Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I found this very interesting.

It talks about Ghrelin and how it affects both food and alcohol cravings

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-human-hunger-hormone-might-cure-alcoholism-3?via=newsletter&source=DDMorning

Fascinating! Thanks for posting!

Interesting. This is the first time I've seen reference to obese peoples ghrelin levels not dropping fully after eating in the way that non-obese peoples ghrelin levels do. It certainly supports the idea that our obese bodies are actively pushing us to continue eat too much, not just our mental desires/cravings for food.

Very interesting! I had just read the New York Times study of participants from The Biggest Loser tonight also, and the role of the hormone, leptin. Fascinating stuff, for sure! https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?rref=collection%2Fseriescollection%2Fthe-science-of-fat&action=click&contentCollection=health&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=9&pgtype=collection

On 07/30/2018 at 21:11, Lyngolean said:

Very interesting! I had just read the New York Times study of participants from The Biggest Loser tonight also, and the role of the hormone, leptin. Fascinating stuff, for sure! https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?rref=collection%2Fseriescollection%2Fthe-science-of-fat&action=click&contentCollection=health&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=9&pgtype=collection

That’s an interesting article! I want to carry around copies and hand them to people when they ask why don’t I just diet and exercise. 😆

57 minutes ago, Lyngolean said:

That article is terrifying! :unsure:

I would love to hear a doctor's take on this. I did a little research and learned leptin is produced in the fat cells. It sounds like we want to increase leptin sensitivity and/or increase leptin productiin. Ghrelin is produced in the stomach. Surgery patients' ghrelin is dramatically reduced and returns to some extent as we get further out from surgery although never to the same extent. My surgeon made the point that research is showing that surgery allows the body to create a new set point. I can't help but think he's thinking of these hormones that work so hard to keep the body at the weight it is accustomed to.

14 hours ago, Lyngolean said:

I've known this for years. Didn't have proof, but knew it in my heart. All that calories-in, calories-out BS was always nonsense. Our bodies are not sealed science experiments. They adjust. Maybe if I'd gone to med school instead of engineering school I would have found the proof for this a long time ago.

Yes, eating a calorie deficit will reduce weight. I know that. The problem is trying to determine the baseline before you can calculate a deficit.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

On 7/30/2018 at 9:41 PM, Lyngolean said:

My surgeon made the point that research is showing that surgery allows the body to create a new set point.

You have no idea how hard I am hoping this is true!

On 08/03/2018 at 21:45, sillykitty said:

You have no idea how hard I am hoping this is true!

Well good news!! From what I can find through internet searches, researchers KNOW that it DOES happen - right now they are working to pinpoint exactly HOW it happens.

Thank you for posting this. It explains a lot of what has happened to me.

I was a functional alcoholic for a few years in my 20s, then a regular drinker after that. Still had extra cravings for alcohol, but I could control it just fine.

I was concerned that I might develop a problem with alcohol post op bc it seems to happen for some people.

Instead, I want alcohol even less. What a relief! We have enough to go through postop!

Just had my RNY 9 days ago and I truly detect no diminished ghrelin activity over here. Craving food and alcohol like mad.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Just now, nevertoolate said:

Just had my RNY 9 days ago and I truly detect no diminished ghrelin activity over here. Craving food and alcohol like mad.

I thought that since no part of the stomach is removed during the RNY, Ghrelin production was not expected to be diminished? I could be wrong though ....

I thought that since no part of the stomach is removed during the RNY, Ghrelin production was not expected to be diminished? I could be wrong though ....
Holy smoke, that would make SO MUCH SENSE.