Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello I've been trying to get gastric sleeve surgery for about 2 years now. My PCP does not believe in the weight loss surgery she's put me on a couple of weight loss medications that have not worked because the side effects were bad. She has referred me to a dietitian which I will be seeing on Tuesday. The dietitian specializes in bariatric surgery help. Can a dietitian approve weight loss surgery, or does my PCP have to? I fit the criteria for weight loss surgery my BMI is currently 47.5 I have high blood pressure I have PCOS and a obesity family history.. my husband also thinks I have sleep apnea but I have yet to test that. My PCP is no help I am hoping this dietitian can help me any thoughts you can help me with

Yeah I was thinking about that to . Where I go it's a practice and I asked for her the other doctor at one time suggested that I get it so maybe I'll see if I could start seeing him again so I guess a PCP has to approve it?

I don't think the dietician can refer for surgery but you should get a different PCP. Don't let the PCP waste anymore of your time. Depending on insurance you may be able to select a surgeon who will submit paperwork and work with your PCP (old or new)...goodluck!

Find a new PCP for sure.
You could call your insurance and find out the exact requirements.
I would think a dietician would not be able to approve for surgery.

Depends on your insurance requirements, as well as the bariatric program you choose. I just had my initial consult this Friday and found out my insurance does not require PCP clearance, but lots of plans do. Some bariatric programs may still require it even if it's not required by insurance.

I also second suggestions to find a new PCP.

Edited by MSinger

If you see a gyno a cardiologist or a pulmonary dr regularly any of those are considered primary drs they can do it don't let that dr stop you they don't have to believe in it it's your life not theirs

5 hours ago, mspatches320 said:

Hello I've been trying to get gastric sleeve surgery for about 2 years now.

If you need help, message me, I can try and find you a new doctor.

I can sympathize. My Endo told me to stop eating so much and exercise more when I went to him about possible surgery. He knows I have PCOS and that I've struggled.

Solution? I got a new Endo. PCOS is a struggle and it doesn't matter what you eat or how much you exercise because you're trapped in an endless loop of 'lose the weight to get rid of PCOS, but you have to cure the PCOS to lose the weight'.

Get a new PCP and don't let anyone waste your time. Good luck!

I'm with everyone else on this one. It seems you have your mind set on getting WLS, so try to change your PCP and get a second opinion. It seems your current PCP has personal feelings towards WLS and probably won't make the process any easier. You want a doctor who is going to support you and help out during this life changing process.

Good luck!