Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full liquid diet and pouch stretching

Hi All. I am almost two weeks out and on what is called the full liquid diet by my surgeon. Basically, they added skim milk, 4 oz of yogurt, 2 oz of no sugar added applesauce and 2oz of sugar free pudding.

The SF pudding, in my opinion, is not really necessary except for the texture and taste but I can live without it. I will say that before the RNY I thought the SF pudding wasn't sweet at all and now wow it sure is sweet lol.

The dannon light and fit greek yogurt is healthier - no fat, lots of Protein, etc. No sugar added applesauce is ok and the only fruit I can have so I eat it.

Thing is, I don't really want to eat more than 800 calories a day so I'm cutting out the pudding and eating only the 4oz of yogurt and the 2oz of applesauce.

My question is this. I am not gulping my Protein Shake or Water but I sure can drink it faster than I could when I just had surgery. I also went to the movies and ate a whole yogurt over a period of an hour.

Do you guys think that it can stretch my pouch if I drink down more than a sip at a time of liquid or eat that yogurt in an hour? Thanks.

Hi All. I am almost two weeks out and on what is called the full liquid diet by my surgeon. Basically, they added skim milk, 4 oz of yogurt, 2 oz of no sugar added applesauce and 2oz of sugar free pudding.
The SF pudding, in my opinion, is not really necessary except for the texture and taste but I can live without it. I will say that before the RNY I thought the SF pudding wasn't sweet at all and now wow it sure is sweet lol.
The dannon light and fit greek yogurt is healthier - no fat, lots of Protein, etc. No sugar added applesauce is ok and the only fruit I can have so I eat it.
Thing is, I don't really want to eat more than 800 calories a day so I'm cutting out the pudding and eating only the 4oz of yogurt and the 2oz of applesauce.
My question is this. I am not gulping my Protein Shake or Water but I sure can drink it faster than I could when I just had surgery. I also went to the movies and ate a whole yogurt over a period of an hour.
Do you guys think that it can stretch my pouch if I drink down more than a sip at a time of liquid or eat that yogurt in an hour? Thanks.

My surgeon had the same procedure on himself and he says that taking time to eat is the best way to not to stretch it. He also said only to eat when my full attention is on the food. Sounds like you taking an hour to eat a yogurt is a good thing! I would usually eat a yogurt preop in minutes!

You need to eat everything you're told. Or at least try hard to do so. The reason being...as you heal, you NEED to stretch it a little several times a day to keep the openings open, and reduce the odds of it developing a stricture from scar tissue. (that's what I was told)

4 ounces of yogurt in an hour is fine.

You won't stretch your pouch drinking fluids...they move right through. Most of the stuff you're eating right now does.

And of course you can drink more now...you're healing. it's a good thing:) Less risk of dehydration.

Edited by Creekimp13

The reason you can have more now is because the extreme swelling from surgery is starting to go down. Plus, as Creekimp said everything you are eating (liquids, yogurt, etc) is just sliding right through your pouch. Taking an hour to eat yogurt is a long time. My surgeon recommends that we eat our meals in 30 minutes (and at 2 weeks out we were on 4oz of pureed). I think you're fine - but if you do have concerns you can always call your surgeons office to discuss them.

I'm 3 weeks and 3 days out. I was on full liquids for the first 2 weeks then onto purees starting week 3. I can still only eat 3oz maximum and that takes me about 1 hour. 2oz is easier - that's about 40 mins. I only do this 1-2 times each day and supplement with sipping Protein water/shakes. X

You need to eat everything you're told. Or at least try hard to do so. The reason being...as you heal, you NEED to stretch it a little several times a day to keep the openings open, and reduce the odds of it developing a stricture from scar tissue. (that's what I was told)
4 ounces of yogurt in an hour is fine.
You won't stretch your pouch drinking fluids...they move right through. Most of the stuff you're eating right now does.
And of course you can drink more now...you're healing. it's a good thing:) Less risk of dehydration.

You are right! I just looked it up. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi @BlueGirl1920 I felt the same until I tried to eat something that made me feel like crap last night. I know they did the surgery now for sure lol! Puree/soft food ages a if difference as the liquids just run trough xx

My bariatric centre also approved low fat cottage cheese in liquid diet stage. Which is great for me since I happen to love it!

I hadn't eaten cottage cheese in years. Not sure why I stopped. Then I bought some when I was allowed to eat it after surgery and it was soooo good. I never quite appreciated it as much as I do now. And such a great Protein source. [emoji230]

Hi @Nancy Geoghegan and @BlueGirl1920

I am just on 8 weeks post op. Soon after surgery, I asked my partner ‘how do we know he DID the op, not just cut and sew’ because I could eat more, and more importantly I could eat faster, than he said I should expect. I would forget and gulp my drink - with no ill effect (I tried not to, of course). I would eat 4oz pottle Of yoghurt for Breakfast, and get through it.

Now, 8 weeks later, I am exactly the same - I am eating the same quantities. Since the end of week 1, no stretching. And I am losing 1-2lbs a week, effortlessly. My tastes have changed, my portions always less than 1/2 cup for 3 meals a day, and I am eating more than I really am driven to to get calories and Protein in.

My surgeon said “you have good peristalsis” (the rhythmic cramping that moves food through our gut) which is good. He said that for patients like me the most important rule is - eat your protein first, for the rest of your life. That really helps us good-peristalsis-girls stay on track.

I can easily do that!

Edited by Biddynz

I hadn't eaten cottage cheese in years. Not sure why I stopped. Then I bought some when I was allowed to eat it after surgery and it was soooo good. I never quite appreciated it as much as I do now. And such a great Protein source. [emoji230]

Agreed. Add a little dillweed to it for a bit of a change. My 16 year old inherited my love of cottage cheese, so we keep well-stocked.

Surgery December 20...
Sw 236
Cw 199

Eating 4 oz a meal and never feel “full”.

I do get a chest type pain when I eat too fast but only with solids. Water and Protein Shakes I can drink quickly in 10 min

Worry abt why I don’t feel full and stretching stomach out??

Anyone else?