Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone

As Holy month of Ramadan is approaching where every muslim keeps fast from dawn to dusk aprox (15 hrs) I'm 7 months out of gastric sleeve surgery and lost 41 kgs . I still haven't managed to eat more then 1/4 plate food . everyone is different i have seen people earlier out then me and eating more but that's okay . Sometimes i feel dizzy especially when i wake up in the morning , i take one multi Vitamin tablet each day . I don't know if i should push my self trying to eat more or continue as I'm . Because i do eat very little and get full like just one drumstick at a time , 3 pcs chicken nuggets , less then quarter breast or 3 chicken wings .

I try to drink more then 1.5L Water

Now i need help knowing what i should be eating during Ramadan before starting my fast and after breaking my fast because we do have little time for eating and if during that time i might only be able to eat one complete meal i feel i will be very weak and it's my first Ramadan after surgery

Any tips what small Snacks i should have during night and what good meals should i have in order not to be dehydrated.

TIA

All suggestions welcome also those not fasting :)

Thank you for reading

I think your religion would understand you have to eat. There isn't any way around it, you will get hungry eventually and you don't want to ruin your process or stretch out your stomach.

Isn't there provision for those convalescing? Aren't you considered to be healing still?

It's not a race... try out a day or two if you want but don't feel bad if you can't make it. There's always next year, remember. My mil felt ashamed and horrible for years because she couldn't fast for health reasons, I understand the social pressure is huge but health first you know!

Try to eat the highest Protein Rich foods you can at the time you are allowed to eat.. Maybe try an extra scoop of Protein Powder to a drink. sorry I'm not familiar with fasting.. but when you are finished fasting because it's seems like you may not be getting in enough protein anyway.. My nutritionist suggested to eat 1 ounce of protein every hour instead of trying to get it all in during just a couple of meals a day.. I hope you find your Solution your looking for...

Try to eat the highest Protein Rich foods you can at the time you are allowed to eat.. Maybe try an extra scoop of protein powder to a drink. sorry I'm not familiar with fasting.. but when you are finished fasting because it's seems like you may not be getting in enough protein anyway.. My nutritionist suggested to eat 1 ounce of protein every hour instead of trying to get it all in during just a couple of meals a day.. I hope you find your Solution your looking for...

That's a good idea to try might work out
Xoxo

I'm an Orthodox Jew, so I understand the concern about fasting, and admire your commitment to giving it a try. It is pretty rough to try to go 15hrs without food or Water. A couple of the Jewish fasts are 25hrs, which isn't much fun either.

That said, there's two components to this:

1. Can you fast for a single day? I'll bet you absolutely could.

2. Can you fast for a month straight? That's a dicier proposition. I would be extremely concerned about dehydration and malnutrition at that point. There are going to be repercussions for not meeting your Protein and fluid goals for a month.

I am not really familiar with Shariah, but in Jewish law, there's a concept called "shiurim" where eating/drinking a certain very small amount does not void your fast, and in cases of the infirm, you can essentially utilize that over the fast to keep the fast while not hurting yourself. You might consider checking to see if there's a parallel concept in your religious law.

Either way, best of luck.

@alaisha96

I 16:8 fast every day and have since about 6 months post op. Granted most of it is when I am sleeping, but you should be fine to fast with your sleeve. It should make it super easy to fast, actually.

Since you need a lot of fluids. your best option is to do liquids in the morning. liquid Protein Drinks, followed by as much Water as possible.

Then in the evenings I would eat as much meat as possible and then drink as much as possible.

I gave up a lot of things for Lent, that I did not have to. It was etremely hard but it forced me to learn a lot about myself, and I have a greater understanding of myself.

Before Ramadan starts you should really working on drinking fluids, faster. The more you practice at it, the more you can drink and faster. You need to practice ahead of time and get a good idea how much you can drink and how fast. Also I would drinking like I said above, Protein drinks over water. They still count as fluids but you are getting protein and nutrition.

bit-tawfīq

I'm an Orthodox Jew, so I understand the concern about fasting, and admire your commitment to giving it a try. It is pretty rough to try to go 15hrs without food or Water. A couple of the Jewish fasts are 25hrs, which isn't much fun either.
That said, there's two components to this:
1. Can you fast for a single day? I'll bet you absolutely could.
2. Can you fast for a month straight? That's a dicier proposition. I would be extremely concerned about dehydration and malnutrition at that point. There are going to be repercussions for not meeting your Protein and fluid goals for a month.
I am not really familiar with Shariah, but in Jewish law, there's a concept called "shiurim" where eating/drinking a certain very small amount does not void your fast, and in cases of the infirm, you can essentially utilize that over the fast to keep the fast while not hurting yourself. You might consider checking to see if there's a parallel concept in your religious law.
Either way, best of luck.

Thank you for your reply
You do have a very valid point , that i can of course fast a day or week but a month would be too dehydrating for me as I already feel malnutrition when I can eat drink anytime i want and unfortunately we are not allowed to drink or eat in any exception . Yes there is exception of not keeping fast at all if someone is not keeping well :)
I will try and see the outcome but if by any chance i felt causing harm to my health i have to unfortunately stop and keep my fasts later another time slowly slowly

[mention=319320]alaisha96[/mention]
I 16:8 fast every day and have since about 6 months post op. Granted most of it is when I am sleeping, but you should be fine to fast with your sleeve. It should make it super easy to fast, actually.
Since you need a lot of fluids. your best option is to do liquids in the morning. Liquid Protein drinks, followed by as much Water as possible.
Then in the evenings I would eat as much meat as possible and then drink as much as possible.
I gave up a lot of things for Lent, that I did not have to. It was etremely hard but it forced me to learn a lot about myself, and I have a greater understanding of myself.
Before Ramadan starts you should really working on drinking fluids, faster. The more you practice at it, the more you can drink and faster. You need to practice ahead of time and get a good idea how much you can drink and how fast. Also I would drinking like I said above, Protein drinks over water. They still count as fluids but you are getting protein and nutrition.

bit-tawfīq

Thanks for replying
That's what I thought first that the rest left hrs of not fasting is actually sleeping time so it will be hard to cope up eating and drink in very short span of time.
Even though I'm 7 months out still i find it hard drinking a lot of water and I'm scared of being very dehydrated coming month .
But I will try as much as I can as you suggested i will have Protein Shakes mostly before suhoor right? And after futoor i should have protein in form of meat/food ..
I will start drinking faster now on

Yeah it is hard with the limited window you have to eat, like I do all my eating in an 8 hour time period but it is noon to 8 pm.

You are probably going to have to adjust your sleep schedule some to make this work, but I have faith in you that you can do it.

You might as well do it now, because even if you can't do it now, you would have to do it later anyway.

Yeah it is hard with the limited window you have to eat, like I do all my eating in an 8 hour time period but it is noon to 8 pm.
You are probably going to have to adjust your sleep schedule some to make this work, but I have faith in you that you can do it.
You might as well do it now, because even if you can't do it now, you would have to do it later anyway.

Yes I will inshAllah :)