Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting so nervous.

My brother came over tonight and said “it’s not too late to back out”, and like a switch flipped I started to get scared again. I was so excited about my surgery approval. But now I am second guessing myself all over again. I know a lower weight would make getting around easier and less painful, flying on airplanes will be easier, my knees and feet won’t hurt as much, I will feel more comfortable in my own skin. But the fears I have are real too... a lot of what ifs. What if I get Vitamin deficiencies or horrible complications. What if I get another disease later in life and they can’t treat it bc I have malabsorption and an altered anatomy. Etc etc etc. Was anyone else as scared before surgery as I am?? 😂😂

54 minutes ago, AnnieD78 said:

My brother came over tonight and said “it’s not too late to back out”, and like a switch flipped I started to get scared again. I was so excited about my surgery approval. But now I am second guessing myself all over again. I know a lower weight would make getting around easier and less painful, flying on airplanes will be easier, my knees and feet won’t hurt as much, I will feel more comfortable in my own skin. But the fears I have are real too... a lot of what ifs. What if I get Vitamin deficiencies or horrible complications. What if I get another disease later in life and they can’t treat it bc I have malabsorption and an altered anatomy. Etc etc etc. Was anyone else as scared before surgery as I am?? 😂😂

The “ what if’s” turned around on me and I had to ask myself how long did I have if I didn’t do the surgery .. you may be young enough that being over weight hasn’t effected your health yet .. my co-morbidity’s were getting worse and the most I could ever lose was 20 lbs and I’d gain it all back plus some. sleep apnea . Acid reflux and joint pain , high blood pressure and pre- diabetic .. I wasn’t huge, my BMI was 35 at surgery ... you have very valid concerns and I wouldn’t talk you in or out of it .. only you can decide, dont let anyone get in your head you’d be hard pressed for anyone here to give you the answers because it’s such a personal decision. I woke up from surgery not even sure anything was done , I felt so good . I went into it with a positive outlook but I’m sure if I had complications I may think differently.. it’s all your choice to make on your own.

1 hour ago, AnnieD78 said:

I had all these fears like an hour before my surgery and I just started crying hysterically on my medical bed, but I’m three weeks post op and so happy I did it. I think most people feel a sense of last minute panic. It’s a huge life alteration.

pretty normal fear. But rest assured that many of us never have complications, and of those who do, the vast majority were minor. Vitamin deficiencies are rare as long as you keep on top of your Vitamins. As far as not being able to treat certain diseases, I haven't really heard of this. These surgeries are so commonplace now that they can probably find an alternative treatment if in fact this ever even came up.

I knew I was at much worse risk staying at 300+ lbs. I probably would have been dead in 10 years. No more! I feel great!!! I'd do this again in a heartbeat!

2 hours ago, Jessviera said:

I had all these fears like an hour before my surgery and I just started crying hysterically on my medical bed, but I’m three weeks post op and so happy I did it. I think most people feel a sense of last minute panic. It’s a huge life alteration.

I also cried right before going into surgery. It was very emotional. I dont regret having surgery either. Best thing I've done!

It's only natural to be a little anxious because it's a major surgery. But look at all the people here on this forum who survived it and had no complications. You can do it!

I felt exactly like you with the same fears before my RNY. But the moment I had it, I never looked back. If you follow your doctor's orders, you'll do fine! I remember reading before I had the surgery people saying the only regret they had was that they didn't do it sooner. I couldn't imagine then but now I TOTALLY GET IT! Good luck and know that you have a lot of support.

U are always going to be scared and have people that are throwing negativity toward the surgery. Life is too short for u to keep backing out. I backed out for 6 yrs because my family kept telling me to excersize and I can loose it on my own like it is that easy. U have to say screw it to the people that don't want u to have it if thats really what u want. I have to say this is the best decision I have ever made. I was on my way to diabetes and high cholesterol now both are completely gone and I am healthy and have no issues at all with taking Vitamins if anything i get too much my surgeon told me to cut back. Everyone is different so do this for u.[emoji178]

Sent from my LG-M150 using BariatricPal mobile app

Being anxious or nervous is like sitting in a rocking chair. You can rock and rock until you can't do any more but you're not going to get anywhere!
Stay strong, stay committed, don't listen to the haters, they often are envious, they keep snipping at you from behind because you are ahead of them and a much better person. You Do This For You- When it comes to this, at the end of the Day you're the most important consideration. And Aunt Frustr8 will be right here, cheering YOU on! Promise!😝👍

Clearly this is important to you. It takes so much effort and time before getting a Preop date. You must have wanted this life change to work so hard. Until your asleep it's your choice but months of appts and time you had a clear path on what you wanted. No look at why your in panic mode because of your head or what someone is putting in your head.