Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Think I'm Doing Everything Wrong...and Shrinking

Real food sucks...I have it on occasion and 1-2 oz's max. Protein Shake in the morning, then munch on nuts, cheese, beef Jerky and Protein Bars throughout the day, then have a few bites of whatever the fam's having for dinner. Doc said no alcohol for 6 months post op. Yeah, right. I've been drinking as regularly as I did before (sans beer :44_frowning2:) since the full liquid stage. Tolerance was low for about a day or two, then back to normal. Exercising as per the nutritionist's guidelines, though, so not doing everything wrong. 75 pounds in a little over 2 months. Extreme hypertension down to near-normal.

No regrets.

Am I alone in just doing it my way?

Feel free to do what you want to do with your own body, and you are perfectly within your rights to do so, but I think you set a bad example. Even if only one person decides to disregard their doctor's orders (like your example with alcohol) and they hurt themselves or complicate their health, then you have contributed to it.

Well, you know...even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Party on Wayne.

Well, you know...even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Party on Wayne.

What’s that about moneys and Shakespeare?

No I’m sure you aren’t the only one out there doing it your own way. Get back to us is about 3 years and let us know how it worked for you.

HOW MANY BEERS ARE YOU DRINKING A NIGHT ....HOW OFTEN

My surgeon said to me once that regardless of whether you follow the plan or not you will lose weight in the beginning. The bigger issue is keeping it off long term because once the honeymoon phase is over we will need to rely on better habits.

Myself and others that I know in the area have all been told no alcohol for a year. The reason not being completely on the intolerance, but more on the higher likelihood of alcoholism and addiction since it takes so little to get the buzz.

Take a look at how and when you are eating. If you are grazing on stuff throughout the day, then that could be why you are only tolerating small amounts of non 'real-food.'

I was told to eat at least 2-3 hours apart. No liquids 30 mins before or 30 mins after.

To each their own. I hope you don't get any major complications from your current path.

I drink so seldom I forgot about the alcohol rule. My kiddo made some homemade cherry mead and wanted me to taste it last week .... it had completely slipped my mind.

I took a tiny sip...and that one little sip of mead burned like rubbing alcohol on a paper cut going down. It really hurt...and I remembered immediately that it was too soon.

I took a big drink of Water (which helped a lot) and looked up the alcohol rule. (and went...ah, crap!)

I might repeat the experiment...next Christmas.

1 hour ago, RussT said:

I think you set a bad example.

Thanks...badge of honor.

53 minutes ago, BRIAN HAT said:

HOW MANY BEERS ARE YOU DRINKING A NIGHT ....HOW OFTEN

"Sans" beer = "no" beer

5 minutes ago, Raffi said:

Thanks...badge of honor.

Responses like yours are dangerous. You're proud to disregard doctor’s advice. Go ahead and be proud of thinking you know better than trained surgeons and nutritionists. It’s your life. If you want to harm yourself with pigheadedness, carry on.

Explain the harm, Russ. You might convince me. I'm not a moron, I researched the issue and spoke to dozens of people who've done this. Stop lecturing and teach a newb.

Q: Can I drink alcohol after surgery?
A: Alcohol is not recommended after bariatric surgery. Alcohol contains calories but minimal nutrition and will work against your weight loss goal. For example, wine contains twice the calories per ounce that regular soda does. The absorption of alcohol changes with gastric bypass and gastric sleeve because an enzyme in the stomach which usually begins to digest alcohol is absent or greatly reduced.

Alcohol may also be absorbed more quickly into the body after gastric bypass or gastric sleeve. The absorbed alcohol will be more potent, and studies have demonstrated that obesity surgery patients reach a higher alcohol level and maintain the higher levels for a longer period than others. In some patients, alcohol use can increase and lead to alcohol dependence. For all of these reasons, it is recommended to avoid alcohol after bariatric surgery. (American College of Surgeons, 2011)

Risk for Alcohol Abuse Intensifies after Bariatric Surgery:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/887243

food for thought.

Edited by Creekimp13

16 minutes ago, Raffi said:

Explain the harm, Russ. You might convince me. I'm not a moron, I researched the issue and spoke to dozens of people who've done this. Stop lecturing and teach a newb.

I'm not here to explain anything to you. Your Doctor and nutritionist already did. They gave you explicit directions on how to eat and drink post surgery but you are choosing ignore their professional direction and are choosing to do what you want to do. There might not be any harm, but then again there might be next week, next month, tomorrow...who knows. You're playing with fire and you seem not to care. I still think are setting a bad example to those who come here to do things safely and per doctor's orders. You posted this thread to get opinions. You got mine...and by the way, you are a newbie.