Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey!

So my surgeon is calling me in a weeks time to book my surgery for Feb. I am so ready for this new way of life. Im ready to be a better Mom and wife. Im ready to be HEALTHY.

However, I am also terrified of not waking up, of something going wrong during surgery and of just major complications (leak is my biggest fear). I know it may seem silly, but if there's anyone out there that was in the same situation and offer some words of encouragement, I would be very appreciative. I totally understand that the risks of obesity FAR outweigh the risks associated with surgery, I just have an irrational fear I suppose.

Thanks again!

H

It's normal to be afraid before major surgery. But it'll be okay. The surgery itself is safer than getting a hip replacement (.08% vs .4%). And major complications only occur in about 2.4% of patients.

You'll be okay. :)

Sources:

https://asmbs.org/resources/studies-weigh-in-on-safety-and-effectiveness-of-newer-bariatric-and-metabolic-surgery-procedure

https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/joint-surgery/types/hip/hip-replacement-mortality-rates.php

https://obesitynewstoday.com/gastric-sleeve-complications/

I have the exact same fears every time I have to be put under , I think its just normal to be scared.

It's perfectly normal and logical to be apprehensive. Although I love my doctors, my bariatric program, I love to feel I am contolling my future and being put to sleep, you are relinquishing all control. Didn't Shakespeare say something about " What dreams may come", although this is a dreamless slumber, I do prefer being awake and the Mistress of My Life.

Thanks guys! I know it will all be well, just don’t like relinquishing control. lol I just keep reminding myself how beneficial the sleeve will be!

I am right there with you! Absolutely terrified, and my surgery is just in 4 days! (Well, less than now, technically!) I keep thinking of literally every worst case scenario (thanks, anxiety!) But in general, these surgeries are pretty safe overall. Just have to watch out for complications and be vigilant about taking care of ourselves afterwards. If you ever want to talk about your fears, feel free to message me (cause I completely understand and feel much the same worries!) Take care!

Draconian, start thinking instead of the bad, the good, the things you'll be able to do that your Weight may have made difficult, the new wardrobe you may be able to get once you "undergrow" your clothes. Less shortness of breath, not tiring as fast, oh there is a bright New world out there just waiting for a Lusty Draconian Maud to show up, are you going to deny them because of whimwahs, oh I think not! Onward my dear, you are on the Glide Path to Glory!

Hannah, I'm having bypass in February and I could have written your post word-for-word. I have all of the same thoughts, but I'm not letting them stop me from going through with the surgery. I just think about how much better life will be once I'm on the other side and am able walk up a flight of stairs without feeling out of breath.