Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have surgery tomorrow and I feel like vomiting I am so nervous. I think I'm more nervous of what to expect when I wake up. Some people say it's so painful and some say they just had gas pains. I'm so freaked out. I am super excited to start my new journey but I am scared about pain. I usually do well with pain as I gave birth to two children with no epidural all natural. Everyone saids if you could do that then this will be super easy. Don't know how true that is

You will do fine. Trust in your doctor(s). If they are on top of things in the hospital, the pain, nausea, and heartburn can be lessened greatly. I was receiving medications for all three in my IV every few hours, though not at the same time. I never had any symptoms other than gas pain. That gas pain is no joke, but I'm sure it will be nothing for you. One of my sleeve buddies has had kids before, and the gas pain was nothing to her. Just make sure you walk, walk, walk. The more I walked, the more comfortable I felt. Good luck on your surgery and journey!

Expect pain, or at the minimum, discomfort. But have no fear, this will all be managed by your hospital team!

1 hour ago, graziellabs said:

I have surgery tomorrow and I feel like vomiting I am so nervous. I think I'm more nervous of what to expect when I wake up. Some people say it's so painful and some say they just had gas pains. I'm so freaked out. I am super excited to start my new journey but I am scared about pain. I usually do well with pain as I gave birth to two children with no epidural all natural. Everyone saids if you could do that then this will be super easy. Don't know how true that is

You are going to be fine. I did wake up in pain but it was the air that they pumped in to check for leaks. Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds, only really necessary the first day. The key I think is to get up and walk. That helped reduce the gas pain. I was freaked out also but it will be over before you know it. Good luck and update us when you feel better!

Don't stress about the pain. I had my surgery on Monday. I was on IV pain relief for about 12 hours and then on Paracetamol for 2 days, now I'm not taking anything.

The gas pain is more of a discomfort then a pain, I had my gas pain in my chest not in my shoulder's like some do.

Good luck with your surgery.

I had my sleeve 48 hours ago. And the other posters are correct. There will be some discomfort. But my hospital aggressively managed for pain and nausea. The gas pain (mostly in my shoulder) was a nuisance but not itself that bad. I did have some belly gas pain which was uncomfortable and came and went. But again, aggressively managed with meds. You will have some uncomfortable moments to be sure, but I experienced no what I would call severe pain. Good luck. You will make this OK!

I have my Surgery on Friday! Can we have gasex to rid the gas? How long does gas pain exist ? Do you need incline to sleep? What's a good sleeping position post op? Any help is appreciated!
Graziellabs I'll keep you in prayers [emoji1303]

I found the best thing for the gas was walking around and deep breathing, the pain lasted about 8 hours.

I did sleep inclined, I didn't have any problems falling asleep, the pain medication knocked me out pretty good.

I was back home last night and just slept in my regular bed, there was no pain at all. The only pain I have is getting up and down from a seated position although its very mild, more like a discomfort then a pain.

I had the surgery and I woke up in really bad gas pain I couldn't even breathe. I walked and walked so much just now at 3:45 am I'm starting to feel better but still some gas. Stomache is sore. Also pain meds make me dry heave and almost vomit.

I had the surgery and I woke up in really bad gas pain I couldn't even breathe. I walked and walked so much just now at 3:45 am I'm starting to feel better but still some gas. Stomache is sore. Also pain meds make me dry heave and almost vomit.

I hope your pain settles down quickly. It will get easier soon.

I understand you're pain! I had mine 5 days ago and the gas pain was the worst part. I know that everyone tells you to walk, that is exactly what I started doing, it was to the point that I was walking several miles a day and I still was getting gas pain. At that moment there were a few changes that I made one was i stopped using the Incentive spirometer, I am young and am staying active by walking so much. It is to the point that I am doing close to three miles at a time and I am breathing deeply and moving enough to where pneumonia is not a worry. I also made a concerted effort to not sip as much air in with my Protein Drinks and Water. I tilt the cup back a bit and don't sip, that helps me to keep from choking down so much air. Not sure if this will help you but I hope it does! I feel your pain and just know that it gets better! I am 5 days out and still in some significant pain but I have DEFINITELY felt worse. Just keep moving and taking your pain medication it gets better!:)

I have gone through 2 procedures - the Band in 2005 and then the VSG this year. I had more pain with the band than with the VSG. A little pain is to be expected but can be well managed.

Work the program - walk - walk then walk some more - its the best way to get rid of the gas pain. You got this.

I have gone through 2 procedures - the Band in 2005 and then the VSG this year. I had more pain with the band than with the VSG. A little pain is to be expected but can be well managed.

Work the program - walk - walk then walk some more - its the best way to get rid of the gas pain. You got this.

Hey I'm recovering but the gas is no joke.