Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One year post-op post

This time a year ago, I was lying in hospital having had open surgery. I had my gastric band removed, including the port which had been replaced using mesh which had rolled up and caused a few issues including abscesses and infections on and around my liver.

I had the band removed, and a ‘fobi pouch’ variety of the RNY - with a slightly longer but narrower stomach than is usual, with a small silastic ring sutured loosely around its middle - no stomach stretching for me!

Initially I made my weight goal the same as my gastric band low - 80kg (176lbs) and then as the weight dropped, reset it at the top of the ‘not overweight bmi’ range for my height 70kg (156lbs) - this seemed wildly optimistic to me.

I dropped just below that at my 6 month mark - remember, though, I was a ‘lightweight’ at the start at 106kg (234lbs) pre surgery, down from my 260 top weight pre the gastric band 10 years ago.

I dropped another few kilos when I got gallstones, bringing me down to about 145lbs or so, and all together pretty healthy and happy. But getting OFF my weighloss treadmill (metaphorical) was a challenge. Changing to maintenance eating was harder than I imagined, and giving away that desire to see the scales drop a small bit every morning was very hard indeed. I could see how eating disorders could take root at that point!

Anyway, in July I decided that if I was going to have a successful maintenance, exercise needed to be a regular feature in my life. I started the Couch 2 5k programme using an app, and from not being able to run for one full minute at the beginning, I now run 5-8km (3-4 miles) three times a week, and do weights at the gym the other four days. And I am loving LOVING the new me! Being mid 50s and starting running is a bit unusual, but building muscles long since forgotten is a new challenge and I love seeing the gains. Running a bit faster has replace being a bit lighter. Lifting a bit heavier has the added bonus of toning and making that lose skin a bit less bothersome!

I eat 1200 calories a day, including 70-80g Protein at least. I have three meals a day, with one healthy snack - necessary to get the calories up - I really needed to stop losing weight as I got down to 130lbs briefly and it felt TOO light - 135-137 is a good range for me, mostly psychologically! I try to limit useless carbs - if I eat sweet rubbish (even sweetener instead of sugar) the sweet cravings return with a vengeance. I suspect this is addiction-like and I will have to guard against backsliding in this area for a long long time.

The worst part of the journey? - dealing with people constantly asking when I will stop losing weight, telling me I am too thin, telling me I am taking it too far etc. Only women, by the way - blokes have been uniformly complimentary. Most women too - I love being told I look strong. People comment on how much more energy I have, how strong I seem. People literally don’t recognise me in the street. I see them thinking ‘I think I know this person’ and then jolting in surprise.

I have not one, single bad word to say about this whole experience - but, I utterly, religiously and with the help of many here, stuck to my programme. No excuses. Some slips - but straight back in the saddle (after a ‘penance’ session on the hated elliptical!)

THIS WORKS.

D1003C59-B29B-4B48-9597-C366E9713B9B.jpeg

Edited by Biddy zz

I'm so excited for you!!!!! Congrats and what great inspiration and "thinspiration"!!! So happy to have been a witness to your transformation. Couldn't happen to a nicer girlie!!!! Woohooooo!!! Goal baby! Yeah! Happy 1 year anniversary!!! And just look at it this way...when people say, "You've lost too much..." You can say that you haven't lost too much at all, you've really only gained an empty pant leg! Wooohoooo! :D

🍾🎉🎉

It's really helpful to hear your success story! Congratulations!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Congratulations! Well done! Thanks for sharing your inspirational story as well as tips on how to transition to maintenance!

Job well done, Proud of you!!! I know I'm only in the early stages, but I'm still trying to get motivative to get a food and exercise schedule. Because the extra loose skin is starting to show. Glad to hear your pointers. I think I would show those people that picture when they say you are to thin. LOL

Congratulations on your success! Love it.... no excuses!

Keep up the amazing work and enjoy maintenance.