Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! New here!..... Why do I feel this way?

Hi! I've been lurking here for a couple of months now, learning everything I can about the lap band. I saw the surgeon today and got my date, November 12th. Am I happy?... YES; Am I sad?.... YES; Am I nervous?....YES; Is this the right decision for me?....I thought so, but now why would I feel this way?

I'm happy because I realize that I need help. I'm sad because I can't believe it has come to this. I'm nervous because it is surgery.

A month ago I was 100% on board for surgery and knew that is was MY ANSWER! Why now do I doubt myself? Nothing has changed that suddenly lets me lose weight and keep it off, I still feel tired and sluggish, I still feel that life is passing me by, so why for one minute would I think "Maybe this is too drastic"?

When the doctor asked me to tell him why I needed WLS I got sort of emotional. It wasn't like I didn't know all the reasons (to feel better, look better, do more things with my kids outdoors, play tennis and wear the little tennis skirt). I mean I wasn't surprised and I had written all these things down in my general information sheet that they require early on in the process. I think maybe it was because I actually had to say them out loud, to somebody else. Gosh, I don't know.

Please someone tell me this is the normal process. I did pass my psychological test and I've never had any issues.

I hope these feelings of doom and gloom will quickly pass so I can get back to thinking my life will have a second chance starting in November.

Sorry for the long post.

Don't know how to break this to you, but you are 100% right on target....normal!!!!

Most of us went through the wide array of emotions.

In my case, the depression was similar, it was shocking to me that I had allowed myself to get to a point I required surgery! I was worried about not having food to fall back on. I worried about what others would think of my decision. And as you say, it IS surgery afterall full of its own risks.

In the end, excitement won out!!! I would look through the before and after thread, and just marvel at the changes...fill myself up with a new dose of inspiration!

Was it worth the emotional roller coaster? Oh yeah!!!

I love my band, would do it again in a heart beat, and can only tell you that yes, you ARE normal!!!

Leaving behind the way of life we knew and our old eating habits, is a type of mourning....let it happen. Soon you will realize what a love/hate relationship you had with food, and will find you no longer have the guilt associated with the overeating we always did.

Hang in there, log on, and find one of us who understand the emotions---most of us were there! We'll do whatever we can to help you through the nerves as your day approaches!!! It is a GREAT decision you made to take control of your life back!!!

Welcome to LBT!

Kat

I am not banded yet....BUT

This is a LIFE ALTERING desicion. And with any life alterning decision we feel the same emotions. ((If you were getting married they would call this 'cold feet'))

I just moved from NC to MI and I felt the same things, happy/sad/nervous, even though I had carefully weigh the pros and cons, evaluated other options, etc. etc......

And as big as that decision was.....I think the band is much bigger. Its surgery! Just like you said. That alone makes it a big big HUGE deal. Not to mention all the emotional years (assuming you're like me) you've tried to get the weight off yourself.

I am just beginning to look into this, I did my seminar today, and the realization of how fat I really am is hitting home even harder than not fitting into any of my clothes, going to the beach and noticing people looking at me....like some of the stuff you had said too.

Seeing everyones comments here is sooo encouraging. And their successes are so amazing....I WANT THAT TO BE ME TOO! And I know you are ready for that to be you too. I know you are on the right track to a better healthier life. And I am jealous that you are further along than I am. Keep focusing on the positive and all that lead you to make this decision in the first place. AND please keep us posted on your progress, I want to know how your surgery goes!!!!

I felt exactly the way you did. I was all excited about going to see the surgeon. When I got home from seeing him, I said to my husband, I don't think I am going to get it done.

Having it done was like having to admit that I had a problem, and yes the thought of it being very drastic also crossed my mind. I went through the happy, sad, nervous and even somewhat neurotic stages at times. But once I calmed down, I decided that it would be the best thing I could do for myself.

I have now been banded for 3 days and I am so glad I have had it done - the new chapter in my healthy life has began!!

YOu will be fine, breath. I went through a ton of emotion during my surgery. Especially right before the surgery. I had a major meltdown. How did I get here. We all have our journey. I am just so happy to be banded now.

Thanks for your post bparris, it made me cry because you hit the nail on the head for me (obviously I'm feeling a little emotional this morning). I am meeting up with my surgeon on 10 October (in Australia) and he will set a date for me... I think I'm doing the right thing but then I spiral into the fear of how could I let it come to this... my eating and other bad habits have gone out of control in the last couple of months because of the fear and anxiety. I have been on many diets and exercise regimes all my life with success but could never seem to stay on them long enough to lose all the weight and of course over a period of time the weight was back on again. like it couldn't tear itself away from me !! :) In my heart I know I'm doing the right thing for me because of the fact that my weight has started to affect my health in the last few years and I hate this constant feeling of never feel totally well any more. Anyway, good luck to you and everyone else and hopefully D day for me is only a couple of weeks away !! :car:

bparris

My insurance has approved me for the surgery, I am just waiting for my psych eval (10/12) and then my surgery will be scheduled within 2-3 weeks. It was so easy to get approved, I have been researching this for more than two years, trying to decide between lapband and RNY bypass. I guess I expected the approval process to take months so I would have more time to say goodbye to food. It has all happened so fast, I am freaking out inside, but I know in my heart of hearts, this is the right thing to do or I am going to die by 50, just like my mom.

I don't think I can say anything to make it better for you other than I know exactly how you are feeling. When I read your post it read like something I had thought.

Good luck, stay strong.

I just wanted to thank all of you for your kind words. I am feeling better about it today (more positive). I was really caught off guard by my emotions because I felt confident that my mind was made up and I would be strong. I now realize that this has to be a part of the entire process. food has been my best friend for a l o n g time! Now it is time to say good bye!

I am ready to change my life! ;)

If I said I didnt have second thoughts, i'd be lying to you. Right up to the day before surgeryI was wondering if this was the right thing to do. Now, 36 days after surgery, I am so glad that I went thru it. You will feel so much better, have more energy and be able to enjoy things that were not possible before. I'm down 50 lbs so far, lots to go, but ts been a great trip so far. Good luck, post up when you get banded......Dave

I am so glad you posted this message, seeing surgeon on 10/16 and very, very nervous. I wanted to hear so badly that a new band was happy she had it done. Please keep posting.

i felt the same way. Everyone around me was losing weight and i've been trying for years! i get to certain point and the weight comes back. When i went in for my consulation, i started crying. I couldn't take this any longer but was i ready for something so drastic.

Well now it's done and i'm ready....well it's a constant battle but i'm ready for it! It's all about the support system of friends and family and thinking of all the things you can do when you've lost the weight.