Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not seeing myself any different

Wow, you've lost a LOT in such a short amount of time! I had my sleeve done a week before you and I've only lost 19 pounds, but people who don't know I've had surgery are already commenting, "You look like you've lost weight" and when I made a collage of side-by-side before and after photos I can already tell a difference. Are your clothes fitting differently? Is your jewelry fitting differently? Do you feel different? You're probably just being too hard on yourself because it's a natural thing for us to do. You're doing GREAT! Keep up the good work.

On 01/29/2019 at 10:40, GradyCat said:

Wow, you've lost a LOT in such a short amount of time! I had my sleeve done a week before you and I've only lost 19 pounds, but people who don't know I've had surgery are already commenting, "You look like you've lost weight" and when I made a collage of side-by-side before and after photos I can already tell a difference. Are your clothes fitting differently? Is your jewelry fitting differently? Do you feel different? You're probably just being too hard on yourself because it's a natural thing for us to do. You're doing GREAT! Keep up the good work.

I’ve maybe lost a pant size and I can tell some difference but I kinda thought 45 lbs is a big deal I should see something different. Thanks for your response and congratulations on your loss! Keep up the good work!

I've lost a total of 70 (both pre- and post- surgery). I just started to see it a little. It didn't help that I didn't lose a pant size until I'd lost 50#. So, now, every month I take pictures (front and side in a full-lenth mirror wearing roughly the same thing) and measurements (bust, chest, waist, hips, both thighs, both calves, both upper arms, and neck). I still really don't see it in the pictures, but I can see where it's coming off in the measurements. For example, I saw that I lost a LOT in my legs and hips in month one, but almost nothing in my waist - which is why I wasn't really losing clothing sizes. Month 2, though, I could see that I lost several inches in my waist. So, while my brain still looks in the mirror or at a picture and says "You look the same", my brain can look at the measurements and logically know that isn't true. It has helped me a lot.

On 01/29/2019 at 10:49, notmyname said:

I've lost a total of 70 (both pre- and post- surgery). I just started to see it a little. It didn't help that I didn't lose a pant size until I'd lost 50#. So, now, every month I take pictures (front and side in a full-lenth mirror wearing roughly the same thing) and measurements (bust, chest, waist, hips, both thighs, both calves, both upper arms, and neck). I still really don't see it in the pictures, but I can see where it's coming off in the measurements. For example, I saw that I lost a LOT in my legs and hips in month one, but almost nothing in my waist - which is why I wasn't really losing clothing sizes. Month 2, though, I could see that I lost several inches in my waist. So, while my brain still looks in the mirror or at a picture and says "You look the same", my brain can look at the measurements and logically know that isn't true. It has helped me a lot.

Thank you for sharing I plan to take measurements as soon as I get my tape in just to have a starting point. Congratulations on your 70 lb loss that’s awesome!

Be honest and take the pictures in your undies, sometimes outer clothes mask things, start measuring yourself, that's something I wish I had started out doing but honestly I wasn't sure my surgery would help THAT MUCH, I had tried so many diets, been such a failure(or I THOUGHT so) I couldn't be sure to trust this either! so I truly don't know how,many inches and where, I know my rump and belly (flabby as it is) are going down sliwly, first things to go my lower arms,wrists and fingers then my double chins, cheek fat and now I think my neck looks like a turtle coming out the shell of my body that still is there, I'm leaving 5X 4X and some 3X behind, lost about 60 pounds since my livershrinking diet in August, a good 45 since surgery, but it was spread out all over- not just one area, but I don't hurt with constant arthritic pain, oh it's still there but down to a subdued roar, I actually fit now in chairs with arms, and pretty soon I can sit my purse next to me instead of on my lap. Those are modest gains but still nice As I lose, I gain so much more in my life, and I want it to go on and on!

It's more difficult to see the changes in yourself. It also depends what size you are when you start. I was 463 when I started, so it took longer for me, and even others, to notice that I had lost.

I have been the hardest to convince that there is a difference as i dont see it as others do i had to buy clothes twice now and i still see a lot of the same people try to tell me the difference i still see the same although i feel way better i dont hurt as much as i once did back ,knees ,ankles that is where i have to go to feel good about my progress looks matter i guess how i feel is what really matters to me !!!!!!!!!

Wow , I’ve lost 35 and have 35 to go- getting lots of comments at the gym and all my clothes r falling off . Happily I have my “skinny” clothes from 10 years ago i can wear . But I still have another 35 to go and measurements are ur best friend for this journey ...

Wear the smaller size with pride, you may be the vanguard of a Style return, let them follow your lead!

I had the surgery 4 weeks ago today, and am down 69 total (44 lbs pre surgery, and 25 lbs post surgery), and I don't see myself different, although many others do and comment.

Many of us are in the same boat. We're usually more critical of ourselves than others are of us. Keep up the good work and feel good about yourself.

Frustr8 is right. I take photos weekly in just underwear. Front and side. You are early out by the 3rd month it’ll be a change but not drastic by month 4/5 you’ll definitely notice. Here Is me at surgery day then at 3,6 & 9 moths and the far right was a week ago.

image-0.00405311584472656.jpg

3 minutes ago, nenes78 said:

Frustr8 is right. I take photos weekly in just underwear. Front and side. You are early out by the 3rd month it’ll be a change but not drastic by month 4/5 you’ll definitely notice. Here Is me at surgery day then at 3,6 & 9 moths and the far right was a week ago.

image-0.00405311584472656.jpg

DANG YOU AND I ARE ALMOST THE SAME SIZE YOU ARE LOOKING GREAT GOOD JOB !!!!!!

I know the feeling. I can only tell a difference in my face and I've lost over 70 pounds. All my co-workers tell me I look fantastic and are super supportive but I still feel massive (And I am really) but I'm only 2 months into this so time will tell I suppose.

Looking good.

Edited by Johnny B