Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Try Biotin. They sell it at drugstores and you can also find it online - I've seen melts for this (where they dissolve on your tongue) so that might be a good option if you have trouble swallowing pills. Most doc's are OK with this med as well. It also helps to grow stronger nails. Good stuff!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

You can try whatever you like but it will be a waste of money. The reason for hair loss is the trauma your body goes through and lack of Vitamin and nutrition. If it is going to happen, it is unstoppable..Keep in mind that some people don't ever lose hair. Let's hope you are one of the lucky few. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by gustavio

Biotin and making sure I take in enough Protein even when I don't feel like eating/drinking

I agree with gustavio, save your money. Definitely get in your required Protein and Water for more reasons than just hairloss.

I was convinced I wouldn't lose that much, my hair is/"was" so thick. But starting at 4 months, OMG and it continues to come out in huge clumps every time I wash it. I really notice it, but most people do not (so far). I'm approaching six months so i hope to see a turn-a-round soon. It is reported to slow down soon and start growing again. Looking forward to that.

Taking Biotin will also produce facial hair, if you care about that.

One of the daily Vitamins my dr has me on is Biotin. Check with your dr to see how many mcg they want you to take daily. Also make sure you take in required amt of Protein. Any chemical treatment done to hair within first cple monthes after surgery will make you lose hair due to sometbing with anesthesia? (I guess-was told this by hairstylist). Also the change is diet will cause Hair loss.< /p>

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using the BariatricPal App

As others have said, getting your Vitamins and Protein in is the best thing you can do. I also cut my hair short about two months post-op so when my hair started falling out around 3.4 months post-op, it wasn't as noticeable. Biotin does help thicken and strengthen hair, but it probably won't do much to prevent Hair loss or make it grow back faster. I had biotin in my Multivitamin, but didn't take any extra.

Biotin is a good natural product to use. It will strengthen your hair, nails, skin. Every supplement/medications have side effects. Biotin could possibly increase facial hair and cause acne among other things. I counteract the side effects with a Vitamin B complex, which is good for you as it will help increase blood flow to the scalp. And of course a multivitamin, Protein, and Water. A Shampoo wtih Vitamin E and Keratin. I am a nurse practitioner and I have prescribed this to many patients and have seen great results. As always, check with your doctor before taking any supplements. Best Wishes!

You guys do know Biotin is a Vitamin B and there is no evidence that is makes facial hair. It is a Water soluable vitamin which means your body will take what it needs and urinate out the rest.

I had a bad experience in the past where Biotin caused an increase in body and facial hair growth so I skipped it this time around.

I had very thick hair but lost a significant amount starting at 3 months post op. I'm 6 months post now and it seems to have slowed down. I have been using products that apply directly to the scalp since surgery and have seen good new growth so I'm confident eventually my hair will grow back to the way it was before. The products I've been using are Nioxon and Phytocane serum.

The biggest change for me is having to use volumizing, texturizing and thickening styling products when in the past I used to use products that tamed my hair and made it sleek.

I've been curious if I will see hair loss. I'm 13 weeks out and I haven't lost anything significant at this point. I was on a ketogenic diet for 3 months prior to surgery and I did experience a significant thinning from that. I have been hoping that maybe all the effects happened pre-surgery. Any thoughts?

I am five months out and started actively shedding at 3.5 months. I have been stuck at the same weight for several weeks, and I swear it seems like my hair loss has slowed a bit in that time, but that could just be wishful thinking. I was concerned about Hair loss because I had already experienced thinning over the past few years do to a thyroid disorder, so I wanted to be ready for this.

I have been using Nioxin shampoo/conditioner since right after my surgery, and I have Biotin in my Multivitamin. I can't say that either has done much, but perhaps they have??

What has been REALLY valuable to me is Topik hair fibers (http://www.toppik.com/), which I love! I get mine at Ulta, and I also like the Topik sprays. They really help to add coverage and body in thin areas. I always feel more confident. They stay put throughout the day, and then they wash right out when you shower.

I also went ahead an bought a hair topper, just in case! http://www.uniwigs.com/hair-pieces/40116-charm-remy-human-hair-top-hairpiece.html

I started to feel a lot better about managing the loss once I had a few tools in my arsenal. I also have had a lot of frank conversations with other women and stylists and have discovered that hair loss (for a variety of reasons) is more common than we know, and more people that you would ever imagine use products and hair pieces.

It won't last forever ... and even if it does, it's a small price to pay for my health. :)

I've been curious if I will see hair loss. I'm 13 weeks out and I haven't lost anything significant at this point. I was on a ketogenic diet for 3 months prior to surgery and I did experience a significant thinning from that. I have been hoping that maybe all the effects happened pre-surgery. Any thoughts?

Most people start seeing post-op Hair loss around 3-4 months post-op. Mine started right around 3.5 months out and lasted about two months. The causes for hair loss in WLS patients are anesthesia, rapid weight loss, malnutrition, and stress. Not every WLS patient experiences all four of those causes, but even one of them can cause some hair loss.

Most people start seeing post-op Hair loss around 3-4 months post-op. Mine started right around 3.5 months out and lasted about two months. The causes for hair loss in WLS patients are anesthesia, rapid weight loss, malnutrition, and stress. Not every WLS patient experiences all four of those causes, but even one of them can cause some hair loss.

I had double hernia surgery almost a year to the day of my WLS and I've had two C-sections. I did experience hair loss with all three, but nothing that I would call significant. I have good hair. I want to keep it. LOL. I'll gladly take the trade off any day.