Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Following the Dr but 2 Wks post & stalled/overeating?

I got the sleeve a little over 2 weeks ago and I'm so worried. I just met with my doctor and even she seems a bit concerned. I had a 2 week post-op liquid diet and I handled everything way too well. I consciously slow down but have slipped up once or twice and chugged Water or a Protein Shake (like 15-20 mins to finish a premier protein). Literally no problem. At most a few burps. On top of that I had my stall at just 2 weeks out. I know you shouldn't weigh everyday but I literally haven't lost anything (even gained/lost .5-1lb somedays) for the last week. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have been on a 2 week pre-op & 2 week post-op diet and my last week of the pre-op liquid was just 600-700 calories which was about the same as my 2 week post-op diet so I'm trying to justify it as I've been eating the same thing for 3 weeks but my doctor still told me that's not normal but to also stop weighing myself everyday.

That's not even the worst part...

Now I'm on pureed and I'm tolerating food way too well. My doctor's guide is that I can have up to 600-800 calories (previously been doing ~700) and each sitting shouldn't be more than my fist (bit more than a 1/2 cup). I did that for dinner today with a variety of pureed items (1 Laughing cow, 2 tbsp pureed eggplant, 1 tbsp pureed walnut, 1 tbsp avocado, 1 tbsp ikura, 3 tbsp pureed crab salad). In total it was about 200 calories (my meals are 150-200 cals each) + it was within her "fist" guideline but out of curiosity I weighed the food and it was 6oz. I downed the whole thing with no problem in about 25 mins (could've been even shorter but I tried to slow myself down). Everyone else I'm seeing online seems to struggle to get down the food in those tiny 2oz sample cups and here I am without an issue.

I am getting my Protein in, not drinking before/after meals, taking my Vitamins, and (mostly) getting my water (probably the only thing I should work on a bit more). Has anyone else had these issues? I'm so scared I'm going to fail. My doctor straight up told me how I'm doing is not normal and I'm terrified. I had the lapband before and didn't put in the work and gained weight on it. I'm finally trying so hard this time but only lost 10lbs since surgery. I don't know what to do.

Edited by vsg4vfc

First off, take a deep breath. My journey started exactly as yours did. I could not feel restriction, could eat more than others, had a pretty good appetite and was worried because I didn't lose anything until the 3rd week.

I put on 11 pounds of Fluid in the hospital and I did lose that in the first two weeks. Keep sticking to your plan and the weight will come off! I can't even believe that your Dr was so discouraging about your loss. When exactly was the last time that you were able to lose 5 pounds per week?

Keep telling yourself that the rules of logic dictate that there is absolutely no way that you will not lose weight if you stick to the plan. Sadly, we can't lose it overnight but, the good news is that with our new tool losing it is very doable.

Hang in there!

Oops, one more thing. Do up your Water intake. That and getting enough Protein is exactly what will make the pounds start falling off.

I had a hard time with fluids at first too. Just find a zero calorie liquid that you really, really like. That will help you to get more in.

Thank you so much. I'm happy to hear at least one other person didn't feel the restriction as much as everyone else (I definitely feel it but I still have some appetite and I don't get any of the discomfort/pain other people get).

I will definitely up my Water. I don't have too hard a time getting it down versus because I eat 3-4 small meals a day and there's the buffer time between meals. Then I don't drink immediately after cause I'm full still and I'm scared I'm going to stretch out my stomach. Then the next meal is almost around the corner. The last reason is dumb and I know it but I weigh myself at night too (cause usually I have a pretty good idea of what I'll be in the morning) and I see that once again I won't be losing anything so I'm scared of even putting on water weight that'll cling on.

But yeah my Doctor was mostly supportive but the way she said "that's not normal" when I told her about the lack of restriction scares me so much.

Edited by vsg4vfc

You're doing just fine. Some people don't feel "true" restriction until they start solid foods. liquids and mushies can slide right through the sleeve. Wait until you eat your first egg or meat. You'll feel it.

The stall is utterly and completely normal and happens to 98% of us 2-6 weeks post op. It actually has a name...."The Dreaded 3 Week Stall". It mostly happens around week 3.

Try not to stress and concentrate on Protein and fluids. Stay off the scale for a month. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you get back on.

I really hope that's the case and that I'll feel the restriction when I move on. I'm sure I did some damage cause I started off as a Lap Band patient about 5 years ago and learned to eat around the band to a point where I felt no restriction. I definitely really went for mushy food early on in the Lap Band experience and had awful choking reaction but still forced myself to eat cause I was that addicted to food. I'm far from well-off but I'm also not that person anymore and I really hope I'll learn from this restriction (if it hopefully comes) versus trying to force it away like last time.

I haven't heard too many people stalling in the 2nd week but I'm glad there's some. Like I mentioned, it scares me how much my doctor said that getting a stall at 2 weeks was flat out abnormal.

Haha I will try to weigh myself less though honestly that's the main advice I haven't been able to follow. I'm so paranoid I literally bring scales with me on vacation so I can monitor myself.

I wouldn’t worry too much. I felt no restriction until I was on solid foods. I also stalled at 3 weeks.. I actually gained 2 lbs between weeks 3 and 4.

I’m more worried about your surgeons reaction. I would also be upset if I was following the program and my surgeon told me that was not normal.

That's a relief. Do you guys know around how many oz you were eating before the soft/solids phase? I'm still a bit worried since 6oz still seems like quite a bit. I'm really hoping I just hit my stall early. Most people say 3 weeks so I'm wondering why mine seemed to come in week 2 (like week 1.5 to be honest...)

She was very bubbly and encouraging but very bluntly told me the stall at this stage is not right. I'm definitely a bit concerned since I've been following. Not sure if I messed up somehow but yeah I don't know... She said most people meet with her for a 3 month visit but wanted to give me extra support so I have another visit in 1 month.

I was weighed at a little less than two weeks post op, and had lost 14 pounds... then last weekend, five days after I’d lost those 14 pounds I got on a scale, even though I told myself I wouldn’t. Actually, TWO scales. One said I’d gained a pound and a half and the other said I’d lost .5 it has really messed with my head.... I’m hoping it’s just the stall people are talking about here, but I’m with you, it’s freaky. How is it possible to eat virtually nothing compared to life before, and not lose weight?!

HW 289
SW 262
CW ? (5/14= 248lbs)

VSG 5/2/18 [emoji92]
Kaiser, Ontario - Dr. Chin

I COMPLETELY agree. Seriously, I have no idea how my body isn't losing. Like I see all these theories but in the end I'm eating so little, where is the weight coming from? And of course there's my fried's who can eat a ton and gain nothing :47_tired_face:

I would absolutely do the same! I know it's bad to weigh yourself so much but I'm more scared that I wake up after not weighing myself for a while and find out I gained 5 lbs or something...

two week post op I lost nothing, the third week here it was 30 lb loss. I had a lot of Fluid in my from the surgery , the Surgeon recommended no weighing yourself at least into the 3rd week, I see why. i agree with the other replies, stay hydrated and I dont know if this will help but my surgeon said, 6 weeks post op you are at risk of bursting/rupturing that new pouch. Dont eat until you feel full, just have 1/2 cup of food at a time and see how you do. He recommended more smaller amount of food during the entire day rather than getting too full at one time and stressing the pouch. Best of Luck ...keep us posted how you are doing

"I haven't heard too many people stalling in the 2nd week but I'm glad there's some. Like I mentioned, it scares me how much my doctor said that getting a stall at 2 weeks was flat out abnormal."

He is full of poop. Most surgeons don't even tell people about the 3rd week stall, because frankly, most of them don't know about it. He should read WLS forums, because then he'd see he's flat out WRONG.

I am 4 years plus out, and have been on WLS forums for 5 years. I have seen literally hundreds of panicky posts like yours asking why they've stopped losing weight at around 2-6 weeks. Google it. Better yet, do a search in this very forum. You'll see around 10, 234 posts about this particular stall. And half of them are at 2 week post op. And guess what? Every single one of them continue on to lose weight. It also won't be your last stall.

Stop fretting and just do what you need to do and watch the magic happen. It will all work out.

Here comes the science:

A "stall" a few weeks after surgery is not uncommon, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs. of Water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when a patient is not getting in enough food, the body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. Then when 2 lbs. of glycogen is used a patient will also lose 8 lbs. of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs. that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

However, when the body stays in a caloric deficit state the body starts to realize that this is not a short-term problem. Then the body starts mobilizing fat from adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But the body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. As it puts back the 2 lbs. of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs. of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though the patient might still be losing energy content to their body, the weight will not go down or it might even gain for a while as the retention of water dissolves the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

I'm a lay scientist so this makes perfect sense to me as many other assessments did not. Thank you so much.😛

13 hours ago, vsg4vfc said:

I got the sleeve a little over 2 weeks ago and I'm so worried. I just met with my doctor and even she seems a bit concerned. I had a 2 week post-op liquid diet and I handled everything way too well. I consciously slow down but have slipped up once or twice and chugged Water or a Protein Shake (like 15-20 mins to finish a premier protein). Literally no problem. At most a few burps. On top of that I had my stall at just 2 weeks out. I know you shouldn't weigh everyday but I literally haven't lost anything (even gained/lost .5-1lb somedays) for the last week. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have been on a 2 week pre-op & 2 week post-op diet and my last week of the pre-op liquid was just 600-700 calories which was about the same as my 2 week post-op diet so I'm trying to justify it as I've been eating the same thing for 3 weeks but my doctor still told me that's not normal but to also stop weighing myself everyday.

That's not even the worst part...

Now I'm on pureed and I'm tolerating food way too well. My doctor's guide is that I can have up to 600-800 calories (previously been doing ~700) and each sitting shouldn't be more than my fist (bit more than a 1/2 cup). I did that for dinner today with a variety of pureed items (1 Laughing cow, 2 tbsp pureed eggplant, 1 tbsp pureed walnut, 1 tbsp avocado, 1 tbsp ikura, 3 tbsp pureed crab salad). In total it was about 200 calories (my meals are 150-200 cals each) + it was within her "fist" guideline but out of curiosity I weighed the food and it was 6oz. I downed the whole thing with no problem in about 25 mins (could've been even shorter but I tried to slow myself down). Everyone else I'm seeing online seems to struggle to get down the food in those tiny 2oz sample cups and here I am without an issue.

I am getting my Protein in, not drinking before/after meals, taking my Vitamins, and (mostly) getting my Water (probably the only thing I should work on a bit more). Has anyone else had these issues? I'm so scared I'm going to fail. My doctor straight up told me how I'm doing is not normal and I'm terrified. I had the lapband before and didn't put in the work and gained weight on it. I'm finally trying so hard this time but only lost 10lbs since surgery. I don't know what to do.

I am in the SAME exact situation. I can drink a Premier Protein shake in about 15 minutes with 0 discomfort, and have to stop myself from doing just that. My nutritionist actually advised me to try really soft foods (such as oatmeal or scrambled eggs) and I was too chicken to try it until last night when I just could NOT sip another meal. I ended up eating turkey chili, had 3oz thinking I'll never finish this, and I did. Devoured the whole thing and had to force myself to do it over a 45 minute period. I could have gone for more! I am a little over 1 week post op, have not felt the restriction much, and am getting in 100oz of water and at LEAST 75g of Protein, usually closer to 90 each day.

The difference is my doctor is not concerned at all. Though it is not the norm, she says that she attributes my success to being super well hydrated and having a nicely shrunken liver day of surgery.

Meanwhile, I am bummed a bit by my success because the scale is like meh... don't feel like moving.