Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How bad are the scars ?

I am waiting for my insurance approval for the gastric sleeve. I know they do it laparoscopically but how bad are the scars ? I will do it either way because the scars will not be as bad as staying this big , but I want to be prepared.

The scars are not that bad at all, at least to me.

I've got 5 of them. Each scar is less than 1 inch long. 1 scar is located directly below my breastbone (sternum) and the other 4 sit horizontally along my lower abdominal area just above the navel.

Even with my tendency for raised keloid scarring, the scars are Water under the bridge.

I'm 3.5 months post op and mine don't bother me at all! I only have two, one vertical incision in my belly button where my stomach was pulled out and a small one in my upper right quadrant to move my liver out of the way. They're darker and slightly raised, but I think they'll fade a little over time. To be honest though, I wouldn't mind if people see them even if they don't fade away haha

20170820_131527.jpg

PA student. I cannot even see them !! You look great btw.

42 minutes ago, nursejackie said:

PA student. I cannot even see them !! You look great btw.

Thank you! I think one of the funniest parts of losing has been that the weight doesn't all come off evenly at the same time, which threw me for a loop. So month 1: I lost 2 inches off my bust and 2 inches off my waist, month 2: I lost 3 inches off my hips, and month 3: I lost 1 inch off my waist

I've just got to keep working at it and trust things will work out eventually :)
Do you have a surgery date yet? I'm excited for you!

27 minutes ago, PAstudent said:

Thank you! I think one of the funniest parts of losing has been that the weight doesn't all come off evenly at the same time, which threw me for a loop. So month 1: I lost 2 inches off my bust and 2 inches off my waist, month 2: I lost 3 inches off my hips, and month 3: I lost 1 inch off my waist

I've just got to keep working at it and trust things will work out eventually :)
Do you have a surgery date yet? I'm excited for you!

LOL !! That is still good , at this point I would just like to see an inch come off of anywhere. My last appointment was 8/7 and they submitted it to insurance. I am annoyed because they called me and said I needed a blood draw for thyroid which they had and then they couldn't find my letter of medical necessity which they had so I am not sure when they ended up submitting it really . I am just waiting for approval now :: fingers crossed :: I can't wait to do this !

2 years later you can barely see mine. I used bio oil and Vitamin E on them as directed by my surgeon.

Surgery 8/9, I have 5 1/2 inch incisions. They look great and only look like scratches on my abdomen. My dr just used steri strips and those started coming off on day 6. Couldn't be happier!

I'm 4 weeks out today and they are barely noticeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Here's what mine look like. I will be two weeks post-op tomorrow. Not bad at all.

The surgeon put glue on mine rather than steri strips and it flaked off a few days ago.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

20170822_082240.jpg

I assume mine will be worse then these great healing experiences. I get keloid scars that typically start out raised, but over the years end up flush, but you can still see different pigmentation/constancy.

OP, do you have any other scars? How did they heal? I'm sure it will be similar to other cuts you have had (if you had any).

Everyone looks great ! I feel much better. JT good point ! I tend to get worse scars than other people , and have gotten keloids before too , especially around piercings ( yeah I had a piercing phase lol ). I just found out I got approved guys !!! I am doing it , hope my scars are ok but a hot and healthy body will be worth it !!