Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I am having trouble getting my Protein in. I have 3 weeks out from gastric bypass. I am back at work and I feel ok for now, but worried about in the long run. I can't seem to stomach my Protein Shakes at all. I have a few others on the way to try, but it's like they hit my stomach so hard. I also can only get about 40oz of Water in as well. Any tips? Thank you!

1 hour ago, MissLindseyR said:

Hello all,

I am having trouble getting my Protein in. I have 3 weeks out from gastric bypass. I am back at work and I feel ok for now, but worried about in the long run. I can't seem to stomach my Protein Shakes at all. I have a few others on the way to try, but it's like they hit my stomach so hard. I also can only get about 40oz of Water in as well. Any tips? Thank you!

What type of Proteins have you tried? Not all proteins are "created equal" and certainly not all brands of Protein are as good as the others.

Have you tried any plant based proteins? Soy? Pea?
Some folks end up being lactose intolerant after surgery, are you having issues with milk at all?

At 3 weeks post, I wouldn't stress TOO much, just see if you can find a protein that works for you. Have you looked into the Isopure Zero Carb RTD drinks? They are clear, high Protein Drinks with the consistency of Water, so you can get your liquid count in as well as your protein count at the same time. A nice 2 for 1 combo deal.

Oikos Triple Zero yogurts have 15g

I really like UNJURYunflavored Protein Powder. It is is medical quality Whey Protein Isolate, which is often tolerable for people that are lactose intolerant. I also like their chicken Soup flavor protein and Ready-To-Drink products.

https://www.unjury.com/products.html

19 hours ago, MarinaGirl said:

I really like UNJURYunflavored Protein Powder. It is is medical quality Whey Protein Isolate, which is often tolerable for people that are lactose intolerant. I also like their chicken Soup flavor Protein and Ready-To-Drink products.

https://www.unjury.com/products.html

FYI, there is no such thing as "medical quality" protein. That's just a marketing gimmick. If you notice, they trademarked the term... so it's not a legit thing, it's just their marketing bs.
UNJURY® Medical Quality Protein™

GENEPRO was sued for a bunch of things, but one thing that came out of the lawsuit was "no industry or FDA standard for "medical grade" protein exists" https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20171213e89

Are Unjury products good... sure, are they really that much better than other proteins... some, but not all. And don't fall for that marketing BS... if it works for you, awesome. But it's not because of some non-existent "medical grade" protein standard.

For the record, All "Whey Isolates" are more tolerable to those with lactose issues. Some more than others...
https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-lactose-intolerant-people-drink-whey-protein-shakes-11706.html

Edited by Matt Z

Thank you Marina Gitl, I will keep Unjury in mind!

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, Matt Z said:

What type of Proteins have you tried? Not all Proteins are "created equal" and certainly not all brands of Protein are as good as the others.

Have you tried any plant based proteins? Soy? Pea?
Some folks end up being lactose intolerant after surgery, are you having issues with milk at all?

At 3 weeks post, I wouldn't stress TOO much, just see if you can find a Protein that works for you. Have you looked into the Isopure Zero Carb RTD drinks? They are clear, high Protein Drinks with the consistency of Water, so you can get your liquid count in as well as your protein count at the same time. A nice 2 for 1 combo deal.

I have not tried those, I have tried the Protein 2.0 and the premier clear. They actually make me thirstier. I have Quest on the way to try those. I am doing yogurt, but I worry since I can't eat the whole thing that I'm still lacking in protein. Even putting the flavorless in foods, when I don't finish it, am I really getting much protein?

I have tried those two clear ones, Premier Protein, and the Protein Shots. Like I said, I have quest on the way, but it seems most protein hits my stomach really hard. Should I try another type of protein?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, MissLindseyR said:

I have not tried those, I have tried the Protein 2.0 and the premier clear. They actually make me thirstier. I have Quest on the way to try those. I am doing yogurt, but I worry since I can't eat the whole thing that I'm still lacking in protein. Even putting the flavorless in foods, when I don't finish it, am I really getting much protein?

I have tried those two clear ones, Premier Protein, and the Protein Shots. Like I said, I have Quest on the way, but it seems most protein hits my stomach really hard. Should I try another type of protein?

Thanks!

Might be worth trying some pea or soy protein, just only to see how you react. If I were in your shoes, I certainly would get a small sample of some plant based Proteins to try out.

1 minute ago, Matt Z said:

Might be worth trying some pea or soy Protein, just only to see how you react. If I were in your shoes, I certainly would get a small sample of some plant based Proteins to try out.

Any idea where I can get some small samples to try? Amazon?

1 minute ago, MissLindseyR said:

Any idea where I can get some small samples to try? Amazon?

You can check online, I know lots of places will typically provide some samples. You could also check into your local supplement stores, they sometimes offer samples there as well.

2 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

You can check online, I know lots of places will typically provide some samples. You could also check into your local supplement stores, they sometimes offer samples there as well.

Awesome, thank you!!!

I mix FAGE Total 2% plain yogurt with 20g of Protein with Bio Chem unflavored whey Protein 20g.

I don't taste the protein powder. There's no gritty texture. In fact, it's richer and creamier now. If I hadn't been the sneaky culprit who spiked my own yogurt, I'd never notice the protein powder in there.

After my post-op protein struggles, I'm finally getting some protein. Still not the recommended amount, but a whole lot more than before.:D

On 7/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, MissLindseyR said:

Hello all,

Hi MissLindsey,

I really enjoy the plant based pea Protein from Arbonne, both the chocolate and vanilla. They also have unflavored which can be mixed into other liquids...I particularly like adding it to broth. It is maybe a little more expensive than other products, but it's the best tasting protein powder I've ever had.

http://www.arbonne.com/Pws/homeoffice/store/AMUS/catalog/Nutrition,272.aspx?itemsperpage=24

Also, I only just ordered the sample variety pack of single-serving Syntex nectar protein powder and I was amazed at how good the "non-creamy" fruit flavors are. It mixes easily and achieves the consistency of Water or crystal lite. Only six grams of protein per serving, but could at least be a boost to what you're already taking in.

Of course, everyone's different and tastes change. I got the lapband in 2009 and anything from Isopure made me gag. I'm revising to RNY next week and have been testing out a variety of protein shakes/powders/mixes in advance so I don't end up with a cupboard full of stuff I can't stomach!