Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I stop eating so fast?

I am 5 months post op and have been realizing that now that I can eat anything, I have been eating faster, which is a bad thing even though I am eating the right portions.. Have you had this problem? Remedy?

No good advice here. I eat fast always have. I like my food super hot, so that is how it is.

If you are weighing and measuring your portions before you eat it shouldn't matter if you eat fast.

Although I am newly out of surgery, and you are way further along than me, I would urge you to slow down. Maybe make sure you get the 25 chews each bite. I have always just almost swallowed my food whole my entire life. I was the youngest of 3 boys, and had to eat fast or not get seconds. I contribute that to the huge amounts of food that I was able to eat in one sitting, and ultimately my problem with weight gain. Not saying you have that issue, but eating slowly does give your body a chance to register the amount of food you've eaten. You tend to be satiated with less food overall. Good luck!

I am 5 months post op and have been realizing that now that I can eat anything, I have been eating faster, which is a bad thing even though I am eating the right portions.. Have you had this problem? Remedy?

I'm curious, if we eat the same portions but eat fast, does it matter? I eat fast too and nothing bothers my stomach. I mean I don't inhale my food but it's no way the chewing I'm supposed to do. Anyone know why it matters that we chew so much if it doesn't bother our stomach and we aren't over eating?

25 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

I'm curious, if we eat the same portions but eat fast, does it matter?

It doesn't. At least it hasn't mattered to me.

Still that is the importance of measuring your food. It is insurance against over eating.

I downloaded an app that measures 30 seconds between bites --seriously, there is an app for literally everything!! "Slo Mow Eating Timer" is the one I got, but there are other choices. I eat super fast myself, and decided to tackle this while I wait for surgery.

Still that is the importance of measuring your food. It is insurance against over eating.

I'm very good about measuring. I'm glad to know it doesn't matter. I enjoy how I eat and having to chew till mush wasn't enjoyable (when I managed to do it).

I downloaded an app that measures 30 seconds between bites --seriously, there is an app for literally everything!! "Slo Mow Eating Timer" is the one I got, but there are other choices. I eat super fast myself, and decided to tackle this while I wait for surgery.

I tried before surgery and then after surgery didn't eat real food for 8 weeks and down the tubes all my "training" went! [emoji23]

I don't eat slow, I wouldn't say I inhale my food but I eat at a normal pace of most of those around me. I don't feel as though it has a negative effect on my as long as I'm measuring and watching my portions.

If I forget and eat too fast then it comes back up! I really wanted some bread yesterday, just a couple of bites- big mistake, I forgot that bread swells! Had to get rid of it!

Just had my 3 mos post-op. I have a hard time slowing down also, but since our stomach's the size of an egg, it's much better for us to take baby-sized bites over a 30 min period. For me, if I eat too fast, it all comes back up, which isn't fun. I use the ABC's method: put your food on your plate, cut it into baby-sized bites one at a time, then start w the letter A as you swallow your chewed up first bite. Form the A with the rest of your food. Afterwards, cut a bite off the A, then chew & swallow. Continue to form another ABC until you've reached your food limit and exhausted the ABC's. Playing w my food is new to me, but if that's what it takes to get me where I want to be, it's great for me. I actually use a baby spoon & fork to help me on this different but healthy weightloss journey. Getting 90 gms of Protein, drinking over 64 oz of fluids, and exercise are our daily goals, as well as being loving & forgiving of ourselves.

the only issue I've had with eating to fast when its already portioned is hiccups. which I'd probably get without surgery anyway. Sometimes at work I don't have time to eat so I will slam a greek yogurt.

Done it again today - ate too fast (not because I was hungry, I just forgot) and then had to make myself sick as it hot stuck and I felt so ill. I've ended up only getting 500 calories and 29 grams of Protein in by eating two Protein Bars.

I am 6 weeks post op and I eat fast too. I asked the nutritionist at my support group if it mattered how fast you eat (if you can handle it). It's just meant to slow you down so your stomach has a chance to catch up with your head. So if you measure your food, it shouldn't matter how fast you eat it.