Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cannot lose no matter how hard I try!!

Good morning. I'm at wits end. I tried googling and couldn't find anything.

I had my surgery in 2013. This month is actually my 4 year surgiversary. I lost 100lbs my first year. Actually, the first 6 months. I was still overweight but happy where I was. I held strong, generally around the same weight. A year after my weightloss stopped, I went on a diet and lost another 25lbs. It was easy as long as I was dedicated. This was 2015.

6/16 I had a baby. I put on 35lbs from my 100lb weight loss.

9/17 here I am. Only 10ish lbs down from last summer, 10 months pregnant. I have tried everything.. Cut out carbs and sugar, doing cardio, Protein, everything. No matter how good I am, the most I lose is 6-7lbs.. and in the matter of 1 cheat, I gain it all back!!

If I sit n eat fast food and cakes and terrible stuff, I stay the same weight, don't gain a pound. I don't get it!!!!!!!

i know about the pouch reset but it really isn't the amount of food I'm eating I'm sure about that.

anyone been here? Any help?

The simple answer to this from an outsider's perspective and pre-surgery is, don't cheat. Stop the cheating. Go back to the basics of your post op diet: Protein first, low carb veggies and if there's room then high Fiber, low glycemic fruits, lower glycemic carbs like quinoa and brown rice in very limited amounts. Don't drink 30 minutes before or 45 minutes after meals. Weigh and measure everything so that you are only getting your 3oz of lean/low fat protein per meal. Eat slowly, take small bites, chew to smithereens, practice mindful eating. And even when that carb monster grabs you by the throat, resist, resist, resist. Do your exercise faithfully.

Congrats on the new baby and the weight loss!!!

Welcome to your new set point! It sounds like you're still 75lbs down from your surgery weight, so you are still golden.

You CAN keep fighting, or you can work to just maintain. Pregnancies just DO this to everyone, and I hate to see you tear your hair out at that 25lbs, when it's (probably) really just an aesthetic problem for you.

If you wanna fight.. that's fine. But the fight has to be permanent. The changes you make to lose the weight have to remain to maintain those losses. (No more unsustainable liquid or crash diets!)

Not knowing what you are doing now (calories, Protein, carbs, exercise).. don't know what to suggest.

If you low carb, then eat carbs. Your liver gains glycogen/water weight and you can go up 2-10 pounds over a weekend just eating carbs.

If you are steadying intaking carbs, then you weight will remain steady.

The weight gain after eating carbs following a low carb diet is not true fat gain, at least not initially.

You just have to make a lifestyle change, it has to be a lifestyle not a diet. You don't cheat with a lifestyle change. It is hard for everyone. You can get a burger without the bun at a fast food resturant, make them wrap it in lettuce. Fries are my weekness, there is no low carb substitute, but you just have to decided if fries are worth being fat.

Good luck!

OutsideMatchesinside,

I am not trying to get you to fall off the wagon but...french fries can be made with Sweet Potatoes, Turnips ETC. We all have to live on our WL journies. Just try to substitute with better for you ingredients. Sometimes we just have got to do it.

1 minute ago, shedo82773 said:

OutsideMatchesinside,

I am not trying to get you to fall off the wagon but...french fries can be made with Sweet Potatoes, Turnips ETC. We all have to live on our WL journies. Just try to substitute with better for you ingredients. Sometimes we just have got to do it.

yeshello, Sometimes we have to shake up our body!! I have heard from lots of people that they will carb up one day and then go back to Protein etc. Check it out, it might be just what you need to do. Try to get all of your fluids in and as was said above good info. Don't get discouraged. You can do this, you know why I can say this? Because you have already proved you can!! KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!

10 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

OutsideMatchesinside,

If you drink too soon it can make your food go thru your stomach too fast. Also, if I drink too soon it hurts. Which in turn will make you get hungry sooner. Waiting can be a win win!! There is a video on UTUBE that explains it better. He uses applesauce to demonstrate how fast it leaves our pouch. Very interesting also. Maybe someone can remember where it is at because I sure can't. LOL

I am so worried about this. I am currently almost 26 weeks pregnant and up almost 15 pounds. I don't think you should beat yourself up over it. Sometimes, worrying about it makes it so we can't lose the weight. I have been stressing about my weight gain so much because I have gained so much just in the past 6 weeks. So, you know the basics and it sounds like you have tried it. Are you drinking enough Water? What is your exercise program? Do you do cardio and weights? That was the magic combo for me. Before pregnancy, I was doing zumba once a week, running 5 days a week (anywhere from 3 to 12 miles), yoga once a week, and weight training 2 to 3 times a week. I lost 180 pounds my first year after surgery. The 2nd year, I lost NOTHING, I actually gained 10 pounds of muscle, but I went down 3 dress sizes. Make sure you are getting enough carbs to handle what your body is doing. When I first started training for a half marathon, I was not eating enough food so my body was holding on to everything. I had to up my calories and carbs. I actually did a metabolic test to see how many calories my body needs. My body burns 1350 calories just breathing and basic functioning. Before I had the test done, I was only eating about 1000 to 1200 calories a day. I upped it to 1600 to 1800 (over 2000 on long race days) and boom! weight adjusted.

3 hours ago, shedo82773 said:

OutsideMatchesinside,

I have made them with Jicama and turnips, it isn't the same. I have been a low carber off and on for 17 years. I hate sweet potatoes and they aren't low carb.

At this point I can have 5 fries and stop. I'm not really actively trying to lose at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion though. IMO there is a substitution for everything, but french fries.

I love waffle fries. ....

Well.. I dunno if I still love waffle fries, but I used to! Lol!

I don't miss them at all. If I do decide to have them I'm like you just a few is all I need. I do miss our Saturday Breakfast. Many Many years ago we always had fried potatoes with sausage gravy or Potatoes and fried eggs. I can NOT do eggs at all. I miss them. But I can truthfully say that most of that stuff makes me sick to my stomach so I don't even try them. I get stuck on something and eat it over and over, then I'm done with it. Weird for me. LOL

I think that I have tried most of the foods that I used to eat, including fries. Still love them, but I am content with 2 or 3 instead of a jumbo serving size. My vice has always been pizza. I ate it once per week, every week. I finally broke down and purchased the 9" cauliflower pizza crusts from Cali-flour foods. I loaded one up with veggies, a tiny bit of pesto, and a sprinkle of mozzarella. It was awesome! Could only eat 2 slices (4 ounces total), but it totaled only about 150 calories. Don't think that I will ever try the real thing again.

As for not losing weight or stalling....Every time that I hit a stall, I up my calorie count a bit. I am super active, so I probably need more calories than I consume anyway. My stall usually breaks within a week. If your stall is not breaking, you need to re-evaluate your diet. Are you snacking too much? Are the Snacks even healthy and lower calorie foods? Are you consuming too many calories? Are you drinking your calories?

I don't think that you will stall for long on 1,000 to 1,200 calories per day unless you are pretty close to your goal, although I have been known to be wrong before.

Track and weigh your foods. This will help you to know exactly how much you are eating. If you are drinking your calories, stop. Remember that this journey is all about making better choices. If you are eating pizza, burgers, etc., choose healthier options. Get baked chicken instead of fried chicken. You get the gist.