Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four days on clear liquid . Water, 2 servings of broth, popsicles, and gatorade . I’m starving with no energy; dreading tomorrow when I have to pretend I’m sick while cooking and smelling food I love. I’m tired and feeling drained. I know it’s only two days ways. But....

I feel your pain. I had to cook Thanksgiving dinner for family while on my pre-surgical liquid diet. I was starving, grumpy, my head felt like I was trying to think through cotton...and my husband, mom and daughter all said I wasn't myself. That I seemed vague and miserable and just washed out.

I felt washed out! Bigtime. I had a pretty miserable time with my liquid diet if I'm honest. But surgery went really really well....I recovered really rapidly.

You are halfway there. You can do this. Surgery will be a tough day or two...but then, it's just a matter of doing your checklist diligently, and you'll be on the mend in no time. Sip, walk, suck (on the lung clearing thingy). Just keep sipping and walking.

At least after surgery, you have a clear objective and no turning back. Before hand...I understand how maddening it is. Those two weeks were one of the hardest things I've ever done. Particularly, Thanksgiving.

But think of this....How tough and resolved do you have to be to get through this? You're a bariatric rock star. Facing Christmas and sticking to your diet....proves you've got serious moxie and that nothing is gonna derail you.

I know it's hard as hell. But you've got this. You really do. Take it an hour at a time when you have to....but you'll make it.

Edited by Creekimp13

I feel your pain. I had to cook Thanksgiving dinner for family while on my pre-surgical liquid diet. I was starving, grumpy, my head felt like I was trying to think through cotton...and my husband, mom and daughter all said I wasn't myself. That I seemed vague and miserable and just washed out.

I felt washed out! Bigtime. I had a pretty miserable time with my liquid diet if I'm honest. But surgery went really really well....I recovered really rapidly.

You are halfway there. You can do this. Surgery will be a tough day or two...but then, it's just a matter of doing your checklist diligently, and you'll be on the mend in no time. Sip, walk, suck (on the lung clearing thingy). Just keep sipping and walking.

At least after surgery, you have a clear objective and no turning back. Before hand...I understand how maddening it is. Those two weeks were one of the hardest things I've ever done. Particularly, Thanksgiving.

But think of this....How tough and resolved do you have to be to get through this? You're a bariatric rock star. Facing Christmas and sticking to your diet....proves you've got serious moxie and that nothing is gonna derail you.

I know it's hard as hell. But you've got this. You really do. Take it an hour at a time when you have to....but you'll make it.

Thank you so much.. I’m an emotional mess today. Don’t have many people to talk to, Don’t want people to know.

I burst into tears at commercials, got irritated with everyone, and had sinister secret second thoughts about cancelling surgery thoughout my liquid diet.

When you stop consuming sugar and your body starts to starve...it forces your liver to do this magical process of turning fat into glucose...so glucose in your blood can power your body. (your brain lives on glucose...so when the glucose gets low...your brain is the first to get twitchy) Your liver uses it's private stores in the liver first...which is why the diet causes the liver to shrink a little as the liver gets called on to make the glucose.

My liver was angry.....What in the hell? LOL. You want me to do...what? Do you have any idea how long it's been since I've MADE glucose for you? We don't make sugar...we EAT sugar, remember? Have a donut!

Man, it was hard. Being glucose deprived is coorelated with all sorts of interesting things...lack of impulse control, bad judgement, bad temper... it really does affect your head.

Try to have more trust in your usual self....the self that has been working toward this goal for months...the self that has worked really hard to get here. Trusting your current self....is not the best idea.

You'll make it. And you'll look back and go...Man that was hard! So glad I stuck to it, though!

I burst into tears at commercials, got irritated with everyone, and had sinister secret second thoughts about cancelling surgery thoughout my liquid diet.
When you stop consuming sugar and your body starts to starve...it forces your liver to do this magical process of turning fat into glucose...so glucose in your blood can power your body. (your brain lives on glucose...so when the glucose gets low...your brain is the first to get twitchy) Your liver uses it's private stores in the liver first...which is why the diet causes the liver to shrink a little as the liver gets called on to make the glucose.
My liver was angry.....What in the hell? LOL. You want me to do...what? Do you have any idea how long it's been since I've MADE glucose for you? We don't make sugar...we EAT sugar, remember? Have a donut!
Man, it was hard. Being glucose deprived is coorelated with all sorts of interesting things...lack of impulse control, bad judgement, bad temper... it really does affect your head.
Try to have more trust in your usual self....the self that has been working toward this goal for months...the self that has worked really hard to get here. Trusting your current self....is not the best idea.
You'll make it. And you'll look back and go...Man that was hard! So glad I stuck to it, though!

I truly appreciate your words of encouragement . When did you do your surgery?

So many treats around me today . Had to go to a separate room to cry. I can feel what I guess to liquid moving in my stomach , so weird.

Dreading my mother law tomorrow, especially since I’ve always been a pig in the past. She will be asking questions.

I am 10 days post op and practicing my “I can’t eat - just have an upset tummy” talk for everyone at Christmas dinner!

Good thing is, if you are feeling a bit ‘sick’, that explains why you might be crabby too!

Ship might have sailed for you on this already, but I told folks I was having a hernia repair - which is true. I then attribute everything to that, shrinking the liver, liquids after due to swelling in the throat etc. We'll see how it goes tomorrow, but so far so good! Weird as it sounds it's a bit easier post surgery.

Feeling a little more optimistic today. Just have to fake it till I make it. Sill REALLY HUNGRY. :)

I’m only on day three of liquid diet. I’m chewing A LOT of sugar free gum. Good luck to you! Very hard during the holidays. I chose not to go to my family gathering bc of all the temptations.

I just finally decided to tell everyone about my 12/19 sleeve. I was stressed about getting through the holidays anyway and then on top of that, keeping people in the dark and how do I hide it and all that goes with that.

I called on the phone and told a few key family members. I asked them to spread the word. The 2 people I told were surprisingly excited for me and thought I was a rockstar for doing it now!

My main reason for not wanting to tell anyone in the first place was I didn’t want to call any kind attention to myself especially my weight. Then I thought if I don’t tell people they are going to eventually figure it out which means they are going to talk about me/my weight more. So, I figured I would just tell people now and be done. Just work on my Protein and Water.

Good luck!!!!

Eight hours till my surgery! Can’t sleep , but I don’t feel nervous. I know I’ll be a blubbering mess when they take me back.

Holiday went really good. Was able to pull off the not felling well card. Did some pretend eating. There may have bee a couple licks of a spoon[emoji854] and I might of chewed a cookie and then spit it in the trash when no one was looking. I know that’s sound gross but it was so satisfying.

Four days on clear liquid . Water, 2 servings of broth, popsicles, and gatorade . I’m starving with no energy; dreading tomorrow when I have to pretend I’m sick while cooking and smelling food I love. I’m tired and feeling drained. I know it’s only two days ways. But....

It is very normal to feel the way. You got this. I was sleeved July of 2017 and the day of surgery I was calm as yet I was an emotional mess the week before. Congratulations on your decision to take care of yourself.

I'm a week out and I hear you about the exhaustion. Yesterday was tough cooking for family (all my favourite things!) But just the thought of damaging my new stomach was enough to keep me at bay.
One thing about your post- You are not hungry. I know it feels like you are but you truly aren't. I was in tears days 3-5 because I literally felt like my stomach was eating itself and the pangs were so bad I thought I was starving. Turns out I wasn't take enough Acid blocker. Surgeon set me straight and the pangs literally went away in an hour. You can do This!

Had my surgery the 26th, got home around 3 yesterday. Just woke to find a leak in my pain pouch thing. Need the numbness to stay a bit longer.

Suggestions please? 72 hrs post op, pain is becoming manageable. Tried the Protein Water yesterday and almost Ralphed myself; Smells bad and taste bad. Worked i will not heal without the Protein.< /p>