Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super tired after work outs

Hi all!

I’m currently coming up to my 4 month post op mark and I’ve been working out pretty much every day but lately I’ve been getting super super super tired. Not being able to finish a full hour workout I’m maxing out at 35 mins. My hair is also falling out like crazy.

I’m up to between 600-800 cals a day. I’m good with liquids getting between 2-3 liters of Water per day. Protein could be better, I’m averaging between 40-70 grams of protein a day. I know I need to be better but I’m doing the best I can with it ,including supplementing with shakes and focusing on protein rich foods. I’m struggling because of the small quantities I can eat so I’m getting 25g of protein from my shake and the other 20-30g from the small meals.

My losses have been good, averaging about 4lbs a week. I can tolerate most food, it’s just this tiredness is stressing me out! Anyone experience this? Or better yet, know how to stop it?

HW:280
CW:206
GW: 160

I was sleeved on 7/31 and I'm happy with my weight loss. My calorie range is 500-700 and I'm getting 64+oz of Water per day plus 11 oz of Protein Shake 30 g of Protein (breakfast). I'm averaging 70-90 g of protein daily. I tolerate all foods. I have tried exercising and have been doing videos. Like you, I can not get close to a full hour workout and my max has been 35-40 min but most days I end up stopping around 20 - 25. I'm not sure what to do either but just wanted you to know that you aren't alone. :)

Well don’t on the protein! I seriously struggle with it! But hey we’re both still early days I guess!

You need to get a good quality carb about 30-45 minutes before you workout to give you some fuel. Think like oatmeal. I usually eat one serving of oatmeal with Protein Powder mixed into it that I ordered custom online. I noticed I can go way harder in the gym if I do so.

2 hours ago, deargh said:

Hi all!

I’m currently coming up to my 4 month post op mark and I’ve been working out pretty much every day but lately I’ve been getting super super super tired. Not being able to finish a full hour workout I’m maxing out at 35 mins. My hair is also falling out like crazy.

I’m up to between 600-800 cals a day. I’m good with liquids getting between 2-3 liters of Water per day. Protein could be better, I’m averaging between 40-70 grams of Protein a day. I know I need to be better but I’m doing the best I can with it ,including supplementing with shakes and focusing on protein rich foods. I’m struggling because of the small quantities I can eat so I’m getting 25g of protein from my shake and the other 20-30g from the small meals.

My losses have been good, averaging about 4lbs a week. I can tolerate most food, it’s just this tiredness is stressing me out! Anyone experience this? Or better yet, know how to stop it?

HW:280
CW:206
GW: 160

Energy and exercise:

You will feel more energy as your calories increase. A full hour of a workout can be broken up into 30 mins twice a day. I know one woman who walked 30 mins twice a day. I'm not sure if I want to add to the advice on complex carbs but here is my two cents. It would depend on how intense your workouts are and if you are carb sensitive.

The Hair loss phase is no fun. I used toppik to fill in the thin spots.

Edited by skinnylife

Thanks guys! Carbs are actually a part of my plan, good carbs like @bluecrush suggested! I am lucky and can eat wholemeal products on my plan. That’s a great idea on the oats and Protein powder! I’ll try that tomorrow morning. I do, do quite intense workouts at the gym so maybe I’m going at it a little too hard for what I’m taking in! 💪🏻

I am 2.1 months post op and I'm working out over 1-2 hrs a day 5 days a week, hitting 10K steps and energy is up. I would be curious to know how active you were prior to the surgery?. I was almost 300lbs and ran marathons and cycled etc so my body was "used" to the regime.

If you weren't super active prior to the surgery, that could just be your body just needing a little rest and adjustment. The big change of the surgery then changing working out is a HUGE adjustment. Congratulations btw.

I stick with minimum 70G -80G of Protein a day (never under 70g) and my 700 calories a day are "VERY" clean calories like fishes, egg whites etc with no garbage on them and veggies (so small carbs). So I'm getting plenty of food/fuel. If you are 40g of protein at times that is way too low (maybe try to be consistent).

Again, I think it depends on how active you were prior to surgery.

Congratulations though, I think it's awesome that you "want" to work out and exercise and are looking for solutions! You obviously have a great mindset!

Well, I was active in my late teens and early twenties but then went I started gaining weight everything halted, so I was not active at all in the 4/5 years (I’m 26 now). I work out 7 days a week and try for an hour. It was going great, it’s only in the last couple of weeks I can’t manage to do the full hour 🤦🏻‍♀️. Yeah you’re def right on the Protein, how do you get so much in? Like I have a shake for Breakfast, then lean meat and veggies for lunch and some sort of white fish for dinner with again veggies. I am allowed carbs but with barely getting the protein in, I don’t want to waste my little space on food I don’t actually need? Do you supplement?

So - before a workout you need to have some kind of carb. I'm 2 years out and trying to up muscle mass and lose body fat. I add a scoop of Generation Ucan superstarch to my pre-workout shake. And I make sure I have Protein within 30 minutes of completing my workout - even if its just protein powder with Water. Doing this, in the last two weeks, has taken my muscle mass up 1.8 pounds and decreased my body fat by 2 percent.

On 9/29/2018 at 6:02 PM, deargh said:

Well, I was active in my late teens and early twenties but then went I started gaining weight everything halted, so I was not active at all in the 4/5 years (I’m 26 now). I work out 7 days a week and try for an hour. It was going great, it’s only in the last couple of weeks I can’t manage to do the full hour 🤦🏻‍♀️. Yeah you’re def right on the Protein, how do you get so much in? Like I have a shake for Breakfast, then lean meat and veggies for lunch and some sort of white fish for dinner with again veggies. I am allowed carbs but with barely getting the Protein in, I don’t want to waste my little space on food I don’t actually need? Do you supplement?

My nutritionist made me add a 1more protein to my day since I'm very active. I am extremely "boring" with my food. I keep it boring and simple and have worked so hard to look at food as a fuel not as having to be exciting. So..... I start my day with eggs whites (14g), My Snacks are 2 times a day ,small yogurts with 1/2 scoop protein powder in it (10g) . lunch is yellow fin tuna or tuna in general (16g), dinner Sauteed Shrimp(21g), and because I don't put garbage on my food (very plain) I have 1/2 a pure protein during the day (15g). That gives me about 76 easily. I have steamed broccoli typically with lunch and dinner. I'm up super early so my fueling starts around 6am and I'm done my last snack at 730pm ish.