Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Supplements and such



Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am wondering what you all take for Vitamins and does anyone have a recommendation for a good GERD med that is less expensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for my multi, I just take a generic version of Centrum (CVS and Walgreens both have them). I take a few more individual Vitamins, but since you're a sleeve patient (I'm RNY), you may not be required to take all of those...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the feedback. I’m a bit scared about the procedure and I’m trying to figure out what I need in advance. I will be traveling alone and returning to work quickly. I’m not even sure what RNY is.. lol. I guess I’m a rookie with all of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ltheart said:

Thank you for the feedback. I’m a bit scared about the procedure and I’m trying to figure out what I need in advance. I will be traveling alone and returning to work quickly. I’m not even sure what RNY is.. lol. I guess I’m a rookie with all of this.

RNY is gastric bypass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery. One of the reasons why was because I had GERD before surgery. I am now 6 years post-op and GERD is no longer in my life. It has been in remission since I had the surgery. I chose to not have another option Sleeve because in many cases, the Sleeve will only make this condition worse. Several individuals on this board had sleeve surgery and the GERD go so bad that they had to have a revision to RNY gastric bypass. If I went under the knife once I did not want to do it again so that is why I chose RNY gastric bypass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery. One of the reasons why was because I had GERD before surgery. I am now 6 years post-op and GERD is no longer in my life. It has been in remission since I had the surgery. I chose to not have another option Sleeve because in many cases, the Sleeve will only make this condition worse. Several individuals on this board had sleeve surgery and the GERD go so bad that they had to have a revision to RNY gastric bypass. If I went under the knife once I did not want to do it again so that is why I chose RNY gastric bypass.

That is wonderful to hear that your GERD is gone! Do you feel that the surgery was with it in the end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 6 years out and the surgery was definitely worth it. I had many many medical conditions prior to surgery and I was taking around 6 types of prescription medicine for those conditions. Today all these conditions are in remission and I am not taking any prescription medicines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ltheart said:

Thank you for the supplement tips. I am wondering if I should get Biotin. I do not want to grow unwanted hair but Hair loss is a concern. Some people have said prenatal Vitamins are the ticket.

I forgot that I also take Biotin gummies from Walgreens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Ltheart said:

Thank you for the supplement tips. I am wondering if I should get Biotin. I do not want to grow unwanted hair but Hair loss is a concern. Some people have said prenatal Vitamins are the ticket.

I've heard mixed reviews of Biotin. Some people say it worked for them, others say it did nothing. I guess it might be worth a shot if you're concerned. I lost very little hair, so it wasn't noticeable at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I would worry that Biotin might make my chin hairs and faint mustache to worsen. Sure it would be nice to have think head hair but at,this cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up about biotin... make sure you let your doc know you're taking it. It can mess with your bloodwork and you should stop taking it 2 weeks before any blood tests. I was advised against taking it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow wish I had been told that I could choose to get the RNY but my surgeon said sleeve was best for me. [emoji174]He knew that i already had severe reflux and I had no clue it could get worse. But from taking 2 pills a day to now 10 pills (4 different medications) a day just for the GERD. I am absolutely miserable and the meds are not working properly now. So I am going through the process of getting approved by the insurance company to get the revision done.
How long did it take you to get approval for your surgery?My sleeve surgery approval only took 2 months as I have 2 insurance companies.
I am now also on zofran for nausea every day mine has gotten so much worse than it was.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, James Marusek said:

I am 6 years out and the surgery was definitely worth it. I had many many medical conditions prior to surgery and I was taking around 6 types of prescription medicine for those conditions. Today all these conditions are in remission and I am not taking any prescription medicines.

Thank you for sharing this James. It makes me feel reassured to know after all of this time that you feel it was the right choice for you. I am most worried about the time after the honeymoon phase. Have you kept the weight off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×