Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to lose 20lbs before surgery

Had an appt with the Dr today. Was given orders for a UGI and abdominal ultrasound. Need clearance from my pcp.... and I NEED TO LOSE 20lbs! Help! Anyone else required to lo se 20lbs before surgery?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, my doc wanted me to lose 10% of my body weight prior to surgery which was approximately 24lbs. I didn’t make it, I lost 16 but he was happy with that. He had me on the sandwich diet which is such a cruel name. Basically I was alternating a week of low carb and two weeks of liquid diet. It was hell and I was a cheater.

You can do it!

I had to lose 10%....which was 27 pounds. I ate 1800 calories a day, and exercised like a mad woman until I burned 3000 calories each day. Tons of walking, especially. The Fitbit is a wonderful tool.

Took me about 16 weeks to do it...but I did it:)

I had to lose 22 lbs to be approved. I just went to my final nutrition appointment yesterday and I met my goal. I lost a total of 24 lbs since Sept. I made sure to eat a Protein and veggies/fruit at all meals, and cut out all bread and Pasta. I also drank only Water.

I had to lose 5% which I did in the first 6 weeks. Now I'm kinda on a sorta maintenance calorie/carb plan from the doc and RD. I'm still losing 2-3lbs per month and I'm only a couple of pounds away now from 10% loss during the program time. I would say, follow your surgeon/RD plan to the letter and do everything possible not to cheat. You will only cheat yourself. This time is the time to begin learning new behaviors and practice new ways to interact with food. It's about doing the baby steps to accomplish lifelong change.

Thank you all for your responses!!!!! I'm trying hard to lose this weight, thank you all again!!

I was also given the 10% target as well... 27 pounds for me. It's slow going, and especially tricky right now during the holidays. One of my motivations is that my next appointment (and weigh in) is on Jan 9... I desperately want to be down at that appointment.

You can do this!

I went in for surgery in Jan and he ended up just doing a liver biopsy as my liver was enlarged, diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver.

Surgeon required me to lose 30lbs prior to trying again. I ate 1200 calories a day and limited my carbs to less than 100. Lots of salads Soups and tacos. Lost most in 6 weeks and had my surgery. Lost more the week before surgery on the pre-op diet.

Youve got this. I was pissed for a while but got over and got it done!

good luck!

I went in for surgery in Jan and he ended up just doing a liver biopsy as my liver was enlarged, diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver.
Surgeon required me to lose 30lbs prior to trying again. I ate 1200 calories a day and limited my carbs to less than 100. Lots of salads Soups and tacos. Lost most in 6 weeks and had my surgery. Lost more the week before surgery on the pre-op diet.
Youve got this. I was pissed for a while but got over and got it done!
good luck!

Thank you!!! Soups and tacos! Yum! How are you doing now?

I had the SIPS procedure on 12/11 and I’m losing a pound a day since surgery and am no longer on my insulin pump for diabetes!!!

total weight loss = 53lbs

I have to lose 17 pounds and have lost 12 of it in three weeks! I make sure I get my recommend amount of Protein fat and starches in and my total calories is never above 1200 and I burn most of it off my working out. Getting a Fitbit has been my life saver getting 15000 to 20000 steps a day and it is just melting off

I had the SIPS procedure on 12/11 and I’m losing a pound a day since surgery and am no longer on my insulin pump for diabetes!!!
total weight loss = 53lbs

Awesome!

I had to lose 15. The first 10 came off quickly - the last 5 were tougher with a vacation thrown in. I started out high Protein, low-carb, and then started subbing in a Protein Shake for Breakfast every day. eventually subbed shake for breakfast and lunch, but also had high protein Snacks. Walking too.