Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 8 days out and so HUNGRY! I know what head hunger is and that is not what this is. My stomach is growling and the fluids (water, broth of all kinds) & Protein are not filling me up. I can drink about 3/4 cup in less than 15 minutes. I feel full (it doesn't hurt but I can feel the fullness). Less than 20 minutes later I am hungry again. I end up heating up a cup of stuff each time bc I know within a couple hours it will all be gone. Is this normal?!?! I wrote my nutrionist that my surgeon requires me to work with but I honestly think she is a dingbat. I just want more of something....eggs sound so good and maybe some applesauce. I see people that had both the day they left the hospital and I don't understand why the phases of food are so drastic between surgeons. I honestly am depressed that I have to do this another 6 days. It doesn't seem like a long time, but to someone who is hungry it is :( I am doing really well with recovery. I haven't had pain meds since day 2, I sleep all night like 7 hours at least, I have zero pain. I have been up and living life since day 3. I cut grass, pulled weeds, went shopping, went to an amusement park (no rides though). So I'm being active...I just want to eat!

Keep drinking Protein and broth and Water. Really, It will be fine. Make sure you are getting your protein and fluids in. Your stomach needs to heal that's why you can't have solid or semi-solid food. Be patient. It may not be hunger, but may be reflux. Has your team put you on a PPI like Protonix? Ask your surgeon's office about using a reflux medication. In the first days, for me, reflux felt like hunger.

are you on an antacid?? This is a very important aspect. I was constantly "hungry" too. Ended up it was excess acid and because this surgery messes with our nerves it can send the "wrong" signal.

The liquid phase of the post-op diet is certainly not the most fun part of the journey, but it is necessary to support your healing. How much Protein are you taking in through your liquids? It might be possible to stave off some of the hunger by mixing more unflavored Protein Powder into your broth. Otherwise, keep having the liquids you can have at this stage. The next stage will come along soon.

I want to now when can you tell you are full I cant

I am 8 days out and so HUNGRY! I know what head hunger is and that is not what this is. My stomach is growling and the fluids (water, broth of all kinds) & Protein are not filling me up. I can drink about 3/4 cup in less than 15 minutes. I feel full (it doesn't hurt but I can feel the fullness). Less than 20 minutes later I am hungry again. I end up heating up a cup of stuff each time bc I know within a couple hours it will all be gone. Is this normal?!?! I wrote my nutrionist that my surgeon requires me to work with but I honestly think she is a dingbat. I just want more of something....eggs sound so good and maybe some applesauce. I see people that had both the day they left the hospital and I don't understand why the phases of food are so drastic between surgeons. I honestly am depressed that I have to do this another 6 days. It doesn't seem like a long time, but to someone who is hungry it is [emoji20] I am doing really well with recovery. I haven't had pain meds since day 2, I sleep all night like 7 hours at least, I have zero pain. I have been up and living life since day 3. I cut grass, pulled weeds, went shopping, went to an amusement park (no rides though). So I'm being active...I just want to eat!

I had surgery on 4/6/17 . I totally understand . [emoji17][emoji17][emoji17]

This is the hardest phase .. I remember counting the days when I would be able to introduce he purees but your almost there... you can do this.

Are you having jello.. I also drank sugar free peach Snapple.. got sick of water.. This process is very hard. I am post 4 months and can say I am a little better then I was. But those two months are terrible. Have a friend who shared with me that the first year overall is the worst but after the year things improve.. I HOPE SO....

I jumped the gun on my transition to soft foods because my surgeon said I could. Maybe call his/her office and ask for clearance for an occasional scrambled egg?

aaak same here, sleeved 04/05 and I have dreams of eggs! Anything but these stupid Protein Shakes. Week 4 of this and I am feeling very sorry for myself as well. Good to know I am not alone. I don't like Jello so I have Face 0% Greek yogurt and Fairlife 0% and flavorless Protein powder. Also no sugar Popsicles and chicken broth. One day at the time @megh02

I was the exact same way. I felt hungrier after surgery than I had during the preop liquid diet. It got a little bit better with each day that passed. Now that I am on soft foods it has completely shifted, and I am having trouble taking in enough food. Hang in there. I know it's hard when you feel so hungry. For me, it felt so discouraging because I anticipated that there wouldn't be hunger after the surgery. I hope you can hang in there for the time remaining until you move to soft foods, and know that it really will begin to lessen soon.

Hang in there.. with time it gets better. For those who think it's about making excuses.. you are entitle to your opinion.. but the struggle in the beginning of this process is VERY REAL.. It's individuals like you that make those contemplating vsg that are given this false sense of believing this is great.

Yes it's a positive in being a tool to assist those struggling with morbid obesity but there is noting easy about the psychological.. emotional and mental changes you will under go specifically in the first few months of this process.

For those like myself who have been struggling.. keep moving forward and find what foods will work for you when your able to have solids. Same routine does not fit all when it comes to vsg..

I was sleeved 4/7 and totally get it. I'm trying to figure out how often I should eat and how many oz per sitting. They had me drinking every 15 minutes, surely that can't still be the case. I have my follow up appointment on Monday so making my list of questions now

4 hours ago, joannrmn said:

Hang in there.. with time it gets better. For those who think it's about making excuses.. you are entitle to your opinion.. but the struggle in the beginning of this process is VERY REAL.. It's individuals like you that make those contemplating vsg that are given this false sense of believing this is great.

Yes it's a positive in being a tool to assist those struggling with morbid obesity but there is noting easy about the psychological.. emotional and mental changes you will under go specifically in the first few months of this process.

For those like myself who have been struggling.. keep moving forward and find what foods will work for you when your able to have solids. Same routine does not fit all when it comes to vsg..

I am pre op but I thought that this was such a beautiul thing to say. I honestly was thinking maybe this site wasn't for me anymore because a few of the people can be a little harsh. Not everyone responds the best to that. I originally thought this site was a God send and I still do but the harshness and negativity from some does get me down sometimes. I admire of your strength and frankly I am terrified. I hope that I can handle the pain and emotions and go along with this.