Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my experience atypical?

I had surgery on Monday, it took 4 hours, I spent two nights in the hospital. I was “up and walking” on Monday night but it HURT to do it!! I’m home now and sore.

I guess I thought this would be the norm, but there are so many people on here that were so much less affected by surgery- out of the hospital hours later and almost no pain reported.

I had no complications but this was HARD. how many other non-super humans are out there?!?😂

1 hour ago, Separ1418 said:

I had surgery on Monday, it took 4 hours, I spent two nights in the hospital. I was “up and walking” on Monday night but it HURT to do it!! I’m home now and sore.

I guess I thought this would be the norm, but there are so many people on here that were so much less affected by surgery- out of the hospital hours later and almost no pain reported.

I had no complications but this was HARD. how many other non-super humans are out there?!?😂

Present ✋

I have a low tolerance for surgical pain (and had no desire to do a triathlon 14 mins out of the OR lol) but pain tolerance is super subjective.

1 hour ago, Separ1418 said:

Nope you're not the only one, I took pain meds through IV while in the hospital but I was still uncomfortable and had to make myself walk. When I got home I was still in pain and took the medication that was prescribed to me by my surgeon, I started feeling better and better each day as I was home. I agree it was hard but time goes by so fast. I'm already 4 weeks post op and back at work feeling just fine. Give it time it gets better :)

well another atypical, many of my. surheons bypass patients are on Stage 3, I'm on Stage 2 and not always doing well. Would you.like to trade your post surgery pain for a pouch that upchucks every time you brush your hair or decides I'll let you eat that pureed item today but I reserve the option to upchuck 2 teaspoons tomorrow. My plan folder says don't watch tV or engage in conversation when eating. I have sat at my kitchen table facing the wall, I have sat quietly by,myself, with my Baby bowl and small spoon, I have taken 30 minutes with my fairly tasteless gruel, lonely enough I could cry, I am a social being, after all. Done all these things as told. Sat quietly, and OmG , grab the Barf Bag, they sent me home with a stack,of these blue critters, now I would have preferred a stack of 1 ounce medicine cups, I think they jinxed me! And no sympathy from anyone who actually knows, they are in two camps First camp You asked for this , you deserve what you got! Yeah but I elected meal size restriction, not to fertilize the front lawn with emesis! And the second camp You are a BIG GIRL , you can stand to,lose some weight! Yeah, I guess so but I am making,up for the Post surgery immediate pain with a very sore upper chest walk pain, burp and yep was never my scene! How do bulemics stand it? Maybe they don't notice the pain.
So we all have our non-superhuman moments. I hope my problem resolves, don't really yearn for another EGD and balloon dilatation, just fearful as days go by it looms in my future. You've heard the Flintstone commercial 2 million strong and growing? You'll locate me under the title 3 weeks along and urping!
Yours very gingerly--- Frustr8

Oh so sorry @Frustr8! That sounds awful. I hope soon that they’ll find a good answer for you. Keeping you in my thoughts

Thanks I'm sure either I or they may find an answer soon, still glad for the surgery!

I was very sore for the first few days, but having lived with chronic pain I made myself get moving. Within a few days most of the pain was gone, but it took a week or so to really become minimal. I also have not ever had good luck with pain killers, so I only took them when it got really bad, and after Day 3 or 4 I no longer needed any.

Pain is very much an individual experience, which is why they recommend YOU decide how long it will take you to get back to full activity but they won't let you just lay there either.

Heal at your pace - you have to be strong and humble; strong enough to push your limits, humble enough to know when to ease up on yourself.

well another atypical, many of my. surheons bypass patients are on Stage 3, I'm on Stage 2 and not always doing well. Would you.like to trade your post surgery pain for a pouch that upchucks every time you brush your hair or decides I'll let you eat that pureed item today but I reserve the option to upchuck 2 teaspoons tomorrow. My plan folder says don't watch tV or engage in conversation when eating. I have sat at my kitchen table facing the wall, I have sat quietly by,myself, with my Baby bowl and small spoon, I have taken 30 minutes with my fairly tasteless gruel, lonely enough I could cry, I am a social being, after all. Done all these things as told. Sat quietly, and OmG , grab the Barf Bag, they sent me home with a stack,of these blue critters, now I would have preferred a stack of 1 ounce medicine cups, I think they jinxed me! And no sympathy from anyone who actually knows, they are in two camps First camp You asked for this , you deserve what you got! Yeah but I elected meal size restriction, not to fertilize the front lawn with emesis! And the second camp You are a BIG GIRL , you can stand to,lose some weight! Yeah, I guess so but I am making,up for the Post surgery immediate pain with a very sore upper chest walk pain, burp and yep was never my scene! How do bulemics stand it? Maybe they don't notice the pain.
So we all have our non-superhuman moments. I hope my problem resolves, don't really yearn for another EGD and balloon dilatation, just fearful as days go by it looms in my future. You've heard the Flintstone commercial 2 million strong and growing? You'll locate me under the title 3 weeks along and urping!
Yours very gingerly--- Frustr8
I know someone who was similar to you and had developed a small stricture. Not that this is necessarily what you have but is your surgeon completely away of the difficulty you're having? This person had a gastroscopy and they dilated the stricture then everything was completely fine

Sent from my SM-G950F using BariatricPal mobile app

Tomorrow I go to court in Morning at 8 AM, Bryan has an appointment at 2:30 and I'm scheduled at 3:15 make up from last Friday when local transport littered out. I am leaning toward stricture in my mind too! This will be the third reschedule. First it was supposed to be September 6, day after my surgery. It was rescheduled for August 28th, then that wouldn't work for insurance , had to be September. So next September 28, well didn't get to see h8m then so tomorrow October 1st. Just tried cottage cheese, I have had it! incediently, did you know that was Miss Muffets Curds and whey? Yep sure was.
Precious accepted a cream Soup for lunch, so I thought I would try one more timem Presurgery I ❤the stuff. 30 minutes going in , under 8 minutes coming out. No Mas to quote my Spanish friends.

Tomorrow I go to court in Morning at 8 AM, Bryan has an appointment at 2:30 and I'm scheduled at 3:15 make up from last Friday when local transport littered out. I am leaning toward stricture in my mind too! This will be the third reschedule. First it was supposed to be September 6, day after my surgery. It was rescheduled for August 28th, then that wouldn't work for insurance , had to be September. So next September 28, well didn't get to see h8m then so tomorrow October 1st. Just tried cottage cheese, I have had it! incediently, did you know that was Miss Muffets Curds and whey? Yep sure was.
Precious accepted a cream Soup for lunch, so I thought I would try one more timem Presurgery I [emoji173]the stuff. 30 minutes going in , under 8 minutes coming out. No Mas to quote my Spanish friends.
My friend had to stick to clear fluids/soups till the gastroscopy....maybe just stick with those 🥣

Sent from my SM-G950F using BariatricPal mobile app

It wasn't an easy stroll in the park for me either. My surgery took more than 3 hours and then I had an additional 3 hours in recovery where they kept me sedated for a while because my heart rate was too high. I got to my room after 9 pm so there was no walking for me that night or even the next morning. My body is used to pain but this was not easy.

Now I'm struggling with energy. I don't seem to have enough.

I also had My surgery on Sept 24. My surgeon that day also had 5 other patients. They all went home the next day Tuesday. Not me I was in pain from being so bloated It hurt to move, or even breath. Everyone is different nobody's experience is the same because no two people have the exact body. I happened to have a lot of scar tissue from an old injury. My Dr said it could of played a role. I know I have a high tolerance for pain my body just needed that extra day. At one week out I feel like a whole new person. I'm sure you do also.

Edited by FaithandHope

1 hour ago, FaithandHope said:

I also had My surgery on Sept 24. My surgeon that day also had 5 other patients. They all went home the next day Tuesday. Not me I was in pain from being so bloated It hurt to move, or even breath. Everyone is different nobody's experience is the same because no two people have the exact body. I happened to have a lot of scar tissue from an old injury. My Dr said it could of played a role. I know I have a high tolerance for pain my body just needed that extra day. At one week out I feel like a whole new person. I'm sure you do also.

Thank you I do feel better. It was a rough couple of days.