Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It depends on your insurance, but it's going to be a qualified maybe. Depending on type of procedure though the post-op complications are pretty rare (I think <1%) and probably not going to be a major concern. That said to alleviate the risk there are a couple things you can do.

* Verify if your insurance will cover you.
* Purchase a supplemental Medical Tourism Insurance Policy.
* Stay in Mexico for a week so that if you do develop an issue you can be treated by the doctor who performed the surgery.

It would likely depend on complication. A case of dehydration, sure. The real problems arise if something needs to be surgically repaired. Most surgeons don’t want to perform surgery or “fix” another surgeon's issue once there is a problem.

That being said, if you had surgery outside the United States and a medical emergency presented itself treatment would be rendered I should think regardless of where surgery was performed.

It would likely depend on complication. A case of dehydration, sure. The real problems arise if something needs to be surgically repaired. Most surgeons don’t want to perform surgery or “fix” another surgeon's issue once there is a problem.
That being said, if you had surgery outside the United States and a medical emergency presented itself treatment would be rendered I should think regardless of where surgery was performed.

I guess that's true! I work in the ER and didn't even think about that, if I have an emergency, the hospital can't turn me away.

It wouldn't hurt to call around to bariatric Drs near you and ask if they would do follow up care. I know a person that had hers done in Mexico and did find a group that was willing to provide follow up care for her here in the US

You will need specific blood work done at regular intervals and bariatric surgeons are most familiar with what needs to be checked

Edited by Yoyogirl

I purchased a complication insurance policy through a company called GPS out of South Carolina. They only cover certain surgeons & hospitals/centers, but my particular surgeon & center were covered. There are policies you can purchase in Mexico that will only cover you if you return to Mexico and receive treatment from your original surgeon. Not helpful in an emergent situation, unless you haven't left MX yet! You can choose the amount of coverage you wish to purchase based on how much you are willing to spend. My policy covers me for up to 6 months post-op. I am at 3 months right now. I haven't had any issues, thankfully, but it's good to know it's there for the next few months just in case. It's true, I'm sure, that the ER would have to treat an emergency situation, but if a surgery or procedure were needed for a leak, stricture, blood clot, etc., I think a big fat bill would end up coming in the mail. All of my doctors think I'm a bit crazy for having gone to MX, even though I had a great experience and very good results so far. It's really frustrating. Maybe they should have convinced my insurance co to cover me then? Anyway, good luck!

I purchased a complication insurance policy through a company called GPS out of South Carolina. They only cover certain surgeons & hospitals/centers, but my particular surgeon & center were covered. There are policies you can purchase in Mexico that will only cover you if you return to Mexico and receive treatment from your original surgeon. Not helpful in an emergent situation, unless you haven't left MX yet! You can choose the amount of coverage you wish to purchase based on how much you are willing to spend. My policy covers me for up to 6 months post-op. I am at 3 months right now. I haven't had any issues, thankfully, but it's good to know it's there for the next few months just in case. It's true, I'm sure, that the ER would have to treat an emergency situation, but if a surgery or procedure were needed for a leak, stricture, blood clot, etc., I think a big fat bill would end up coming in the mail. All of my doctors think I'm a bit crazy for having gone to MX, even though I had a great experience and very good results so far. It's really frustrating. Maybe they should have convinced my insurance co to cover me then? Anyway, good luck!

Thanks so much, for sharing that info.