Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG!!! Totally Gross!!

Ok, people i am 15 days post op and i totally had a gross feeling this AM. I have learned that there is a reason why you must eat slow. I haven't changed that behavior totally but now i must. My shreded chicken got stuck and nothing i did could make it go down, and 10 mins later it all came up. Sooooo gross!!! It was like barfing but i guess thats what they call sliming. I was on my way out the door for work, and decided to come back in and wait it out. Good thing I did, because that would not have been bad at work or at my desk.

Grossed out in Hawaii...

Miriam:faint:

I am just 8 days post-op and saw the surgeon Monday to have my staples removed (3 days ago).

He said I could proceed from my Phase I diet on Tuesday, my 9th day, (which was only sugar-free liquids, broths, coffee, Protein shakes, etc) onto Phase II, pureed foods only, for one month--but my next appointment isn't until November 16th, so I'll be on this until then.

I'm eating 1/4 cup for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner and taking in about 1/4 teaspoon of that at a time. (Sometimes I can't even finish the 1/4 cup).

So color me surprised that your surgeon allows you to eat shredded chicken at 15 days post op! (I'm allowed to have chicken baby food--yummmeee).

My advice is just what you've already told yourself--slow down, slow down, slow down, and chew chew chew!

Good luck, buddy...

Sounds like you had your first PB. Sliming happens en route to a PB. Did you hit a stage where you were salivating uncontrollably? Welcome to sliming. :)

It gets grosser. More gross? Anyway. "Slime" is very viscuous stuff. You know how if you pour something very viscuous into something not so viscuous, it will stay separate? Yeah. PB slime into a toilet, and it stays its own little PB "Water slide" from the top of the Water to the bottom of the bowl.

:)

Yeah, I've had that stuck feeling a few times. I'm almost a month post-op, but I haven't slimed or PB'd yet. There's another thread on here that talks about drinking pineapple juice when you get that stuck feeling. Apparently there's something in it that helps dissolve/break down the food and help it pass. Here's the link:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/something-all-bandsters-need-must-have-41694/

Sounds like you had your first PB. Sliming happens en route to a PB. Did you hit a stage where you were salivating uncontrollably? Welcome to sliming. :)

It gets grosser. More gross? Anyway. "Slime" is very viscuous stuff. You know how if you pour something very viscuous into something not so viscuous, it will stay separate? Yeah. PB slime into a toilet, and it stays its own little PB "Water slide" from the top of the Water to the bottom of the bowl.

LOL I'm laughing my butt off, cause that is so true!

I've had this happen a couple times, while at the table waiting for it to go down or come up. Sometimes it clears because it was just too big of a bite. My family looks at me with so much concern! And they ask questions - "Are you okay? Can I do anything? What's wrong? Was it the chicken, the peppers...etc" I know they're trying to help, but I CAN'T TALK RIGHT NOW!

Sounds like you had your first PB. Sliming happens en route to a PB. Did you hit a stage where you were salivating uncontrollably? Welcome to sliming. :cool:

:rolleyes:

That's it... I have GOT to get a life... :faint:

I am entirely too interested in the vivid descriptions of a complete stranger's vomit. Someone stop me before I start taking notes....

Sounds like you had your first PB. Sliming happens en route to a PB. Did you hit a stage where you were salivating uncontrollably? Welcome to sliming. :eek:

OMG!! That's just... ew.

Ok, do I really want to go through this? lol, j/k - but the visual. :tired

:mad:

That has to be the most graphic, disturbing and INFORMATIVE description I've heard given of a PB/sliming. I didn't know how to describe it to the nutritionist when I went to my consult, but now I can when I go back for my nutrition class. LOL Seriously, thank you. It's good to know what CAN happen, and now that I have that image burned into my brain, I'll remember it every time I go to take a bite and I'll be thinking, "chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew..." LOL I'm seriously not being a smartass - this was interesting.

I've been in a restaurant several times with my Mom and after the first three bites I feel a PB coming on...I would just excuse myself and go quickly to the restroom. She was so concerned the first time and saying "Do we need to go? Are you okay?" and I just looked at her and smiled and said "Never better...now that it's out of the way I can eat my meal!" After that, she just took it in stride if I had one of those start of the meal incidents. She knows when I get back from the restroom I'll be just FINE.

I'm new .... I'm on day 3 of pre-op diet. Could someone explain to me what PB & sliming is? Are they one in the same?

Surgery date 11/1/07

Hi:

Pb'ing is productive burping - something comes up. Sliming is when something gets a bit stuck and your body creates this "special saliva" that's about ten times thicker than normal saliva. When you try to spit it out it comes out in a string about a foot long. It's more slimey than normal saliva, so I'm guessing that's where it got the name. It is so gross, and it's very painful too. Actually though, it kind of makes the pain go away when it's all done.

I think it's what the weight loss/lap band devil does to make you eat slow, small bites, small quantities.

I've heard that it happens to everyone. I read about it here on the forum before it happened, so I wasn't surprised when it happened.

Good luck - small slow bites of small quantities keeps the slimey's away.

Take care.

I liken both Sliming and PBing to a toilet backing up. You flush and say "Go down please!" and then you look and you see the Water level rising slowly towards the rim. Oh oh. I have also learned a lesson that when something gets stuck, do NOT try to flush it through with a drink of something. That's just adding content to the backup....unfortunately, a sip of something doesn't have the same effect as draino....if you do try to "wash" it down, take only the SMALLEST sip. The drain physics of the lapband are NOT the same as the drain physics of the normal esophagus. Remember that!

Holiwood,

I’m right there with ya! Thanks for asking..

Sue Magoo,

Thanks for the explanations; although I did have to step away to catch my breath, lol.

I have my first seminar tomorrow.

E