Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op RNY- questions

I had gastric bypass on April 11th 2018, one week ago tomorrow.

Surgery went well, the only pain I had after was due to the drain. After my drain was removed on Friday before I went home, I felt great and have ever since. Aside from being slightly sore around the incisions, I barely feel like i had surgery. I'm walking (except for the first couple days, because the weather decided to be winter again), drinking plenty. I'm drinking Water, zero calorie/sugar free drinks, and sugar free popsicles. And slowly working up to 3-4 Protein Shakes per day by my 2 week check up visit, as instructed. I'm a bit frustrated because I haven't been dropping weight like a lot of people seem to do at first. I lost 14lbs during my 10 day pre-op diet. When I got home from the hospital, I was around 5 or 6lbs heavier than the weight the morning of my surgery. I know that is normal and from all the extra fluids they pump in. But I weighed again yesterday, and I was the same weight I was the day of surgery. Am I doing something wrong? I'm on all liquids and have not had anything that I am not allowed to have.

I have had this concern since the day I came home. I can drink anything. I feel like I can drink the same as I did before surgery. I know a couple people who have had this surgery, and all they ever talked about was having to always do small sips, that they couldn't drink a lot at once without feeling very full or spitting it back up. I have had none of that at all. I feel the same as I did before (though I do not feel hungry at all yet). I was prepared to feel horrible. I was warned by everyone that I'd have little energy and strength for the first 2 weeks and would need to be working hard on getting enough to drink. No one warns you about feeling normal. I feel like I feel... TOO normal. I almost want to be struggling like everyone else. It feels like I didn't have surgery or I am doing something wrong. Why am I able to drink so easily without feeling any restriction? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm now terrified that once I transition to food that I will feel the same way, and will be a failure. My lack of struggle with drinking feels like I have already failed somehow.

I want to feel like you after surgery... blessings! Enjoy them!

That how I felt too! Truly awesome. When you get to foods you’ll feel it! Even with food- for me- I was able to eat more faster than most but never more than 3/4 cup now.

We are all different in our experiences. Just do you! It’ll happen and you’ll be amazing!

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 174
5’6”

I lost the weight on day 5 all of a sudden. Plus you lost quite a bit pre op. Your body is adjusting! Count your blessings, it will come.

I lost a lot the first week - but I also did not have a pre-op diet - quite the opposite I did a lot of binging the week before...so mine was all the Water and detoxing that you lost during your pre-op. From then on my weight loss was a consistent 2-4 lbs a week. So I would give it another few days or a week and I bet you will start seeing the weight drop. I also had no problems drinking or eating (my program starts purees right away) and was freaked out because it didn't seem "normal". But remember the people who tend to reach out in support forums are those that are having issues. So you don't see a lot of posts saying "hey I was able to drink all my water today without problems. Just wanted to let you all know!" I went through several months where I was wishing I would get sick because I thought that was 'normal' and I was worried my surgery didn't work - and I know how crazy that sounds but it was real in my head. Try not to worry though. We all have our own journey but in the end if you follow your plan you will be successful. Hang in there!

On ‎04‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:10 AM, Origin said:

I have had this concern since the day I came home. I can drink anything. I feel like I can drink the same as I did before surgery. I know a couple people who have had this surgery, and all they ever talked about was having to always do small sips, that they couldn't drink a lot at once without feeling very full or spitting it back up

Within 2 weeks post op, I could practically "chug" liquids. This is a good thing. You may not feel restriction yet, because liquids run straight through, but once you get to soft foods... you will be reminded that you did have surgery. CONGRATS and hang in there!

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks to everyone for answering my questions. At my 2 week post op visit I was down 14lbs.

Now that I am on puree food, I can definitely feel that I did indeed have surgery! lol. I still never feel anything from drinking, but really feel pressure and tightness feeling after eating. Some things I can eat more of than others. Yogurt is pretty easy to get down right now, but eggs or refried Beans I can only eat maybe half the amount before feeling sick. Not worried about it, just going slow. Feeling pretty good overall still!