Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what does a gallbladder attack feel like?

hi guys, I'm having constant pain in the middle of my abdomen, I've had it mostly all day. I have been running to the bathroom as well (sorry tmi). Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-S907VL using BariatricPal mobile app

It's been a while since I had my gallbladder out, but I don't remember any running to the bathroom issues. It was painful--horribly painful--and sometimes I'd force myself to throw up because then I'd feel a bit better. It would keep me awake most of the night. Gallbladder attacks tended to be tied to eating (overeating) fried, fatty, or greasy foods.

If you think this is your issue, consult your physician. Or, basically, since you have some issue/concern, consult your physician!

Good luck.

It's been a while since I had my gallbladder out, but I don't remember any running to the bathroom issues. It was painful--horribly painful--and sometimes I'd force myself to throw up because then I'd feel a bit better. It would keep me awake most of the night. Gallbladder attacks tended to be tied to eating (overeating) fried, fatty, or greasy foods.
If you think this is your issue, consult your physician. Or, basically, since you have some issue/concern, consult your physician!
Good luck.

thank you for responding! If it continues I will.

My GP misdiagnosed me with “epigastric abdominal pain” essentially blowing me off for five months. Granted it was “only” recurring pain in my stomach, it was chronic, not really worsening in pain. I kind of figured I was overdoing it on the Advil. Then one night the BF and I were sharing a banana split and on my second bite I keeled over in the most intense pain. We drove to the ER and I got down on my knees and thrust my stomach into the edge of the seat of the plastic chair- it was embarrassing as frick but it was the pressure on my stomach that relieved any pain. They gave me a shot of morphine and I barfed all over the poor ultrasound tech. And she knew exactly what it was before she even saw the stones. The next morning the pain was gone and they figured one was stuck in the duct. Took it out that evening and to this day my body cannot make up its mind whether it wants to tolerate dairy or not- some days it constipates me, others I immediately get the trots. I definitely agree about going to the doctor to check it out, from my experience gall bladder issues manifest over a period of time but can also be mistaken as something as innocuous as simple stomach irritation from whatever....Let’s hope that’s all it is with you!!! Feel better!

My GP misdiagnosed me with “epigastric abdominal pain” essentially blowing me off for five months. Granted it was “only” recurring pain in my stomach, it was chronic, not really worsening in pain. I kind of figured I was overdoing it on the Advil. Then one night the BF and I were sharing a banana split and on my second bite I keeled over in the most intense pain. We drove to the ER and I got down on my knees and thrust my stomach into the edge of the seat of the plastic chair- it was embarrassing as frick but it was the pressure on my stomach that relieved any pain. They gave me a shot of morphine and I barfed all over the poor ultrasound tech. And she knew exactly what it was before she even saw the stones. The next morning the pain was gone and they figured one was stuck in the duct. Took it out that evening and to this day my body cannot make up its mind whether it wants to tolerate dairy or not- some days it constipates me, others I immediately get the trots. I definitely agree about going to the doctor to check it out, from my experience gall bladder issues manifest over a period of time but can also be mistaken as something as innocuous as simple stomach irritation from whatever....Let’s hope that’s all it is with you!!! Feel better!

thank you so much!

When I had gallstones, I had severe chest pain that radiated to my back at times. The pain woke me from sleep multiple times and I have a high pain tolerance. It took several ER trips before we figured it out. Three months later, I had it removed.

When I had gallstones, I had severe chest pain that radiated to my back at times. The pain woke me from sleep multiple times and I have a high pain tolerance. It took several ER trips before we figured it out. Three months later, I had it removed.

thank you, everybody's so helpful on BP!

Mine happened after eating fatty food. I ate a single serve bag of Cheetos and had acute excruciating pain in my abdominals that made me bow over and want to scream (I wasn’t even obese then either). I had to have my sil come get me from work and take me to the ER. The next day I had my gallbladder out. it’s been 17 years, but that was the last time I had a Cheeto and will never touch those things again. Lol

My attacks were bad. I would have severe abdomnal pain. The last attack before removal was so bad it brought me to the ground and I could not even get up for close to 30 minutes. Thats when we went to the hospital..

I had my gallbladder attacks the year after my lapband was placed. I initially thought I had slipped or something scary like that. The pain was severe to where I wasn't able to stand and walk upright. I crawled. Ended up calling 911 thinking I was dying, having a heart attack or something. Flash forward to 3 fire trucks in my front yard, 7 or 8 firemen standing in my living room with me unable to breath deeply or sit completely upright trying to hold my shirt up so the one guy could put the stickies on my bare chest (no bra) while the other 7 stood there an watched. I was in so much pain that I didn't give a damn. A week later my gall bladder was removed.

It's all humorous to me now but I really thought I was dying at the time. The pain radiates from your stomach up your shoulder and down your back. So glad that bugger is gone, also glad my torture band was removed too (this year)

Mine always felt like back pain.

Have you been to your dr sorry missed that bit, but i made the same post thinking it was my gall bladder. Mine was not. so best to get checked. I was also 'running' to the bathroom....

Edited by dreamingsmall

Have you been to your dr sorry missed that bit, but i made the same post thinking it was my gall bladder. Mine was not. so best to get checked. I was also 'running' to the bathroom....

yes I went but it wasn't, I have my endoscopy on the 6th and my doctor is going to look for problems there... ugh!

3 hours ago, angyplus5 said:

yes I went but it wasn't, I have my endoscopy on the 6th and my doctor is going to look for problems there... ugh!

I'm sorry to hear that. But also glad you've been. Hope your OK.