Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 years post sleeve

Hi all, I'd like to wish all of you who've recently had the surgery congrats to a new way of healthy living and those thinking about it, go for it. The only regret 7 yrs later, I wish I would have done it sooner.

I was at 210 when I finally said enough because I had spent hundreds of dollars on every weight loss program you can imagine. I knew I could lose the weight but it was keeping it off, my weight was up down a yo-yo way of life over years. I wasn't one who struggled with weight my whole life, my problems began after I had children. My children were pretty much grown when I realized I was doing everything for everyone else but me! So I researched various procedures which at the time were only lap Band or by-pass. I also knew I couldn't afford the cost for a procedure here in the US so I started researching Canada, Mexico, and Europe. I found Mexico to be the most cost effective and if something happened it would be a quick drive back into the states. So yes I had my procedure done in Mexico and I did qualify because the Dr.'s their believe in preventative health care, they don't want you to be 100+ lbs over weight with an array of health problems. Their philosophy is get ahead of it before you weigh 300 to 400 lbs which was the path I was headed. Even if you are in that weight range they do perform the procedure with lots of pre and post care treatment programs.

When I got there I had a consultation with the Dr. to go over my lab test, ex rays, etc. He thought I was a good candidate for the sleeve rather then the lap band I had registered for. I liked it because I wouldn't have to hassle with fills or potentially needing to move the port. When I had my procedure I was 198 and 18 months later I was 128. I'm 5'4" and today I weigh 135. I typically teeter between 135 to 145 but when I hit that 10+ ceiling I go back to the liquid diet/soft food

My experience has been overall positive and only regret I hadn't done it sooner.

My sister and daughter both later had the procedure living healthy life styles and couldn't be happier. Most recent my friend had it done and I can't wait to support her through her journey.

I think the first year is your biggest adjustment with not just losing the weight but learning to adapt to your new life style.

Good luck all, I hope my story helps since I had the procedure done 7 years ago, most stories I read people are either getting ready or recently had the procedure.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using BariatricPal mobile app

What a treat, thanks for sharing!

I had the sleeve almost a year ago. I'm so happy to hear from someone who's had it so long and still maintaining almost all the weight loss. Congrats on your success. Do you still have a similar restriction to a year out or is it drastically different at this point?

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you SOOOO much for sharing [emoji173]️ My surgery date is in 2 days & I'm so nervous. Mainly, my doubt is "will this work long term?" I know it is really about putting in the work & commitment long term that determines how/if it works. I've tried so many diets and been overweight my whole life that I also worry that I'll be "the one" it doesn't work for. I've been so proud of myself for sticking to the preop diet (12 days of shakes & Soup for one meal/day and am finishing 1 of 2 all liquid days). I honestly wasn't sure I could. Each time I passed on a chance to cheat, I felt so strong. Do you have any tips for helping to adjust? I know it's a lot to ask but maybe something you learned the "hard way".... not that I hope you had to do that. I know me- I am one who learns from hard ways [emoji87]

- No idea what I'm doing but I'm here! :)

Thanks for sharing. I'm very interested in hearing from others who are long term sleeve patients and their successes (or failures)