Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I really think everything will be easy for me except the smoking part. I need help, advice and maybe a buddy on this! :) Because I KNOW it's required for surgery. Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Krystal Moon said:

I really think everything will be easy for me except the smoking part. I need help, advice and maybe a buddy on this! :) Because I KNOW it's required for surgery. Thank you.

That has veen my hardest part so far. I went to my seminar Feb 13th. Quit smoking Feb 26th. I did use a nicotine free e cig for a few wks. I still have cravings.

I quit smoking 30 years ago using the LifeSign QuitKey Smoking Cessation Computer, which you can buy on Amazon for $40. You need to follow the directions exactly even if they seem silly to you, they serve a purpose. The product uses a multi-disciplinary approach to stop smoking. Smoking is a drug, a habit, a crutch, and more. The first important thing the program does is to break the association between wanting a cigarette and smoking. Instead you will learn to smoke when the buzzer goes off. This is Pavlovian! (You need buy-in from work.) The second thing the program does is to gradually reduce your dependence on nicotine. This is physiological. The third thing the program does is to have you list all the reasons you want to stop smoking. You read those reasons when you have the urge to smoke before the bell. I used to smoke 2-3 packs a day. I quit cold-turkey when I was down to 4 cigarettes a day. I did as they suggested and spent the day at the movies where you can't smoke.

well because I'm Vegan now, I'm researching documentaries on animal products in cigarettes, like pigs blood in filters as well as other nasty ingredients...and the hidden stuff they don't want you to know about cigarettes including animal testing. So this may just do it! Been researching all day!

I quit cold turkey years ago. It was tough. I cleaned all cigarettes out of my house and car, but I only smoked outside. So I woke up the next morning and just had none. I spent the first few days mostly at home. But then went places where no smoking is the norm....movies, shopping...etc. Smoking is actually so frowned upon now you are basically a pariah even if you are outside smoking so it’s a lot easier to find places people are not smoking.

The website whyquit.com had a lot of cold turkey info if it’s still around.

You can do it!

Nicotine free vape all the way. It’s all about the gesture for me. My team said it’s fine. A month out of surgery I’m still using it.

Nicotine free vape all the way. It’s all about the gesture for me. My team said it’s fine. A month out of surgery I’m still using it.
I second this. It worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't really wanna vape, I wanna stop altogether. Thanks for the site KimTriesRNY

Chantix worked like a charm for me

I agree with the nicotine free vape! I have smoked for 25 years, when I decided to have the surgery, I laid them down, used nicotine free vape for about 2 weeks and then was done with that. I’m sure that is not quite long enough for some, but for me that’s all it took.

My brother followed the book “Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking” (and has even gotten 3 or 4 of his friends to do the same). It sounded crazy when he told me about it, but he swears by it and he hasn’t smoked in 12 years.

I quit 5.5 months ago using the Juul e-cig a nice little prescription of my dear friend Wellbutrin (it was prescribed for depression/adhd, but also helps with quitting smoking!)

I am now switching to nicotine free vapor juice as I have surgery in a month and it’s a requirement.

It’s great if you can do it without vaping, but honestly do whatever works for you. Think about why you smoke and what’s stopping you from quitting. For me the habit was strong, I have bad anxiety, and adhd. Addressing those issues made quitting a lot easier for me.

The first three days are the hardest no matter what method you choose.

The only time I’ve badly craved a smoke is when I’ve had a few alcoholic beverages, but thankfully I rarely drink and I’m having the surgery so I won’t be able to drink afterwards anyhow.

Good luck!

Getting on wellbutrin, (bupropion) was the only way for me. Go to your doctor ask for it, it is a wonderful antidepressant with a side effect of not wanting a cigarette. I quit within a week of taking it and stayed on it for a year. It also gives you a great energy boost and you lose weight too. I had quit many times by myself prior, but always started back up again. This was the easiest and less stressful way I tried, I also have no desire for a cigarette since. Smoking is so bad for your body, you realize how much better you feel when you quit and you want to keep that feeling.

I wish you the best!