Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beware Corn on the Cob

I'm getting impatient for spring, and wanted a nice outdoor grilled chicken breast with pineapple and balsamic glaze...and steamed corn on the cob.

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

I figured I wouldn't have any issues with corn on the cob because I can eat canned/frozen corn ok, and have no problem eating a potato skin if I cut it small and chew it well. Hell, I eat celery diced up in chicken salad these days......no issues.

For whatever reason....the corn on the cob (which was absolutely delicious, btw)....didn't play well with my sleeve tonight. I think the problem...is that maybe I ate too many kernels too fast and didn't chew long enough?

I think the action of gnawing it off the ear makes it easy to swallow without chewing well enough, and getting too big a bite. You don't want to inhale, so you swallow...etc.

Anyway....after gnawing half an ear, digestion stopped moving for a bit, I didn't get the slimes....but I could tell if I didn't quit eating, I would. So, I quit, and waited, and an hour later was able to finish my chicken and pineapple.

I'm gonna take a rain check on corn on the cob for a while. Maybe if I cut it off the cob, it'll be easier to keep my bites small and chew well?

Figured I'd mention it cause it's getting to be that time of year.

Be careful if you run the experiment:)

I can just now do some raw crunchy vegetables - cucumber, radish, pea pods but romaine lettuce is still a no-go, I can do spring greens a little bit. Have not tried corn on the cob - I will wait until July when it is locally fresh (not from Mexicco).

I wonder why some people have issues with Romaine lettuce and some don't?

I remember being cautioned about it by my dietitian...and I was like.....Oops, i've been eating Cesar salad for a couple of weeks. Pretty early on....8 weeks out?

And she was like, You're lucky. If it's not bothering you, go with it, but some people don't tolerate it well until later.

Does it make any sense that a pea pod would be tolerated when lettuce isn't? I totally believe you...it's just so weird, isn't it?

The many mysteries of tummy tolerances...

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

I wonder why some people have issues with Romaine lettuce and some don't?

I remember being cautioned about it by my dietitian...and I was like.....Oops, i've been eating Cesar salad for a couple of weeks. Pretty early on....8 weeks out?

And she was like, You're lucky. If it's not bothering you, go with it, but some people don't tolerate it well until later.

Does it make any sense that a pea pod would be tolerated when lettuce isn't? I totally believe you...it's just so weird, isn't it?

The many mysteries of tummy tolerances...

I had a lot of problems with lettuce until just this last week when I tried it again. I'm glad I listened to a lot of Vets on here say, if it doesn't work now... try...try again!

Thank you for the warning. I am SO looking forward to fresh, boiled corn on the cob. It's one of my favorites.

There are so many variables in what we can tolerate that it's hard to make a blanket recommendations. Many do have problems with lettuce, though many do not - I never did, though I usually use raw spinach for its somewhat better nutritional profile, and was having small salads after a month or so. I don't think I tried raw corn all that early, but haven't had any problem with that either.

The general rule that we have followed is to try new things in small amounts one at a time to test our tolerance for them.

10 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

I'm getting impatient for spring, and wanted a nice outdoor grilled chicken breast with pineapple and balsamic glaze...and steamed corn on the cob.

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

I figured I wouldn't have any issues with corn on the cob because I can eat canned/frozen corn ok, and have no problem eating a potato skin if I cut it small and chew it well. Hell, I eat celery diced up in chicken salad these days......no issues.

For whatever reason....the corn on the cob (which was absolutely delicious, btw)....didn't play well with my sleeve tonight. I think the problem...is that maybe I ate too many kernels too fast and didn't chew long enough?

I think the action of gnawing it off the ear makes it easy to swallow without chewing well enough, and getting too big a bite. You don't want to inhale, so you swallow...etc.

Anyway....after gnawing half an ear, digestion stopped moving for a bit, I didn't get the slimes....but I could tell if I didn't quit eating, I would. So, I quit, and waited, and an hour later was able to finish my chicken and pineapple.

I'm gonna take a rain check on corn on the cob for a while. Maybe if I cut it off the cob, it'll be easier to keep my bites small and chew well?

Figured I'd mention it cause it's getting to be that time of year.

Be careful if you run the experiment:)

TMI time

Pre surgery- ever notice corn kernels don't digest well...You can still see the fully formed kernels after you :70_poop:

I skip corn it's rough on my sleeve.

Yeah I have and it seems to take days before it and I part company. Just dribbles along out of my colon.[emoji44] A little story, bear with me a second. Ok I'm ready. My son who is now an angel and probably watching over me as I write, had many food allergies, among which one was corn. Poor kid, he asked me once " Mom, what does corn taste like? " Had to think a minute and then said "Well corn on the cob tastes a lot like cooked zuchinni and popcorn a lot like your rice cakes" He thought a minute himself and said "No wonder people like it so much!" It's been 10 years, I still miss him so much. When I see his schoolmates I wonder what he would be doing at each stage of their lives. Would he be married, would he have children, would he be satisfied and happy with his life? Yes you do heal after a while but it's like a keloid scar in your inner being and sometimes the scar still hurts.[emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the warnings!

1 hour ago, Mattymatt said:

Thank you for the warning. I am SO looking forward to fresh, boiled corn on the cob. It's one of my favorites.

Roasted on the grill! Yum!

TMI time
Pre surgery- ever notice corn kernels don't digest well...You can still see the fully formed kernels after you :70_poop:
I skip corn it's rough on my sleeve.

Yes! I avoided it for years, it hasn’t played nicely. I did try it again recently at 4.5 years out... I cut fresh from the corn and threw in a griddle to get a char on it. Then added to some carmelized onions. Was doing it for my family but decided to give them another try and HOORAY no issues! I’ve had it twice since, once more fresh and once frozen and have done just fine!