Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve stretching paranoia? Week One VSG question

Is it really possible to stretch your sleeve the first week from fluids? My nurse told me even though I could drink 8oz of Protein Drink over 20-30 minutes time that I was risking stretching my stomach back out.

Obviously this scared the living crap out of me. Is there a chance Ive stretched my stomach because I drank 8oz of Protein drink instead of the 4oz it calls for on my meal plan?

Posted (edited)

wicked , the whole stretching thing is hotly debated but what is important is that you drink slowing and as soon as you feel full stop. Problem solved.

grats on your surgery and i hope the next weeks and months are as good for you as they have been for me.

Its nice to see another guy here. We are badly outnumber for some odd reason

Edited by allwet

I think that is fear mongering by your nurse. I felt no restrictions with liquid, and could certainly drink more than 4oz. But when eating solid Protein, I am full after 1 oz. So I'm certain liquids didn't stretch my sleeve.

1 hour ago, WickedBoB said:

Is it really possible to stretch your sleeve the first week from fluids? My nurse told me even though I could drink 8oz of Protein Drink over 20-30 minutes time that I was risking stretching my stomach back out.

Obviously this scared the living crap out of me. Is there a chance Ive stretched my stomach because I drank 8oz of Protein drink instead of the 4oz it calls for on my meal plan?

Love this video the title is deceptive.

Sleeve stretching is rare. Some revisions have been done. I feel for anyone who has had any type of complication.

The term "stretched sleeve" misused by many patients to describe the normal volume progression. Your first months healing from surgery your restriction is tight. Further out from surgery you can hold more volume. (volume will be different for each patient)

• one month 3 bites
  • six months 3 to 4 oz
  • Year 1/2 a plate
  • 5 to 10 years full plate of food.

Post by @sharonintx https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/411809-i-do-not-understand-no-restriction-left/?tab=comments#comment-4606368

Another post by @Creekimp13

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/411815-photo-of-stretched-sleeve/

d67cdd09a511c96b7c21b3bd7e20a549.jpg.6c75b408011e80a1d4fdfb48e4eaf8fc.jpg

download.jpg

It is possible to stretch your sleeve, but that is usually once it has healed and about years out. However, some people are able to drink or eat more than others due to the size of their sleeve. Not everyone's sleeve is the same size.

One week out, I could only drink Water at 2oz a time. However, now I can drink about 6oz a time without a problem. However, food is different.

I would suggest following your nurse's orders as you are still fresh out of surgery. Do not push yourself because the worst thing that can happen is damage to your staple line.

I’m day 12 now. I’ve done some research and yes, I think it is fear monger omg from my nurse. She’s never been through the surgery, she doesn’t understand exactly what is going on with my stomach beyond what she’s been taught. I have the personal experience, and I’ve found that I’m quite okay drinking this much Fluid over 30 minutes. There is no pain or discomfort unless I just try to drink too much at once. I can say I can comfortably drink maybe 2-3oz within a few seconds without feeling discomfort but if I go beyond that I can feel it pressing against my esophagus.

maybe my nurse was confused or didn’t understand what I was telling her. It’s not like I just tossed back 8oz at a time. I sipped it over 20-30 minutes, and I’m still doing so today without issue. I haven’t vomited since leaving the hospital and I know to listen to my body’s limits.

I was just really paranoid the way she lectured me about drinking more than 4oz of that shake. I’m fine, really.