Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bipolar help! People gone through surgery?

I was diagnosed bipolar a little over 2 years ago. I am looking into revision but now with my diagnosis - I am wondering if it is possible?? My insurance does not cover it ( ugh) so I will be self paying.

i know this is a necessary option /tool for me but worries how surgery may affect 1) if I am able to have surgery 2) how will surgery impact bipolar / depression

I do take meds to help manage , can I still take them after?

Any input would be wonderful! I go in for my consultation this week. Nervous!!

The meds I was taking before surgery did not include any antipsychotic or mood stabilizer only gabapentin for nerve pain and anxiety (separate issue) and an antidepressant Wellbutrin. Physically the pills were hard to swallow after surgery but as far as affecting weight loss there was no affect. Six months later I have a car accident, am diagnosed with traumatic brain injury and go thru 9 months of in and out hospitals with doctors trying to put me on all these different meds I had never been on before, antipsychotics that were not even needed in the first place and were causing really bad side affects. I’m not sure if the side affects were so bad becuz my stomach was cut down 80% or what or if becuz they switched to a new med so quickly every couple weeks or month either way bad experience. It also caused in the end within 2 months a 25lb weight gain which then started me picking up old eating habits and gaining another 8 lbs. now I feel stuck. Not sure if that helps or not. I’m against antipsychotics or mood stabilizers after surgery!

I myself have adhd and take a stimulant. This did not bar me from clearance and I only skipped 2 days of meds. A woman with bipolar disorder was in my pre and post op nutrition classes, so she was cleared as well. I didnt ask her any prying questions so I cant tell you her experience between those 2 months, but I can tell you mine.

My body changed, more than I thought it would. Adhd meds are not weight-based, but for some reason, i NEEDED to have my meds adjusted after the surgery. They just didnt work. I felt more down, because I tend to fall into "situational depression" (as opposed to major depression or clinical depression) and got very down on myself for being unable to complete certain tasks. What helped me get through is knowing it was temporary and that I would find the right balance and come back stronger.

Again, i know my reply isnt the most mirrored to yours, but i hope it helps, even if only a little.

Edited by Lochnessamber
Edited because I cant spell.

I have bipolar disorder 1 and recently had RNY. My bipolar was discussed with surgeon and psychiatrist. Psych did not want me to have surgery, but my team's psychiatrist cleared me for surgery. Surgeon was concerned about malabsorption of meds post surgery, but I'm fine. Any questions I can answer for you??

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Most pills can be filled as a liquid version that you will take for a bit after surgery. Beware that liquid versions of meds taste disgusting though.

I am bipolar. Diagnosed 20 years ago. Currently taking lamictal, Zoloft, and gabapentin. Had sleeve surgery Aug 2018. Insurance paid. My psychiatrist and therapist were supportive of the surgery. Surgeon was aware of my meds and I was only asked not to take them the morning of surgery. The issue I ran into was that the first week after surgery I felt so nauseous all the time. Would throw up most of what I ate. Ended up dehydrated and needed fluids introvenously. Because of all this I just couldn't handle taking my meds. I'd get nauseous even thinking about it. Needless to say not taking my meds made everything much worse. Dr gave me Zofran for the nausea which helped, and I made sure to drink enough Water each day. Then I was able to tolerate my meds regularly again. Hope reading my story helps. Good luck!

Thanks for asking this...I'm on a high dose of Effexor for depression, and it's a rough drug to miss even one dose of. I'm hoping against hope that I won't be suffer the post-op vomiting that seems fairly common.

I ended up switching my Effexor extended release capsules for the tablets. And I take them 3 times a day. Kinda a pain, but it works. Can't take extended release after surgery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am not absorbing pills after RNY. I switched to capsules where I could. I’m supposed to open them but it’s disgusting. I googled that capsules dissolve quickly. Stopped absorbing birth control so I got an implant today. I’m bipolar but off lamictal but got borderline suicidal now during recovery. Doctor put me on an antidepressant that disssolves on the tongue. It hasn’t even been a week but I already feel better. I’ll take the placebo affect!

5 hours ago, KateBruin said:

I am not absorbing pills after RNY. I switched to capsules where I could. I’m supposed to open them but it’s disgusting. I googled that capsules dissolve quickly. Stopped absorbing birth control so I got an implant today. I’m bipolar but off lamictal but got borderline suicidal now during recovery. Doctor put me on an antidepressant that disssolves on the tongue. It hasn’t even been a week but I already feel better. I’ll take the placebo affect!

Good! Even if it is a placebo, its working, and that's what matters. I'm happy you're getting some relief.