Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Until They Set the Date?

Hi, newbie here.

I saw the surgeon for the first time back in Nov 2017. Was put on the standard pre-op procedure (diet, physical, psych eval) and was recommended to get the sleeve. Saw him the second time in March 2018 for a follow-up. Thought we were going to set the date but he wanted to put me on another 6 months review. When I said "that's too long, how about 3 months?", he hesitated but the nurse reminded him that this was my 2nd appointment.

Apparently, he'd forgotten that I'd seen him before. I'll be seeing him for the 3rd time soon. What should I do, guys? I want to set the date already. It's one thing if he thought my stats were not good so he postponed the surgery but it looked like he was just absent-minded. Is it appropriate to push him for a date?

Where are you from? The program seems to be different where I am, (Boston mass) the surgeon basically waits for insurance approval while making sure you follow the program to help with the approval.

I'm in Asia. The cost will be subsidized by the govt but I could try to get my insurance to pay for the rest if it's deemed a life-saving procedure. But from what I know insurance doesn't usually cover WLS here so I'm not holding my breath. The 2nd follow-up felt like such a waste of time that I don't wish to repeat that with my 3rd. Any advice on how to move things along is appreciated.

If using insurance contact the company and get exactly what they need before authorization. Once you have that contact surgery scheduled to submit all your files to insurance. Be proactive. Call insurance company make sure they received it. Call again until you find out if approved. Once approved call the scheduler back and let them know you are approved and ready to schedule.

Sorry - contact the surgery scheduler at the office - auto correct

Thanks for the input, nurse girl. However, as I mentioned before, the issue isn't with the insurance. In my case, it seems like I need the surgeon to say "Okay, let's do the surgery!" to get the ball rolling but he's not doing that and he doesn't say why.

TBH I am getting impatient here but I don't know if letting my surgeon know how I feel is the best way to deal with this. I certainly don't want an upset surgeon operating on me.

Edited by sharonee

Honestly, I would push. You have nothing to lose by advocating for yourself.

For me, I had an initial consultation October 2017. I determined with the surgery coordinator that I wouldn't be able to have surgery by the end of the year due to my work schedule and my surgeon's schedule. Not wanting to pay out of pocket in both 2017 and 2018, I put everything on hold. First week of 2018 I had an appointment where we knocked out the NUT and psych eval. The surgery coordinator and I set a tentative date, assuming quick insurance approval. I went and had all my testing done, met with the pcp. And one month later, I had my surgery.

Where in Asia are you? It may be a male control. issue that doesn't want to tell you. Maybe as me politely and somewhat derferientally, Doctor I do appreciate you seeing me but could you please give me an approximate date? You probably,know how much you,can push a man in authority in your society. I know I would phrase it to an American doctor but, keep in mind American women tend to be outspoken.

6 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Honestly, I would push. You have nothing to lose by advocating for yourself.

For me, I had an initial consultation October 2017. I determined with the surgery coordinator that I wouldn't be able to have surgery by the end of the year due to my work schedule and my surgeon's schedule. Not wanting to pay out of pocket in both 2017 and 2018, I put everything on hold. First week of 2018 I had an appointment where we knocked out the NUT and psych eval. The surgery coordinator and I set a tentative date, assuming quick insurance approval. I went and had all my testing done, met with the pcp. And one month later, I had my surgery.

sh*t, I was looking at your height and starting weight and we're the same, girl! I could've been at where you are now :(

Anyway, good news, I asserted myself...and the wheels have been set in motion!!! I've been scheduled for endoscopy in July, after which he said I could have the surgery in August. We haven't set the date yet but it definitely looks like it's on. I had to sign a bunch of forms and was also given a payment schedule. Wish me luck, guys!!!

Edited by sharonee

Push - you have already put over 6 months into the process. Good Luck!

6 hours ago, sharonee said:

sh*t, I was looking at your height and starting weight and we're the same, girl! I could've been at where you are now :(

Anyway, good news, I asserted myself...and the wheels have been set in motion!!! I've been scheduled for endoscopy in July, after which he said I could have the surgery in August. We haven't set the date yet but it definitely looks like it's on. I had to sign a bunch of forms and was also given a payment schedule. Wish me luck, guys!!!

That's great news!

I totally get the feeling. If I had known how fast the process could move I could have had it done in 2017. But a few months doesn't matter in the scheme of things!