Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried eating Breakfast for dinner, to help figure out if it's a time-of-day/habit issue or a type-of-food issue?

One thing that jumped out to me is that the meal you list for breakfast is actually available in the "Soft Foods" stage of the meal plan they gave me (which I'm mainly noticing because I just advanced to said phase and am looking forward to making breakfast) - that is, it's something that's supposed to be relatively easy to digest

Makes me wonder if it's something where you're able to break down said breakfast fast enough that the fluids flushing it through you isn't as big of a deal, vs. something heavier/more solid, which you may well be flushing through without giving it time to digest.

But that's just wild speculation, and something I'd be talking to my doc about.

I am having the same problem! Softer foods such as eggs, soft cheese, cream of wheat is all good and dandy. However, eating something heavier say bacon, beef, pork, or even some deli meats is like a big punch to my gut and makes me feel.....ugh!

I feel fine at first, but then i just start to feel bad like if i ate too fast or too much. I feel like i am taking my time (i am a slow eater naturally) but sometimes, i feel like taking a sip of something to "help certain foods along" or else it feels dry and i feel like i might choke!
I'll take the tiniest sip and it will still hurt me regardless. I don't want to jeopardize me stretching my pouch, and i get frustrated thinking about it too.

My biggest thing so far, is that i carry A 64 OZ. VACUUM SEALED THERMOS STAINLESS STEEL TYPE water bottle so i have ice cold Water with me whenever i go.

I am still finding that when i feel "hungry" i might actually be "thirsty" and vice versa.

I am 2 months post op and have had a slow down in my weight loss and i feel like i should have lost more.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, Diahanna said:

I was sleeved 12/14/17. Everything went well, I recovered nicely and I have lost 99 lbs and my BMI is currently 23; weight 144lbs.

However, I know for certain I’m not getting nearly enough calories / day. There are so many foods I can’t tolerate (mostly all meats) and I only eat 1/4 of what I put on my little kid plates that I’m still using since surgery.

There is only one meal that I eat everyday that doesn’t bother me; it’s Breakfast. Everyday, I eat
1 egg, 2 pieces of bacon, and 1 slice of toast and I feel fine. But anything else, I feel terrible after I eat.

I get hungry but I feel so nauseous and bad after I eat, that I wished I hadn’t eaten. Am I eating too fast? I’m considering checking in with my surgeon to see if this is common or if I need to be checked out. Oh, I also have the worst problem with IBS. I notice that certain foods (Fried foods, Carbonation, anything breaded, and alcohol) sends me to the bathroom that there are times, I don’t feel I can hold it long enough to get to the restroom.

Also, admittedly, I do have an issue that I’ve never been able to conquer waiting 30 mins before I drink anything. So I wonder if my stomach issues with eating could be caused by me trying to drink while I eat.

If anyone has seen this before or knows what I could possibly be doing wrong, I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks!
Diahanna

Definitely check in with your surgeon & try the changes you mentioned and let us know how it works out!!! You may help solve someone else's bariatric mystery

I have an Iron sleeve for the most part. But drinking while or shortly after eating makes me feel anywhere from uncomfortable to ill. I’d try to stop drinking after eating and see if that helps.

actually, those foods you mentioned - fried, breaded, carbonated, alcohol - are things we're not supposed to be eating anyway. I get the same "side effect" from fried foods (not so much the other three - but I usually avoid those as well). It's a reminder (to me, anyway), NOT to eat them! I had a (catered) meal once from Cracker Barrel the day before a memorial service. There was almost nothing on the buffet that was on my plan, but I put together what I could (a piece a chicken with the skin removed - plus some of their greasy green beans). I was in the bathroom throwing up afterward. I just can't tolerate grease anymore - and that's a probably a good thing!! (other than when it's my only option!)