Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG /Dumping/Late Dumping

Well I'm up late for a terrible reason. But I thought I should leave record of this because you don't see it on the boards often.

I had VSG but I have the unfortunate side effects of dumping and late dumping possibly even reactive hypoglycemia. I need to confirm the later with my doctor the next episode.

The very first time it happened or that I can remember, I was 4 months post of in Naples. I was taking a coffee and felt a wave of flush wash over me but it disappeared immediately. Thought nothing of it.

The next time I was in Paris, Nothing out of the ordinary lol. I had a pettit croissant and then a spoonful of panna cotta and I thought I was dying. Not exaggerating. Room spinning, heart racing, sight failing all in french subtitles. Took an hour to pass in a highly ornate turn of the (17th) century bathroom.

The next few times I was on home soil eating (safely/properly cooked) homemade curried chicken breast. Then roasted lamb, next a tossed salad , then means and even once Greek yogurt! But not dessert/pastries again? Whatever...I'm sure it will happen again

Absolutely no rhyme or reason. Every time it happens now I can't predict why, when or what foods will cause it. Just tonight peanuts and salmon pate. My usual suspects. I nearly went to The ER, it was that bad but I passed out in bed. Well now I'm awake to tell the tale.

So I maybe a unicorn, who knows, but if you are banking on VSG not causing dumping syndrome, you may be surprised...

Dang. :( I'm so sorry to hear this happened again! Do you have a blood sugar meter and have you started tracking your blood sugars?

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Dang. :( I'm so sorry to hear this happened again! Do you have a blood sugar meter and have you started tracking your blood sugars?

No. Never needed to as I was never ever pre diabetic, but now I guess I'm going to have to figure something out.

I go for labs this week and 1year post op visit shortly there after. I'm going to bring it up.

My last a1c in Feb was 5.1 solid and normal.

I could see if I was eating cake all damn day , I would deserve this... But protein...come on!

I hear ya. It actually has to do with carbs. It's not necessarily linear. In general it usually means you're reacting to the carbs from some point in the day. It sets up a roller coaster spiral up and down, like a wavelength until it crescendos. The only way I know to defeat it is to make the waves have shorter amplitude (height) so that the waves "flatten" out. The only way to do that is to take the fast(er) acting carbs out of the equation.

Some people can't handle grains of any sort--even oats. Others cannot handle even legumes. Some react from peanuts! Peanuts though low carb are a legume. And if your serving size is large enough, it can impact you.

Once you get an attack, sadly, it can take a few days for your pancreas to get back on board and quit over-tumping insulin into your system so you rollercoaster up and down up and down up and down for a while. :(

The only way to catch it really is to get a meter and start testing before and at periods after a meal. Once you know that meal is ok--it goes on your safe list...

It's a PIA to run down, but if your bs is falling into the 40-50-60 level that is pretty dangerous and you need to know that information. It could be >2hours out even. Mine has been known to go out to 4-6hours.

Edited by FluffyChix

It was literally Only 6 g of carbs max. Can it be enough to cause a problem?

I'm not sure it's that simple for me because once it was coffee, 0 carbs, and then the curried chicken 0 carbs ( homemade so i controlled the recipe) but I've had pastries since, full sugar kind expecting the worst... Nothing.

Im wondering if I have too low sugar now...

Edited by GreenTealael

If you still have your gallbladder, it might be the problem. Gallbladder issues are extremely common after rapid weight loss, and they can feel exactly as you're describing.

If it truly is reactive hypoglycemia, eating small meals and Snacks more frequently will help. Eat a little something every three hours you're awake. Fasting would be contraindicated.

A gall bladder issue would be an extremely common reason for the symptoms you are describing. Reactive hypoglycemia is possible, but is very rare and would surprise me.

25-30% of weight loss surgery patients who have their gallbladders develop issues requiring treatment.

Gallbladder attacks are often set off by high fat, high Protein foods. Sensitivity to eggs is often reported. Nuts, too. Spicy foods and fatty processed carbs can set off attacks as well.

Talk to your doc.

If it's gallbladder....it's a horse in a field of horses. If it's reactive hypoglycemia it's a unicorn.

Edited by Creekimp13

Wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this?

1 minute ago, elcee said:

Wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this?

Yes it's run of the mill dumping... Gallbladder is pristine, so is everything else. I think it's the sugar fat ratio that put it in motion but can't be sure... I don't eat a lot of different things anymore, or things I didn't prepare... So I'm careful, super careful.

I have this happen whenever I eat rich food. It has taken me a little while to realize when it's happening. Now I stop eating at the first sign of ickyness. I also get what I call foamy. My body want to throw up, but only foam comes up. I feel terrible for an hour until it finally digests.

Ok updates:

This has absolutely continued to happen. It happened this Sunday evening and monday afternoon. Both times I was minding my business eating Protein rich foods (greek yogurt w/ granola & chicken with roasted vegetables)

I felt like i might pass out during the incidents but i didn't. Just wanted to cry a little. But i think it has now happened the very most with yogurt, so I may cut back or give it up completely. (It's not the granola... It was happening with every variation of a parfait i made. Only the yogurt is the common factor)

50 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Ok updates:

This has absolutely continued to happen. It happened this Sunday evening and monday afternoon. Both times I was minding my business eating Protein rich foods (greek yogurt w/ granola & chicken with roasted vegetables)

I felt like i might pass out during the incidents but i didn't. Just wanted to cry a little. But i think it has now happened the very most with yogurt, so I may cut back or give it up completely. (It's not the granola... It was happening with every variation of a parfait i made. Only the yogurt is the common factor)

Do a small test. And if you have a blood glucose monitor you should try it out.

Eat 4oz of Greek Yogurt. unsweetened. nothin with it. no flavor drops. no nada. just the Greek yogurt. Use the lowest carb, lowest sugar brand you can find.

Do this test fasting.

1. Take blood sugar before eating (in a fasted state).

2. Eat yogurt.

3. Take blood sugar 30minutes after you start eating.

4. Take blood sugar every 30 minutes afterward at 1 hour, 90 minutes, 2 hours, 2.5 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours.

*Assuming your bgs rise initially, then drop very very low somewhere around 2+ hours, this should catch your extreme high from it followed by your extreme low. If you know when the low is gonna happen you can kinda schedule some food to counteract this fall. Such as eat some 1oz of dense Protein an hour or 90 minutes after the yogurt meal. By doing that, you're following sugar with protein which helps keep your levels steady.

Make a list of all the foods/qties that you test this on. That way it gives you your power back!