Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning My Journey...

So, today begins my 6 month journey to getting a gastric sleeve.I had my consult with the surgeon today. That went well. I found out everything that is required of me,and it's a lot! One of the things I have to do is have an endoscopy. Did anyone else have to do this? Is it painful? Another thing I have to do is a barium swallow test. Whats that like? If anyone can give me an idea of what to expect that would be awesome!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Congratulations! I had my consult 9/5/17 and endoscopy 10/3/17. The process was painless. I had a slight sore throat for a few hours after the procedure.

Congratulations! I had my consult 9/5/17 and endoscopy 10/3/17. The process was painless. I had a slight sore throat for a few hours after the procedure.

Thanks for your reply. Did they put you under anesthesia?

Congrats on the beginning of your journey! I didn't have to do an endo but I did have the barium swallow test. basically, you just swallow some kinda nasty liquid and they X-ray you while its being swallowed. Then you have to drink some carbonated thing to expand your tummy, and they tell you not to burp, lol! You'll get through it :)

Aaaahhh... it seems like only yesterday that I was starting mine.... and now look, surgery’s tomorrow and a time I thought would never pass has passed so quickly (duh, looking back of course) but it is a good time for you to set your mind in gear - whether you actually diet and lose weight or not, whether you make life style changes or not - getting your mind wrapped around what you are about to do is a big enough job. You’ll have bouts of doubt, excitement, impatience and all that good stuff.
As to your question; I had an endoscopy and was put under. Not even a sore throat to report afterwards though they make sure you have someone to take you home afterwards so no Uber!
Do it earlier (but make sure you stay within the required time frame as some doctors or insurance carriers require it to be such and such a time before but not longer). I say do it earlier rather than later because if you do end up having H-pylori it’s a whole regimen you have to go through and you don’t want THAT to be the reason your surgery gets delayed.
Good luck and check in some time!

Congrats on the beginning of your journey! I didn't have to do an endo but I did have the barium swallow test. basically, you just swallow some kinda nasty liquid and they X-ray you while its being swallowed. Then you have to drink some carbonated thing to expand your tummy, and they tell you not to burp, lol! You'll get through it [emoji4]

Thank you for your reply. I have to do both the barium swallow and endo. Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

My surgery is in 7 days - YIKES! :o Hard to believe now that I'm here, but I've been on a 6 month journey to get here, that followed a 2 years of "Do I or Don't I" waffling back and forth. Yes, I had to do both of those tests. I think basically because I have a Hiatial Hernia though and my Dr was concerned that gastric sleeve wouldn't be the best for me. You sleep through the Endoscopy, but will have a sore throat for a day or 2. The Barium Swallow is trying to drink the IV Liquid while laying down without burping! Yep - lay down, drink and don't burp! :blink: Oh well, whatever. Anyway.....welcome to the journey. Blessings.

Endoscopy was nothing to worry about, they put you out - mine was with propofol and you wake up easy with that - mouth will be dry as cotton but that's about it.

I did have h. Pylori and taking the vile tasting antibiotics - tip - take them with a big gulp of 2% milk, chase with more milk.

I think I stressed more about the pysch eval and it was worry for nothing too. You will be fine.

Use the time to think about your relationship with food, quit all soda, practice not drinking with meals - this one is a little tough, figure out how to cope with stress/emotions without using food, start walking if you are able. Good luck.

My surgery is in 7 days - YIKES! [emoji33] Hard to believe now that I'm here, but I've been on a 6 month journey to get here, that followed a 2 years of "Do I or Don't I" waffling back and forth. Yes, I had to do both of those tests. I think basically because I have a Hiatial Hernia though and my Dr was concerned that gastric sleeve wouldn't be the best for me. You sleep through the Endoscopy, but will have a sore throat for a day or 2. The Barium Swallow is trying to drink the IV Liquid while laying down without burping! Yep - lay down, drink and don't burp! :blink: Oh well, whatever. Anyway.....welcome to the journey. Blessings.

Thank you for your reply . You've helped to put my mind at ease.Good luck to you! I hope your surgery and recovery go well!