Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI - forewarned - constipation

This is majorly TMI so back arrow if you need to.

Posting this who may need the reassurance and help like I did. I of course am not a doctor but here's my situation. I had surgery on 3/23/17, so I'm only a week out. I've been on the liquid diet and my pain meds this whole time. Until yesterday I was not able to fully meet the 64oz requirement. My surgeon told me to build up to it and I did. I've been sleepy alot from the pain meds making me drowsy and from recovering overall. My walking consisted of walking around the house and outside some to keep things moving. Until yesterday. I felt up for going shopping, no bending but i drove the cart while the fiance grabbed the groceries. Walked around for quite a bit. This helped work out gas....and Constipation. Holy moly. I don't even remember not going, I was going some everyday so I thought things were fine...at least I think I was. With this working out and the pain meds, the Iron supplement, the more sitting than standing, and the not meeting my Water goals i had severely hard and dry stool. One of the worst pains I've experienced. I couldn't get the last but out, I was agonizing in pain. I checked my "okay" meds for after surgery and milk of magnesia was suggested. I took 30ml, which is the smaller dose. It did nothing. I was so scared (This was a longer ordeal but sparing you the details) I almost went to the ER. I really didn't want to do that so I called my surgeons office (mind you it's midnight by this time) to see if there was an after hours emergency number but the call went right to this after hours number who sent me to the on call doctor who told me that I didn't take enough. Told me to take the full dose and give it the 6 hours. So I did. I made myself chill out and fall asleep. Woke up 4 hours later and it worked. It was still painful as all to pass that but it worked. I've had this full ache on my right side that I thought was gas and maybe it was but ever since all of this passed it is gone!!

Sharing this as I've heard this is common, not sure if it was as painful and severe as mine but in case....i highly advise you drink all of your water asap! And walk, even just a 10 minute walk around your neighborhood. I thought getting up and around my house was enough but it was not. I'm so glad I'm not going to the ER, that would have been humiliating. Sorry for TMI, but felt it was important to share.

I never had Constipation. My doctor starts all his patients on stool softners post op day 1 as a preventative measure. I had surgery on a Thursday, came home Saturday. Had my first BM Monday.

I didn't take a stool softener every day in the beginning, I wish I would have it would have made life a lot easier.

Fluids and walking really helps with Constipation.

I'm glad you found a solution and shared.

Good luck with your recovery.

@deflationinprogress i cant believe you posted this yesterday..i was in the same exact situation. I called the doctors offc before going to hospital. My doctor suggested i take Miralax all day and take a few enemas..yuck...i am still in pain.. but i am working on it.
I have not been walking.. but it definitely start today!!

Constipation can become a long term issue after wls. First off you should drop the narcotics. Go to Tylenol. Narcotics bind you up terribly and you should not need them by now.

Water in little sips through out the day. You can mix Metamucil into the Water or a little juice. Take colace if your doctor clears you for it.

Milk of magnesia works wonders if it gets bad again.

But mainly: no more narcotics, drink water, walk, take fiber.

A bowel regime after surgery is essential. Mine is Metamucil every day, three capsules, water, and prune juice on occasion.

I eat 1 prune a day and it has solved my problems. My surgeon said, don't expect the bowel movements you had before, you may only have one every 2-3 days from this point on. He was right.

I had the exact same issue but ended up in the ER. I was impacted and had Colitis from the hard stool. Like you, I had been going a little bit each day. I was admitted. I now take Miralax each night.

I'm almost 3 weeks out. I've been using enemas every couple days. I like enemas for their immediate results. I simply plan to stay on the toilet for 20 minutes, and I'm good to go!

Last night I drank Smooth Move tea at bedtime. Woke up at 5am and had to stay near the toilet for two hours. Uncomfortable cramps! Had good results, but am looking forward to adding Fiber (my plan recommends fiber after 3 weeks). My favorite fiber supplement turns thick in the cup like oatmeal.. so have to wait until oatmeal is allowed.

I use a stool softener.

There's a guy on YouTube (great videos from Fighting 400) and he said he used the Squatty Potty and that made a big difference. Hysterical commercials but I've heard it can really help.