Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Timeline for Revision process?

For those that have had revision surgery, what did the timeline look like for you - from reaching out to your Bariatric program to surgery?

I have Kaiser insurance and reached out to my bariatrics program last week. I had my band removed last year by their doctors, but no other tool placed. On my call, They said they would check if I needed to start at the beginning of their program or not. Then they got back to me with a date for a phone appointment with the doctor that took out my band last year.

I trying to wrap my head around when I may be scheduled for the surgery and what they'll make me do prior to surgery.

I made contact with my surgeons office and my first consult was 3/9/17. My approval came through in July and I was originally scheduled for surgery 7/18 but had to push back due to moving. Had my surgery on 8/8/17.

From 3/9 until request for approval in the beginning of July I had 4 appointments with the surgeon with weigh ins, 3 NUT visits (which I didn’t realize I needed until a month before approval so squeezed them in a month. A Whole host of tests as required by my surgeon. And then I was approved within days of it being submitted.

I have Aetna pos II, my revision was band to SIPS DS all at the same time.

Good luck

I had band to bypass revision surgery in March 2016. I had my band removed in December 2015. My insurance required a 90 day timeframe. It was as the previous person said - had to go through all the same testing as the first time around. But it was well worth it!

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had Lapband revision with Gastric bypass on 9/5/17. Decided with my Dr. that it was the best course to take in April. I wanted to wait until after the summer, as our daughter was graduating high school and then college late August. Did 90 day program with Dr. & Nutritionist, then they submitted to insurance after (BCBS Fed.) Did all the tests (labs, CXR, EKG, ECHO per my Cardiologist) on specific timeline. Probably about a month or close to it before I found out that I was approved. We set my surgery date before beginning 90 day program. Was anxious to hear if I was getting approval from insurance, and I really think my calling customer service with them helped expedite the process. I also spoke to the manager at my Dr.s office. Hope this helps & not TMI [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using BariatricPal mobile app

I am having band revision to gastric bypass on 11/07, removing the band and hopefully doing the bypass all in one surgery. I have BC/BS. I still had to go through nutrition classes, have cardiology clearance and have an upper GI done this go around, but did not have to go through psychiatric testing or the 6 months of weigh ins that I had to go through the first go around. Since your band was removed so long ago though, it's a possibility that your insurance will require you go through everything again. I know the bariatric program I am in said most of their requirements have to have been completed in the last year.

I'm in the process of. Started sept 15, I have a band still and am doing it all in one surgery. I had complete a bunch of tests echo, endo, ultrasounds,xrays barium swallow. And more and labs , 1 nutrtion, 1 psy and a medical diet plan. I also need to lise 20% of my body weight. I go for a follow up October 27. If I completed everything I can get a surgery date, if not I go every 2or 3 weeks till I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm in the process of. Started sept 15, I have a band still and am doing it all in one surgery. I had complete a bunch of tests echo, endo, ultrasounds,xrays barium swallow. And more and labs , 1 nutrtion, 1 psy and a medical diet plan. I also need to lise 20% of my body weight. I go for a follow up October 27. If I completed everything I can get a surgery date, if not I go every 2or 3 weeks till I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using BariatricPal mobile app

Hope your follow up goes great today and you're approved!!!

I have kaiser and I had my lap band removed in 2014 at the end of 2014 I attempted to go through the process of getting a revision but wasnt ready personally for myself and fell off on trying to lose weight and keep up with appointments. In June 2017 I decided I was finally ready to try this again, but this time I had gained all my weight back prior to having lap band and plus some.. I had even gained the weight back that I was asked to lose the first go around so I was concerned about what they would tell me. They do make you go through the whole process like your having WLS for the first time and the surgeon I saw wanted me to lose a good amount of weight before they would consider doing it, I was asked to lose 30 lbs by one surgeon and 35 lbs by another.. well I worked my butt off and managed to get 42 lbs off before my surgery that I had this last Monday oct 23rd I did a revision to Gastric Bypass, it took me a little over 3 months to lose that weight just by following their diet plan and exercising, If you stay dedicated you can accomplish it pretty fast! I found that doing more then one class in a day helped with getting the required classes done a lot easier as well as scheduling to see the doctors or whatever else appointments you have required to do so you don’t have to keep going back and forth.. Good Luck sweetie!

On 10/27/2017 at 0:59 PM, RubioGirl707 said:

I have kaiser and I had my lap band removed in 2014 at the end of 2014 I attempted to go through the process of getting a revision but wasnt ready personally for myself and fell off on trying to lose weight and keep up with appointments. In June 2017 I decided I was finally ready to try this again, but this time I had gained all my weight back prior to having lap band and plus some.. I had even gained the weight back that I was asked to lose the first go around so I was concerned about what they would tell me. They do make you go through the whole process like your having WLS for the first time and the surgeon I saw wanted me to lose a good amount of weight before they would consider doing it, I was asked to lose 30 lbs by one surgeon and 35 lbs by another.. well I worked my butt off and managed to get 42 lbs off before my surgery that I had this last Monday oct 23rd I did a revision to Gastric Bypass, it took me a little over 3 months to lose that weight just by following their diet plan and exercising, If you stay dedicated you can accomplish it pretty fast! I found that doing more then one class in a day helped with getting the required classes done a lot easier as well as scheduling to see the doctors or whatever else appointments you have required to do so you don’t have to keep going back and forth.. Good Luck sweetie!

Congratulations! On being able to lose the required amount and on your surgery. 1 week from tomorrow, I will be sitting on the loser's bench with you. :)