Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

Hope everyone that has had the surgery is having a speedy recovery. For those yet to have the surgery, good luck and maybe my post op report below can help shed some light on my process.... everyone is different but this is how it has been so far.

Surgery day: Was told the day before that my surgery was at 3:15 in the afternoon... GRRRRR. I wanted the 7am slot that got assigned to someone else. The reason for this is I was told anyone with insulin diabetes will always go first. Makes sense because they can't have their shot before surgery. I received a call from the surgical team asking could I come to the hospital earlier than I was asked to, like 4 hour ahead of my scheduled time. Seems one of the patients before me canceled last minute. Anyway I got to the hospital checked in and within an hour was in the operating room. I woke up about 3 hours later and was told everything went well and carted off to my room. They gave me ice chips to take away that dehydrated mouth feeling and about here is where the fun started. Since being medicated, the incisions and tummy not bad at all. But the GAS pains in the upper chest area was very painful. After the nurses got me situations and a 1/2 cup of ices chips melted in my mouth, it was time to walk. The chest pain was not good at all, but walking helps. I walked around the floor twice with assistance, After the last walk I tried to get rest of which the primary care assistant woke me up every other hour. And it seems the nurse woke me up to give my pain meds as needed. As I mentioned the gas pain was far worst than the incisions.

Post Op Day 1: Started out with some chicken broth (damn that was good) nice an warm and wet. Got up brushed my teeth, washed my face then walked 6 laps around the floor. WALKING IS THE KEY TO GETTING RID OF THE GAS. About an hour after the broth I had a uninjury Protein Shake taking it slowly. I think it was like a 12 oz shake and drank it in about 45 Min. After that another 6 laps around the floor. Walking is a good thing and the gas pain started to subside. lunch was more broth and another Protein shake then another 6 laps around the floor. After surgery most will have elevated white blood cell count, which is normal, but could also mean infection. I was told that they would perform another blood test @ 3pm and if they was decreasing I could go home, but I certainly had the option to stay the second night. Got the results of the second blood test around 4pm and the call was mine to stay or leave. I wanted to go home. The gas pains went from a about a 8 on the pain scale to 1 by the end of the first day. Got home and took some medication and off to bed for a good nights rest.

Post Op Day 2: Got up in the middle of the night and took pain meds. Now the gas pain is pretty much gone and the incision area a little sore, but not bad at all. jumped in the shower and now feel great. The incision areas are not bad as long as you take it easy. Reduced the amount of pain meds and just had a protein shake and got my Water to sip on. Getting ready to take my dogs for a walk (about a mile). All in all I"m doing pretty well and just focusing on small sips of water and spacing the shake out over 1/2 hour or so. No rush I guess is the key.

If I could recommend just a few things to make the early recovery go well it would be to WALK, WALK, WALK, WALK AND SIPPING WATER.

All the best to everyone as we embark on a newer better way of healthy lifestyle,

MassMan

Thank you for that very detailed insight!

Thank you so much for your detailed narrative of your first two days. I am scheduled for Monday at 2:30. Wanted the early time too but was happy to fill a cancellation. I am less nervous about the surgery itself than I am about life post op. Really appreciate hearing about the beginning of your journey. Keep us posted.

Thank you so much for this! I’m hoping mine goes as smoothly. Going in on 4\3. Very nervous.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:04 PM, Colorado Cowgirl said:

Thank you so much for your detailed narrative of your first two days. I am scheduled for Monday at 2:30. Wanted the early time too but was happy to fill a cancellation. I am less nervous about the surgery itself than I am about life post op. Really appreciate hearing about the beginning of your journey. Keep us posted.

I was really getting mixed emotions about the surgery as it got closer, but then I have to do my old plus/minus chart. Health being the most motivating as diabetes runs in my family. The other minus was they hard core diets I've been on in the past and how I can loose weight, but just can't seem to keep it off. It is a really fast surgery when ya think about it and right now I'm still in a small amount of pain, I"m glad its over and now I can move on with the next chapter of my life. If youre surgery is at 2:30, try and force yourself to get up and walk by 8 and start with the ice chips... slow and easy does it. Please keep my posted with your progress.

All the best

Edited by MassMan
adding a line

6 hours ago, Selmeeka said:

Thank you so much for this! I’m hoping mine goes as smoothly. Going in on 4\3. Very nervous.

I'm sure it will. sometimes I believe that we are our own worst enemies doubting ourselves or anything to do with us. You're mention being very nervous, I can totally relate to as those thoughts of insecurity start to surface... what if something goes wrong, this is not reversible, blah... blah and more blah thoughts ran through my head.

But what should have been running through my mind is that I am happy that I have this opportunity to get this surgery. Along with weight loss to a normal size where I can enjoy life, Be more active. Have better health and a longer life due to this change.

I know its hard to not think of the negative thoughts, but try to focus on what got you to this point and why you want the surgery. Keep me posted with your progress and all the best.

3 minutes ago, MassMan said:

I'm sure it will. sometimes I believe that we are our own worst enemies doubting ourselves or anything to do with us. You're mention being very nervous, I can totally relate to as those thoughts of insecurity start to surface... what if something goes wrong, this is not reversible, blah... blah and more blah thoughts ran through my head.

But what should have been running through my mind is that I am happy that I have this opportunity to get this surgery. Along with weight loss to a normal size where I can enjoy life, Be more active. Have better health and a longer life due to this change.

I know its hard to not think of the negative thoughts, but try to focus on what got you to this point and why you want the surgery. Keep me posted with your progress and all the best.

My fear honestly is the anesthesia. The not waking up bit. Pain and discomfort is temporary. I would just like to get to that point lol

Post Op Day 2 Finish:

Forgot to mention that Day 2 began with a nice warm shower. Then took off he bandages (they are like new skin Band-Aids to hold the gauze on). To finish up Day 2 things went as expected. The Gas pains were very low and was able to get in 3 Protein Shakes total and about 40 oz of Water. Total for the day, took my dogs for a walk twice, slow and easy. Took a pill cutter and cut up Tylenol 650mg regular and took those just before bed and actually sleep pretty well.

Post Op Day 3 Start:

Got up did my normal bathroom routine and downstairs to get a Protein Drink in. They are actually pretty good. The Premier Protein I buy at Sam's seems to do the trick. I have both chocolate and vanilla and ordered a variety pack from Amazon with Bananas and cream, Caramel. Key to those for me is VERY cold. Called two of my kids and we went out for some retail therapy at Cabela's. It feels good to get out and the gas pain is pretty much gone. The incision pain I will say is very minimal like a 1 on the scale. Just taking is slow and steady seems to be working. I have yet to have a #2, but will start with Miralax tomorrow if that doesn't come naturally. I am passing lots of wind which is probably why the gas pains are pretty much gone.

My doctor just called and asked me if the gas was gone and was I having any fever, chills or pain above 3 scale. I must say that this whole experience so far has went well for me.

Looking forward to some nice warm beef broth tonight... party time... :)

15 minutes ago, Selmeeka said:

My fear honestly is the anesthesia. The not waking up bit. Pain and discomfort is temporary. I would just like to get to that point lol

In the pre op room they anesthesiologist will come to see you, at that point tell them you are anxious and they will give you something to take the edge away. They actually let me hold the breathing cup in the OR to get things started. Don't rush the pain... it will come :) but to make sure the pain goes away sooner..... walk... walk... walk... and sip sip sip. Before ya know it you'll be on the sleeved side :)

2 minutes ago, MassMan said:

In the pre op room they anesthesiologist will come to see you, at that point tell them you are anxious and they will give you something to take the edge away. They actually let me hold the breathing cup in the OR to get things started. Don't rush the pain... it will come :) but to make sure the pain goes away sooner..... walk... walk... walk... and sip sip sip. Before ya know it you'll be on the sleeved side :)

Thank you for the reassurance. I need it. It helps to put me at ease. 😊

Excellent post bro!!!! Thanks for the info and the process u went through... I am scheduled for 5/13 and very excited... Thanks again

No darlin' anesthesia is not a bugaboo, don't fear it! I hate to sound "campy" but you should have been here for the Bad Old Days of ether and such, I had my tonsils out at 5, I am now 73 and I still remember how sick I was, I threw up even water! Then I was here for the Slightly Better Middle Ages of Anesthesia, not so much vomiting but headaches, general malaise, you knew you had been " had". Present days are a breeze. Let me relate a little about my RnY last September. , I think it will make you feel a little better. First of all my surgeon as well as being a wonderful surgeon is a very nice guy. I was the first surgery of the day, he had explained that in the office, he was making,me first , because at 73 he wanted to allow time in case i was more difficult once he was "in". He literally brought in his crew and introduced them all. Among them was my anesthesiologist Dave, hate to sound cougar-like but he had the prettiest blue eyes. I think. in the midst of our conversation he may have slipped me some " Happy Juice" because I was Super Mellow as they pushed me down the hall and into the Operating Theatre. Oh I did kind of " Rubberneck" as we were traveling, this was my Journey of Journeys after all! Now I had gleaned a few horror stories from BP as well as a few other sites, so I wanted to see if they were true. Number 1 people kept saying the room was chilly- nope mine was warm as could be. Number 2 Everybody hustled. And bussels around, nope even though they were gowned , my hospital wears green, I knew who each person was .Number 3 the tables are so narrow, nope not mine, like Goldilocks it was just right. Number 4 They make you drag yourself over, nope they helped me and wear very gentle and respectful. Number 5 You won't even be able to tell who or where your surgeon is. Nope Dr Needleman promised me he' d wave so I would know it was him. Another erroneous thing I had been told was since it was a teaching Hospital I would be turned over to interns and residents once I was asleep. Nope , Dr Needleman promised, since I would be his all-time oldest patient he would do everything personally and he kept his word. Number 6. Once I was situated on the table , I looked to my Right and there was Dave., blue eyes sparkling, they tucked a warmed blanket around me, he called me by name , said" Do you feel comfy?" I said " I believe I am" and that was that, next,thing I knew I was in my own room on 10 Doan, not hurting a bit, fact is I lifted my gown to look, I wanted to check if they had even done surgery. I expected big ABDs, nope 6 tiny incisions, criss crossed with steri- strips and the 7th was in my navel. Now I knew why my pre-op instructions said to scrub and clean my navel really good, he used it as another point of entry. I remember on the Bad Old Days having a rubber mask slapped on my face, being told to count backwards and the smell, none of that at all now. Things are so Easy Peasy these days, and if anybody would not be waking up, on age alone it would be ME not YOU, so don't worry and fear, it is a cool experience and it starts you into a beautiful future life. Me, I have lost 70, no it's 80 pounds now in 7 months, could never have done it on diet alone. And every day I am grateful, oh my after surgery was not average, healed a little slower, had some bumps in my road, but I'm in this to win this and I truly can say The Rest of My Life will be the Best of My Life. And now I'll look forward to chapters and updates from YOU!❤

9 minutes ago, jaytissle55 said:

Excellent post bro!!!! Thanks for the info and the process u went through... I am scheduled for 5/13 and very excited... Thanks again

You're welcome J Tissle.

I think these forums help all of us to share and also read up on what others have experienced. I have read some negative reports and we can learn from those to... but there will always be those types of posts. We all react differently and I feel for those that have endured pain. Myself... I researched... found people and sat and talked with them... visited several forums and after all that.... tried to figure out how to best get myself over the hump so to speak. Well... I'm barely over the hump, and so far so good. Looks like you and I are about the same size and goals. Best of luck to ya and stay in touch.

Post Op Day 3 Finish:

Day 3 finish was a little interesting.... that beef broth I was looking forward to... YUCK AND DOUBLE YUCK. Drove my wife up to the pizza shop to grab her a chicken Caesar salad.... Got back home and I started on my broth.... boy did that suck. and that Caesar salad looked better than any Caesar salad I've ever saw or smelled. Had just a couple sips and then left the table.

Then there was this sneeze that had I been standing would have knocked me to the ground. This increased the pain back up to around a 3 and took some Tylenol and kept it horizonal the rest of the night. That was pretty much it for the rest of the night along with finishing off another 16 oz. of Water for a grand total of 48oz.

Post Op Day 4 Start:

Its early and feeling pretty darn good. Slipped on some gym shorts and after I finish my Protein drink will head off to the gym where I've been a member since 2009. But I don't think I made it through the doors last year... :(. I plan on starting very slow on the elliptical for 15-20 and see where that takes me. Mostly just getting out of the house to start a new routine to include some exercise. Feeling good... optimistic and mostly just miss chewing something right now. This weekend I get to start smooth foods.... yee freakin haa… :) Looking forward to a couple of scrambles eggs diluted with milk/cream. Guess I'll skip the wheat toast and marmalade.. :)

Wow! Can't believe you are heading to the gym on Day 4! Good job! You gove me so much hope. Getting resdy to take my shower and then countdown to noon when I leave to the hospital. Have a great day and stay away from the beef broth!