Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, Pals. I want to share something so that hopefully it does not happen to anyone else. I am 2 week’s post op- gastric bypass. Everything was going very well. I wasn’t losing yet, but the surgery had gone well and I wasn’t in any pain.

I did the post-surgery diet for a week and a few days. My nutritionist cleared me for puréed food. I was happy to be off just Protein Shakes. I thought that as long as I was not throwing the food back up- everything was ok. I had experienced a couple bad reactions to food- eggs mainly- where as soon as I ate it- they came back up within 15 minutes. Since things were moving along ok, I added some soft food- mostly when I had to eat out- and chewed it up to a fine grain before swallowing- again, I thought if it wasn’t coming back up- all was ok. After doing this maybe 2-3 times, about 2 hours after dinner, I started having very sharp stomach pains and was vomiting about every hour. This went on all night. I have not been that miserable since childbirth. At 5:00 am I called the on-call doctor and they sent me straight to ER. They ran a CT scan and I had a partial bowel blockage. I was in the hospital 2.5 days. My diet was reset to nothing, Clear Liquids, then eventually Protein shakes. I am now back to this stage for at least another week or so.

Moral of the story- don’t advance your diet too quickly. And, call the on-call doctor if something seems wrong. All night I thought I was just having a bad reaction to something I ate and it would resolve itself. But a small part of me knew something wasn’t right and I’m glad I trusted my gut. Full bowel blockages can be fatal.

Thanks and best wishes.

That sounds awful. Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you get well soon.

Sounds horrible. Glad you got through it with no major issues. Sucks you had to go through it though. Happy healing from here on out.

This is frightening, I am hearing this often now.

Thanks, I’m experiencing this now. I’m in the ER.

30 minutes ago, Crump408 said:

Thanks, I’m experiencing this now. I’m in the ER.

I'm so sorry you are in the midst of this. Wishing you a very rapid recovery. If it helps- after that incident was resolved- my weight loss started to pick up (about 3 pounds per week) and while I still have problems keeping food down- it has been MUCH better. Get well soon.