Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im feeling like a failure...already

Hi GB family. I need some support today as im feeling super discouraged.

As I browse through the message boards here, I see so many people who are currently in or past my current situation (18 days post op) and seem to be doing miles better than I feel I am. ☹

Like...why have i only lost 10lbs?!! I am disgusted with myself when i see others having lost 30lbs the 1st month or 80lbs 3 months out. I think to myself, "great...just another failed attempt to lose weight.' What if I never lose 80lbs (i have ~130lbs to lose)? Im so afraid of failing again, especially since I've taken such a drastic route.

Like...why do I feel hungry, particularly in the mornings? I thought we werent really supposed to feel hungry anymore! So many threads, folks are barely able to eat, and when they do, theyre barely able to eat 2-4oz, when here i am not having a problem eating that amount regularly. Whats wrong with me??

Like...am i the only one this ISNT going to work for??

I just feel really depressed, discouraged, and frustrated.

Any thoughts? Thank u in advance for taking the time to respond.

Don't beat yourself up. Right after surgery, your body is in a major heal mode. Healing is the most important objective at 18 days post-op. During your hospital stay your body was pumped full of fluids. So generally when you leave the hospital you actually weighed more than when you entered by several pounds. So the first few days after surgery, you must lose that additional weight first. After surgery I lost my hunger and it was not difficult to lose the weight when hunger was not constantly continually gnawing at my bones. But the loss of hunger does not really kick in until you transition to solid foods. For my surgeon directions, the first 4 weeks I was restricted to full liquids, then the next 4 to pureed foods and it wasn't until week 9 that I was permitted solid foods. So in the beginning you may experience false hunger pains. When you chew food, your body releases certain chemicals that help with the digestive process. So for many, the hunger pains are tied to the inability to satisfy their need to chew foods. So the best advise I can give you is follow your surgeon's guidelines for your daily Protein, Vitamin and Fluid requirements and follow your surgeon's guidelines for meal volume size and composition. And don't get stressed out. It is way too early.

First thing I have to say is don't get discouraged. The second thing is gastric sleeve is not a magic bullet to loosing weight, it is a tool. I like you, have no issues drinking Water or anything, I was told that will come as I take on solid foods.

The body is an amazing thing some persons heal and react differently under the same circumstances. What we all share in common is the fact that we can only take on so much food now and our surgery will let us know when we stepped over the line.

As far as judging your success against others is a doomed proposition. You don't know what the other person is truly going to get the results they are seeing. I have lost a lot of weight but I actually lost 40Lbs prior to surgery because I changed my eating habits, not because of the surgery. I have only lost 12lbs post surgery.

You also have to remember that 1 pound of fat takes about 3600 calories to burn. So if you are two weeks out you are probably at a 1500k deficiency per day so you should lose about a pound every three days. So lets do the math 18 days divided by 3 equals 6 so by that formula you should have only lost 6 lbs, so you are doing great and keep it up!

You are doing fine. Make sure you are getting in your Fluid and Protein. Make sure you are doing some exercise - walking until you are cleared for more strenuous activity. As long as you follow your plan, the weight will come off.

I lost 37 pounds the first month and 9 the next. It fluctuated month to month. Overall in 12 months I've lost 129 pounds (143 total with my pre-op weight loss)

I can honestly say...you and I feel the exact same way..gotta keep pushing fwd..the feelings are part and parcel of going through a surgery..it upsets the emotional aspect....

Keep pushing fwd...you will be happy at times.. and not at others...thisis a journey..and you just took off..

cheers

Thank u all for responding! I really needed the encouragement and others' perspectives today. @MrEdwards - it particularly feels nice to know im not alone in my thoughts, that someone else is feeling the same way right now. As u all said, i just gotta continue to follow the plan and do my part. Things will happen as they should if i do what im supposed to do. Even when the darn scale doesnt move!! [emoji6]

Thanks again for ur support today guys! Good luck with ur continued journeys, as well. [emoji4]

Hello Amburmist

Please don't be discourage. Please be aware that we are all different and some people lose faster then others. Comparing yourself to others is tourtuing yourself. Give it one day at a time. May sure that you stick with what the nutritionist and doctors recommend. Also avoid foods that are not healthy as possible. Drink lots of fluids and be positive. You will get there. Sometimes your body is slow in beginning and then all of a sudden you start losing the weight. Stay focus and being very positive is important. Don't overthink to much. Your nutritionist can always help you with planning your meals and they can tell you how many calories to consume a day so you can properly be on track. Also writing down everything you eat and give you a visual look to what you are consuming daily. 😊

It's hard the first week (and I'm sure beyond)- I feel you! People lose at different rates, no one person will be the same. Take the victory- you've lost! I know it is difficult- I have had doubts the past week, but I keep pushing along because that's what is going to get the weight off me!

Also, make sure you are taking in enough Protein and walking! I don't know what your surgeon wants, but mine has instructed us to sip on 8oz of high protein (like premier or isopure) between meals and then switch to Water. That way, we are getting in the proper amount of protein a day.

I hope that helps! You can do it!

Did u have the sleeve or RNY? Maybe looking at different experiences. 10 pounds is a good start. RNY works!! Follow the eating plan and you'll lose. There is no way you won't lose weight if following the eating plan! It's an emotional time right after surgery but it gets easier. Just take this opportunity on! I don't remember feeling hungry but I would feel empty and need to eat something. If that is what you're feeling that's normal as your body still needs liquids and Vitamins to heal and live - the first 2 weeks....u need to have something in your system.

First off take a”chill pill”, people with higher overweight loose pounds quicker.. I had lost 160 lbs in 6 months.. your case might be different since your BMI is lower.. about you feeling hungry all times, thats head hunger... drink your liquids and you will realize that you are not hungry.. you are thirsty.. at the beginning your mind will play too many trick on you.. you must stay strong, never compare your progress with other because you will get frustrated.. Also keep in mind that other probably include exercise in their routine.. don’t give up. And as someone above mentioned, do not bit yourself..

Ok, ok guys...I hear u! I'll try and calm down, take a 'chill pill', and focus on MY journey's requirements. It's just hard sometimes when u see others following the same path and their numbers are so much higher. I just start wondering if I'm doing things wrong, u know? *sigh*

But...I shall just keep moving forward, continue following the rules, try to keep a positive attitude.

Thanks for the pep talk u all.[emoji4] I needed it!
@blondie66 - I had the RNY.

@Amburmist Comparison is the thief of satisfaction. ((hugs)) It's a b***h, really. I watched my 600lb life and that's kinda sorta what made me really get off the pot and do something about my "growing" situation. (I was gaining like nobody's beeswax.) And for the longest time, I was eating like a couple of Protein Drinks and 2 spinach leaves and not losing. I was like "what the eff?" How are these people eating Big Macs and Krispy Kremes and still managing to lose 15-25lbs a month? I was sooo mad, it made me go to the doc.

I'm still not tearing up the streets with my losses, but they have been slow and relatively steady. LOL, I have pretty much quit watching M6PL, cuz I don't want to break my tv by throwing a chair into it, and it's even harder not to compare myself to the fabulous successes here on the boards, but every day you work your plan, is a day closer to your personal success story.

Hang loose Mother Goose!

[mention=326905]Amburmist[/mention] Comparison is the thief of satisfaction. ((hugs)) It's a b***h, really. I watched my 600lb life and that's kinda sorta what made me really get off the pot and do something about my "growing" situation. (I was gaining like nobody's beeswax.) And for the longest time, I was eating like a couple of Protein drinks and 2 spinach leaves and not losing. I was like "what the eff?" How are these people eating Big Macs and Krispy Kremes and still managing to lose 15-25lbs a month? I was sooo mad, it made me go to the doc.
I'm still not tearing up the streets with my losses, but they have been slow and relatively steady. LOL, I have pretty much quit watching M6PL, cuz I don't want to break my tv by throwing a chair into it, and it's even harder not to compare myself to the fabulous successes here on the boards, but every day you work your plan, is a day closer to your personal success story.
Hang loose Mother Goose!

Thank u for ur response! So, what did the doc end up telling u when u went in to discuss ur frustrations? Are u still losing steadily?

Hello

I think that everyone loses weight differently. I have a friend who had the Surgury and she didn't lose to much at beginning but within a year she started dropping weight and did very well. Some people lose fast in beginning and some steady. Don't worry you will be ok. What exactly r you eating in a day?

Hello
I think that everyone loses weight differently. I have a friend who had the Surgury and she didn't lose to much at beginning but within a year she started dropping weight and did very well. Some people lose fast in beginning and some steady. Don't worry you will be ok. What exactly r you eating in a day?

Typically, ill have a Protein Shake for Breakfast, then 4oz of a Protein at lunch, and then 4oz of protein at dinner, and sometimes a yogurt or another protein shake for a snack at some point in the day. I'm not allowed to eat beef, pork, grains (rice, bread, Pasta, potatoes, etc), or raw veggies yet, so i feel pretty limited on what i can have and what i will have. I have probably 8-10 food items in rotation (tuna, canned veg, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, protein shake, string cheese...to name a few). I really dont know what else to eat. My calorie intake has been about 700-800/day (im pulling back to 600 max, per my NUT) and protein intake about 80-120g/day (im pulling back to 80 max, per my NUT). My exercise is every other day at this point, 30 min of fast cardio.

In ur opinion, what could i be eating or doing better? What should i stop eating or doing? Any advice u have based on what has worked for u or ur friend would be awesome!