Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 1 post op - my surprises

Well, I finally can feel comfortable enough with my loopiness to post on here. I did want to share some things I was not expecting:

It hurts worse than a c-section

I only had 5 incisions - not 7

Water and ice taste sweet, like sugar is added

SF popsicles and Jello are so sweet it almost burns the back of my throat

broth tastes like overly salty MIso Soup and I used my cup of warm water given for tea to water down the broth so it was somewhat enjoyable.

Breathing hurts, but the more deep breathes you do, the less gas pain you feel in your shoulders. Mine went away a few hours after surgery.

Walking does help relieve gas. For me it was burping. Haven't had it go out the other way yet.

Getting water down is no problem. I've already gone through 100 ounces today. I was a very big water drinker before anyway, drinking a gallon and a half a day.

I have never had so many hiccups as I do here. If I even talk or breathe a certain way, I get a long bout of hiccups. It's painful.

I feel a tightness in my chest/ neck when I'm satisfied and very uncomfortable stomach when I push it. So far it's liquids only but I still feel it.

sleeping is the only thing I have wanted to do. I'll wake up, have water, take pain meds (which are glorious) walk the halls and come back to fall asleep in a chair.

I have only used my pillow, chapstick, travel lotion, and robe. The robe is unnecessary for me but I brought it so I decided to use it.

Surround yourself with pillows even when sitting. I have 3 pillows on me at all times if I'm sitting and it is wonderful. Comfortable with just the right amount of pressure. Plus I can adjust them to support my face for sleeping.

The first thing I did when I was able to walk was go to the bathroom and use a washcloth to wipe down my face arms and body. Then I brushed my teeth and hair. I wiped myself down every time I went to the bathroom the first 24 hours.

Know your nurses. My night nurse is a rockstar. He's funny and quick to make sure I have what I need before I need it. My day nurse leaves little to be desired. I've learned to ask for meds 30 minutes before I badly need them. If I ask when I badly need them, I won't get them for 30 minutes. If you absolutely have zero pain, awesome. I got this surgery because I was tired of trying to be stronger for everyone else and I'm taking meds to get a break from that. I don't need to tough this one out.

Know when you're tired and let yourself sleep. My eyes literally start getting double vision when I'm tired and I have to close one eye to be able to see what I'm typing. It took me 3 naps to get through this post.

HW: 328 (02/21/17)

CW: 275 (preop 53# disowned)

Congrats on your new journey. I know you'll do well. Keep up posted and get some rest.

Glad to see you checking in! Thx for the update.

I hopped on here the day after surgery to read your post! I was too out of it to post myself though. Your story basically sums up my experience so far. I woke up 3 hours after surgery with horrible gas pain. It mostly effected my abdomen and back. I did not have anything to drink that evening but managed to drink 2 oz of Muscle Milk and 3oz of Water the next morning starting at 11:00 am. I was discharged at 4:00 pm on May 25th. My pain level has improved a LOT. Moving around definitely helps! I'm starting to burp and pass gass. Burping hurts a bit. I'm still not meeting my Protein or hydration goals but I'm doing better. Protein Shakes feel very 'heavy' for some reason. I've started drinking a clear protein infused water called Protein20 as my 'hydrating fluid'. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up that way.

Edited by memyselfandirene

I had surgery Feb 2 years ago. The day of surgery the anesthesiologist gave me too much stuff and I was out from 10am til until 11pm. Whoops! My husband was going to bed to sleep and I was waking up. I did hurt a lot the 1st night and into the next day but by the time I went home I was off my pain meds and back to a normal routine minus heavy lifting. I know, I'm odd.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

My procedure was at 10 am ... I slept until 5:30 pm! No pain pump or oral pain meds needed. No N/V. Ached when deep breathe, cough and IS. Went home fine the next day. I say I got lucky . Exercise, Protein and Water!

My procedure was at 10 am ... I slept until 5:30 pm! No pain pump or oral pain meds needed. No N/V. Ached when deep breathe, cough and IS. Went home fine the next day. I say I got lucky . Exercise, Protein and Water!

I was home on day 3. I was surprised I didn't need pain meds and recovered so quickly. I was told to walk by the doc, and I did. My fitbit recorded 7miles that 1st week. Then I was told I did too much. What? I can't walk Sam's, Kroger, and Walmart in the same weekend? Apparently not. At least I wasn't at goodwill or the mall, right?

I'm trying to get as much exercise as I can to! Staying away from wanting buy smaller clothes in anticipation :) down about 13 lbs/5 days. We can do this

Day 5 pot op and things are just getting better in the bloating/gas. I broke my own rule and weighed myself yesterday. I was up 17 pounds since surgery. That's hard to see even when I know it could only be from swelling, iv and bloating. This morning I physically felt a little less bloated and since I took a mile and a third walk last night, I'm sure it's due to that. I'll weigh myself today or tomorrow I'm sure just to see how much the extra walking helped.

HW: 328 (02/21/17)
SW: 271 (05/24/17)
CW:

B.Annie, hi. I too broke my own rule; I told myself I would only weigh once a week! I now want to weigh myself every morning and sometimes even before bed . The walking really help me get rid of the gas and kick things in gear.
I see your stats pre surgery and start you got off to a great start! We can do this

I never weigh myself. I'm 2 years out. I let my clothes speak for me. I don't own scales. I let the doc's office weigh me and that's it. Immediately postop you are bloated from all the IV fluids and the surgery itself. I don't recommend weighing for the 1st month at all. Just let the change in clothing sizes let you feel good about yourself towards the end of the 1st month. I'm very laid-back about being overweight or a more normal weight. I had surgery for 2 reasons, I was overweight, but I wasnt depressed about it. And more importantly, I have a heart condition that forced me to lose weight. Bypass in my case was the best choice because I'm also disabled.

My hubs had to tell me to go clothes shopping when I couldn't fit in his jeans anymore (I cheated and stole his 1st) I wore a size 40 waist at my largest and he wears a 34 waist. I just didn't want to buy clothes I would wear a week or 2 at most. Turned out to be a smart move. I got maybe a week or 2 in his jeans before he made me go buy smaller sizes.

Edited by GAWildKat
Added more stuff

That's great advice! A week or two before needing to change size, that is great! I'm looking forward to doing as well,as you're doing! Thanks for the great advice