Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 3 month clock started on Monday of this week and I wish I could feel some joy. Instead, I feel some despair because it seems like a long time. I am fortunate enough that my insurance does not have a weight loss requirement but I need 3 sessions of nutrition counselling. I was really hoping that the entire affair would be much faster but I understand the reasoning for it. The problem is that I am caught in a stuck cycle. I suffer from depression and anxiety, I eat, gain weight, and then my body hurts more so I eat again. I am hoping that this surgery will break the cycle so I can get healthy. I miss riding my bicycle and being able to hike. I miss a lot .....

I know how you feel, I had a three month wait till my surgery on November 21st and it seemed like it would never come, next week I go for my pre op with the surgeon and it isn't long now, time seems to be flying by at the moment, hang in there it will go faster than you think.

My insurance requires 6 mos of monthly dietitian visits, psych visit and exercise plan so I can relate. Maybe try just getting through one day at a time and visualize how awesome you’re gonna look in 4 mos. 😊 hang in there!

Edited by MN_Meg770
Misspelling

Everyone I know, myself included, had a 6 month wait, so 3 is awesome! It will be here before you know it.

My 3 month clock started on Monday of this week and I wish I could feel some joy. Instead, I feel some despair because it seems like a long time. I am fortunate enough that my insurance does not have a weight loss requirement but I need 3 sessions of nutrition counselling. I was really hoping that the entire affair would be much faster but I understand the reasoning for it. The problem is that I am caught in a stuck cycle. I suffer from depression and anxiety, I eat, gain weight, and then my body hurts more so I eat again. I am hoping that this surgery will break the cycle so I can get healthy. I miss riding my bicycle and being able to hike. I miss a lot .....

It could be worse. Be glad it's just a 3 month wait. Time will fly by. My therapist did a terrible and inaccurate psych evaluation and my insurance company denied the surgery. Now I am starting the appeal process. I wish I just had to wait 3 months.

Best wishes!

Dotty Cole

I was annoyed that my insurance required 4 month waiting with supervised dieting and a whole bunch of other docs I had to visit.

But, as I went through the docs, each one I visited was on board with my decision. The endochronoligist, pulminary, primary care, etc. Gave me great confidence to hear that their patients have had it done and were actually able to get off meds!

I also ised the 3 months to practice sipping, not eating 30 min before and 30 after meals.

So use the time wisely to increase your chance of success, it will be here quick.

46 minutes ago, Killian said:

I was annoyed that my insurance required 4 month waiting with supervised dieting and a whole bunch of other docs I had to visit.

But, as I went through the docs, each one I visited was on board with my decision. The endochronoligist, pulminary, primary care, etc. Gave me great confidence to hear that their patients have had it done and were actually able to get off meds!

I also ised the 3 months to practice sipping, not eating 30 min before and 30 after meals.

So use the time wisely to increase your chance of success, it will be here quick.

Thanks, Killian. Yes, I am going to use this time wisely. Anyway, I have to get my A1C <= 8%. To do this I am just going to begin the process of eating less carbs, more Protein, and fewer calories. I am kinda an expert in dieting by now because I know what I need to do - I just was not doing it. Now I have an absolute reason to do it other than health and body image or some other abstract reason. I have a concrete reason: blood sugar under control.

This is my first time on this site, and I love the amount of information you guys share. Last night I had my consultation visit with my doctor and was not sure if I would qualify for surgery. After getting weighed and I saw my BMI, he said I qualify!
I, too, have a 3 month process before surgery. I will need to see a nutritionist 3 times, have an endoscopy done (I have a history of ulcers), and a psych evaluation. Also, I am required to exercise at the gym a minimum of 3 times a week for 12 weeks
My question is: Is this standard? Going to the gym and having a psych evaluation?
Thank you!

This is my first time on this site, and I love the amount of information you guys share. Last night I had my consultation visit with my doctor and was not sure if I would qualify for surgery. After getting weighed and I saw my BMI, he said I qualify!
I, too, have a 3 month process before surgery. I will need to see a nutritionist 3 times, have an endoscopy done (I have a history of ulcers), and a psych evaluation. Also, I am required to exercise at the gym a minimum of 3 times a week for 12 weeks
My question is: Is this standard? Going to the gym and having a psych evaluation?
Thank you!

For me I had a 2 week pre op diet and ct scan and blood tests for fatty liver that’s it.

I had to do 6 months with nutrition appts once a month, psych evaluation, endoscopy, several pre-op classes. I wasn't given a set amount of time at the gym but I was spending a lot of time in the pool already. It was more about losing the required amount before surgery. Then, I just had a one week pre-op diet of two shakes and one 300-400 calorie meal.

The grass isn't always more green on the other side. Enjoy eating food normally while you can. I wasn't suppose to have my sleeve until the end of January but my insurance bumped it up to Oct.16 I wasn't prepared mentally for the operation but I'm glad it's done and over with. I feel like a baby who is learning to eat solids for the first time lol I was overweight yes, but I did take for granted what it was like to savor food and eat until I felt full. I'm glad I had the surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat, but don't see your 3 month wait as a bad thing. Take advantage of it and get yourself ready [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I would say the wait time really depends on insurance or self-pay. I am certain that if you can afford the surgery out of pocket, they will whisk you right in. I am really humbled by @KarenOR having to wait 6 months. I don't think you'll hear me complain any longer about three.

You are getting off easy -- I have 6 months nutrition classes, 3 surgeon appts, lab tests, psych, stress test & echo, sleep study x 2, xray/sonogram/bariumCTscan (all in one day), endoscopy, pre-surg PCP exam. I feel like I am forgetting something...

I remember! Bariatric Optimization Program with PT (BOP) -- optional, before and after surgery.

Edited by Apple203

@Apple203 Nothing about this process is easy! It presents some of the same challenges for some people and different challenges for others. My challenges relate to my disability and its related co-morbidities. The only thing different is that my wait time will be less

On 10/26/2017 at 8:00 AM, BlackCatMatt said:

Thanks, Killian. Yes, I am going to use this time wisely. Anyway, I have to get my A1C <= 8%. To do this I am just going to begin the process of eating less carbs, more Protein, and fewer calories. I am kinda an expert in dieting by now because I know what I need to do - I just was not doing it. Now I have an absolute reason to do it other than health and body image or some other abstract reason. I have a concrete reason: blood sugar under control.

I too have to get my A1c down - ugh...going to be a challenge for sure. All the Halloween candy around at work isn’t helping.